• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

"Controlling" where houses appear.

AoJones

Ao of Sorami
Bells
While surfing the interwebs I found this neat trick someone had been using (note: have not tested myself). This method somewhat controls where and who moves in to your town. Here's the steps that you should follow:
1) On a day a fenced area (new house plot) is expected to appear DON'T start the game with the mayor. Instead make a new character (do not save yet).

2) Use the new character once they get to the town to find the expected house plot.

3a) If the location/expected neighbor is to your liking then save and delete the new character (if wanted).
-END of tutorial if this is your choice-

3b) If the location/expected neighbor isn't what you wanted, reset the game (as in quit without saving) and make another new character.

4)With your second new character search for the plot that should be somewhere in your town. By following step 3b as long as it's the same day where the plot is to show up it will possibly be in the different location and be a different animal.

Here's the source: http://www.animalcrossingcommunity.com/Topic/5776834/1/Stop_Animals_From_Moving_Anywhere_

Pocky's hypothesis on how to get it to work after first 9 villagers:
HYPOTHESIS:
The game will eventually need to give me new villagers. After enough days, there should be a 100% chance of getting a new villager.

DAY 0 OF TESTING:

Soleil Moves Out. The area where her house was once in is now empty.

DAY 1 OF TESTING:

After resetting several times, I notice that most of the time I just get empty plots. Occasionally, I'll see a fenced plot for a villager that I dislike so I just reset the game in hopes of getting something else. But 90% of the time I get maps with no new villagers moving in.
Finally, I get annoyed and save with empty plot. Nobody moves in today.
I go in with my mayor and perform my daily chores.

THE EVENTS OF DAY 1 REPEATED THEMSELVES DURING DAY(S) 2 - 6

DAY 7 OF TESTING:

I log into the game to see that Hazel is trying to move in! (she keeps trying to move in, btw. I play via WiFi with a friend a lot and Hazel left her town recently. I'm guessing that she is trying to move to my town after she left Mew's town?)
I reset the game. And make a new character to see that Flo is moving in.
I reset again. This time Mira is moving in. I really like her, but I reset again for the sake of science!
I reset again. This time Ren?e is moving in. I really like her, but I reset again for the sake of science!
I reset again. This time Paula is moving in.
I reset again. This time Flo is moving in. Again =___=
I reset again. This time Shari is moving in.
I reset again. This time Charlise is moving in.
I reset again. This time Katt is moving in.
I reset again. This time Frita is moving in.
After resetting the game 10 times and finding a new fenced plot each time, I have assumed that on the 7th day there will be a 100% chance of finding a fenced plot.
Pocky's tutorial on how to get control after first nine villagers:
HOW TO DO IT:

The next day after a villager moves out, start the game with a new character. If you find a fenced plot for a villager that you do not like, reset the game without saving. Save the game if you either:
a) find fenced plot for a character that you do like
or
b) a map with no fenced plots.
**note: do not waste your time resetting if you don't find any fenced plots. just save**
Go and play with your mayor as you normally would (at this point you could delete the new character that you have created.)
Repeat all of these steps throughout the beginning of the following days until you either:
a) find a fenced plot for a villager that you do like
b) get to day 7
On the seventh day, you will find a fenced plot every time. At this point you can just keep making new characters and reset the game over and over until you find something that you like.

WARNINGS:
DON'T time travel unless you do it little by litt;e and talk to every villager that you'd like to keep, otherwise you run the risk of losing one of your favorite villagers.

PROS:

you will have more control over who moves in and where they move in.

CONS:

it is very time consuming and boring.
saving the game requires that you get a tent... this means that your grass will die in that area. it is recommended that you build your house in the same place each time (unless you're okay with having 7 large areas with missing grass.)
CHOICES OF VILLAGERS
When doing this method of choosing villagers it appears to choose from a set list (it's the same list every time you reset for this certain plot that's coming). It has been discussed that this list are the villagers with the personalities you do not have in town.
EDIT DISCLAIMER
it appears this was intended for the beginning of the game where each day a villager is guaranteed to move in. After the first 9 villagers if you follow this technique for future ones the reset may have a plot not show up at all or may do it's job of randomizing location and villager.
It is also confirmed not to work with mayor of town.

Point is after the beginning, this method should be used if it's really a villager you dislike or location you don't like as it doesn't guarantee a plot coming that day afterwards before 7 days have past (if past first 9 starter villagers).

SPECIAL THANKS
Pocky for doing amazing research and testing.
Everyone who asked questions! Without questions we wouldn't search for answers.

Last edited:
Could you not just reset while playing your main?

From what I read it has something to do with how it loads when a new char is made. As I said though, I have never tried it before (waiting for the chance to) and this is the method the original user stuck to.

I used to do this in wild world so i could get all the cute villagers

1) On a day a fenced area (new house plot) is expected to appear DON'T start the game with the mayor. Instead make a new character (do not save yet).

How do I know the day when a new villager is expected to move in?

How would you know when a new house plot is supposed to appear?

Sometimes a snooty villager will say that another villager saw an animal at the train station. Then they will say that it must be the new neighbor moving in. The next day there will be a sign.

Thank you for telling us about this cool trick! I am also expecting a fenced area for a new villager tomorrow. I will let you know immediately if it worked.... it would be great!

T__T I know exactly how you feel. I'm at 9 villagers and I don't know when the 10th villager moves in...

I was told that you can only get your 10th villager once you have built the campsite and have convinced a camper to move in. Your 10th slot will always be a villager that camped in town. ^^

I was told that you can only get your 10th villager once you have built the campsite and have convinced a camper to move in. Your 10th slot will always be a villager that camped in town. ^^

Ahh! So I have more control over who moved in as the 10th villager, that's good news! How often do animals stay at the campsite? Mine is usually empty. So far only one camper has visited :(

Back