• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Your experience with Sun and Moon?

moonford

moon boi
Bells
Ruby
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
Leif
This game is extremely fun and is much more difficult compared to X/Y, OR/AS and I'd even go as far to say R/S/E and Red/Blue. The characters are interesting, the story had me in anticipation all the time , it was so odd and spectacular compared to a of the few past games e.g Red/Blue, Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire were it was bland and undeveloped. I really like the new concepts for the game, these include the UBs and the Island challenge, this game took out a few things like the league challenge, which was a huge risk for their high reputation but I loved it. I'm glad that they took many of those things out for a change. I loved the new Pok?mon from this generation as their all unique in one way or another e.g Bug/Electric, Water/Bug, Ghost/Fairy and Normal/Dragon and the sad pok?dex entries like Mimikyu's which makes them more likeable.

I'd score this game a 9.5/10, that's how good I think this game is.

Share your feedback too!

Last edited:
I really enjoy the festival plaza. It is cool that you can buy outfits from other trainers and it is easier than wasting all of my money in accessory shops. I am bummed that you still can't buy both gender outfits though. The Island Challenge just seems to be like a gym for each type to me so it is not that much different. I haven't gotten very far in the story though because the Pokemon breeding center always distracts me. Poke Pelago confuses me. I'm not sure what some of the different islands are supposed to do. I do like having ride Pokemon instead of needing HMs in your party. I just don't like the Stoutland one because that Pokemon always creeped me out. I wish you could trade with XY or ORAS without Pokebank. Like in one of the earlier versions where you could just give yourself 6 Pokemon at a time. Some of the Pokemon I like aren't found in the wild in this game like Cacturne.

I wouldn't say that it's more difficult, but otherwise I agree. The story itself is fairly short, and compared to other games (Such as Black/White..) it was kinda easy to be honest. I do like how they changed things up a bit.. Like, how you didn't have to ''save'' the world from the bad guys. I do like how you use Pok?mon to help you, instead of machines and HMs. I also like most of the new Pok?mon, but a few of the Alola forms.. Not a big fan. And I feel like, they should add more Pok?mon in the wild.. Others than Rattata's. Haha. But yeah, the game was fun and I'm glad I got it :)

I wouldn't say that it's more difficult, but otherwise I agree. The story itself is fairly short, and compared to other games (Such as Black/White..) it was kinda easy to be honest. I do like how they changed things up a bit.. Like, how you didn't have to ''save'' the world from the bad guys. I do like how you use Pok?mon to help you, instead of machines and HMs. I also like most of the new Pok?mon, but a few of the Alola forms.. Not a big fan. And I feel like, they should add more Pok?mon in the wild.. Others than Rattata's. Haha. But yeah, the game was fun and I'm glad I got it :)

It was hard for me because of Olivia, I only had a Pikachu, Dartrix and Ribombee which were weak against rock and Pikachu's defense sucks and then the Salazzle totem was a pain. The Lusamine battle was difficult and so was that one battle with Hau when he evolved his Pikachu (finally), HAU could he beat me...I'll go home now....

I haven't run into any difficulty yet. So far my team consists of Rowlet, Litten, (Alolan) Vulpix and Rockruff :) They've been doing 1-hit K.Os on all the totem/ trainer battles xD Anyways, I'm loving the game so far!! Just made it to route 8

The game has been nothing but a positive experience for me. The Trials, the characters, the story, the new Pokemon, and just the region as a whole. Alola is just a beautiful region bursting with life, and these games do well to show that off. I'd go as far as to say Sun/Moon are in the field of Top 3 main series games for me.

This game is definitely more difficult than XY and ORAS. But I wouldn't say it was more difficult or equally difficult as Gen 4 and earlier. Heartgold and Soulsilver, RSE, and the originals had a much stronger level curve and no easy access to a decent exp. share.

The story does leave some things to the imagination but I don't mind. Overall it is much better structured and played out than any other main Pokemon game I have played to date. It is the first storyline that I've sort of been interested in (although Diamond and Pearl was close). As always the game does suffer from "coincidence syndrome". You know, when there is an empty part of the story and suddenly, by sheer coincidence, you randomly bump into the right NPC and/or area that progresses the game only minutes after. This happens several times. The makeshift captain and kahuna fights are guilty of this too. Remember that guy/girl you were talking to for a while? Well, surprise, he/she is now the kahuna and you have to fight them.

Other things that bother me include Hau mysteriously passing all the trials, when he clearly has a reasonably poor team and suffers from not too great battling AI. There was a fun lead up to each trial and they all felt like a personalized experience towards the player. Meanwhile it feels that Hau just turned up a few seconds after your trial and won the battle without any feeling. I guess this has to be done in order to keep the story "clear" of inaccuracies but it feels a bit fixed.

In the anime, especially the Orange League, it was similar. Ash would meet a character for a while and they'd reveal they were actually the gym leader. But in a meaningful and often charming way, whereas in SAMO it just feels forced and as if the developers decided at the last minute "Uh oh we don't have a kahuna quick use this guy."

This game also does something that other games haven't really done. It makes you feel more equal to everyone else. In previous games, most major or late game fights were with your rival, gym leaders, or enemy team leaders. But in this game many "normal" NPCs are quite a challenge. Anabel, Dexio/Sina, and Kukui are examples of trainers who haven't demonstrated a "trainer progression", yet have a team that is equal or superior to your team. This might sound a bit odd, but think of it like this. Imagine if there was suddenly a fight with Lillie before the end of the game, and she had a full team of level 80s. That doesn't sound right does it? Not only because of how long it takes to train a team to level 80, but because she hasn't demonstrated that she has been training/completing trials/gyms and so on. Several of these characters feel more like "casual fun NPCs" and not "die hard trainers".

The post game is decent, but the UB line is clearly not meant to last. That entire line consists of "meet here" followed by "catch UB". No mazes, puzzles, actual storyline involved. It feels a shame that all these UBs are thrown together like this. I'm not expecting a long storyline like Nihilego, but something that gives each UB some character.

As for gameplay, my only sour feelings are regarding SOS battle spam, only 1 of each apricorn ball (nice to have them at all though), and the absence of tutor moves. The berry system is a bit hashed together but Pelago makes up for it. A lot of nice touches in the game for instance the various pokemon shadows and encounters that don't require grass. These have existed since Gen 5, but this Gen added more ambushes and different spots where they can occur.

The battle system is great. The type effectiveness display is great for encouraging new users, and reminding me what absurd types X Alolan form has. The interface is much cleaner.

The Festival Plaza does not appeal to me. Random buildings, random star values, important buildings limited to either Sun or Moon, an unclear FC system, and less than intuitive trading/player interaction. The button that opens the internet connection is the worst thing here. How many of us didn't realize you had to use this button to trade with other real life people or battle with them?

Also Necrozma not having an overworld encounter felt off. They could have given him an overworld model and make him interactable. The "random search through grass" doesn't feel right for a legendary that is potentially so important.

TL;DR this game is a much needed improvement on the Pokemon main game formula, although it still suffers from some small setbacks. The story is great, but lacks some depth and meaning, although arguably this was necessary to produce such a great story to begin with. This is a great introduction to the series for anyone who was hesitant. Don't be hesitant. You can be a Pokemon nerd too. One of us. One of us.

I've only gotten through one island so far, but I haven't had anything but positive experiences with it.

I want to buy the game but which? What's the difference between the two besides 1 in daylight and the other night I don't know I want moon because the case looks so pretty and yeah I know that shouldn't be reason enough but I love the blue mixed with purple look.

I want to buy the game but which? What's the difference between the two besides 1 in daylight and the other night I don't know I want moon because the case looks so pretty and yeah I know that shouldn't be reason enough but I love the blue mixed with purple look.

there are differences in which pokemon you can get (sun gets lycanroc midday and alolan vulpix among other things, moon gets lycanroc midnight and alolan sandshrew, etc), which clothing colors are available, and some other subtle differences like possible locations for a sidequest's parts. it really doesn't matter which one you get, as they're designed to be close enough where you can just buy one version and be done with it, and you can get the other version's exclusives thru trade.

..........buy moon

Last edited:
I'm having a lot of fun with Moon so far. I desperately need a strong Water-type Pok?mon for my team before I go into the volcano trial because my starter was Rowlet and he's not gonna do so well against Fire-types. Great story, great graphics, and the festival plaza is fun! I'm glad I got it for Christmas. <3

Trying to complete my Pokedex now. Got a bit sidetracked during the holidays, but I'm back at it and currently at 72%.

I've only gotten through one island so far, but I haven't had anything but positive experiences with it.

9 days later and I've beaten the game and been the champion of Alola for about 4 or 5 days now lol. Completing the PokeDex has never been a thing I've been in a rush to do, but it actually seems doable.

it's very challenging and i really like the story part of it. not a fan of the ultra beasts really, and i had little hope this game would be good.. but i really like it

I've enjoyed pretty much , i really love the story and the new pokemon . The online is the only thing i hate from SM , ORASXY online was better >_>

I FINALLY BECAME THE CHAMPION after taking a break yesterday and getting the game on christmas. i cried for a solid hour during the epilogue ;0;

Okay but you know what I find annoying?
In a link trade, if you're requesting the person, and the person is requesting you, it does nothing
Like at least in the XY & ORAS system, if both players were requesting at once, it went to an automatic trade

- - - Post Merge - - -

I also hate the new PC layout and all that. I prefer XYs, it was so much simpler and way easier to use..

but all in all it's a good game I just don't like festival plaza and all this extra bs

Oh yeah, I don't like the "sent to a Box" message. What box? So I'm then scrambling to find what box it was sent to. Yeah I know it sends it to the box you last used, but still.

Gosh darn it mandibuzz I hope you go extinct, stop spamming roost kahili
How dare you think I can't eat the biggest noodle bowl, you wanna go bro???
Is gladion Yurio??

Good game 'u' Difficulty has definitely risen or I've gotten weak from shiny hunting xD

Back