• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Let me explain something

Vex L'Cour

Weebalicious Furry.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Horizons Token
January Birthstone (Garnet)
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
Cake
I kinda wish I'd posted this on the OLD TBT when we had guys like Erin and Marlon running around. But they might still come on so yea.

Now, on old TBT alot of people talked constantly and almost 'bragged' the ability to gain 'hacked' items and 'hack' games. I just want to clear something up.

There are very few true game ''hacks''. What people are actually refering to are game 'mods'. This is what an Action Replay / GameShark device does. It installs mods into the game to force it into a result it shouldn't produce (so by entering the right code which can be ****ing long). Hacking a game in this style would NOT ONLY be near impossible (Due to the high chances of causing a glitch or irrepairable damage to the game) it would be wasted effort. Hence Modding.

Most of the things people do on Animal crossing to ''hack'' is actually just modding. You download a program to force a result the game to do something it shouldn't normally (So it is like Action Replay). Plus ACToolkit is even noted as a modtool rather.

So, why DO people say ''I CAN HACK AC WOOT''.

Obvious, attention. I can ''hack'' it to, I just need ?30 to buy an Action replay cheat disk and insert it into the wii and BAM! I've 'hacked' the game. Plus I haven't downloaded Homebrew and ****ed my Wii up!

Opinions on all this? Personally I find it pathetic when people claim to have hacked a game. Especially if it's things like Animal Crossing..

@Neo Bacon's point.

Ok, AR is technically hacking but only by the guys who WRITE the original code/find the code ETC. Anyone else using it for their games is a modder.
So if you wrote the code originally I would accept you as a 'game hacker' (as long as it worked).
So if you got an AC toolkit you're not a hacker you're a modder. The guy who originally wrote it would be counted as a hacker I guess?

Last edited:
I kinda wish I'd posted this on the OLD TBT when we had guys like Erin and Marlon running around. But they might still come on so yea.

Now, on old TBT alot of people talked constantly and almost 'bragged' the ability to gain 'hacked' items and 'hack' games. I just want to clear something up.

There are very few true game ''hacks''. What people are actually refering to are game 'mods'. This is what an Action Replay / GameShark device does. It installs mods into the game to force it into a result it shouldn't produce (so by entering the right code which can be ****ing long). Hacking a game in this style would NOT ONLY be near impossible (Due to the high chances of causing a glitch or irrepairable damage to the game) it would be wasted effort. Hence Modding.

Most of the things people do on Animal crossing to ''hack'' is actually just modding. You download a program to force a result the game to do something it shouldn't normally (So it is like Action Replay). Plus ACToolkit is even noted as a modtool rather.

So, why DO people say ''I CAN HACK AC WOOT''.

Obvious, attention. I can ''hack'' it to, I just need ?30 to buy an Action replay cheat disk and insert it into the wii and BAM! I've 'hacked' the game. Plus I haven't downloaded Homebrew and ****ed my Wii up!

Opinions on all this? Personally I find it pathetic when people claim to have hacked a game. Especially if it's things like Animal Crossing.
No offense and all but there is a more suitable place for this, its called a blog.

Err, okay. I thought discussion of this stuff wasn't permitted?

No offense and all but there is a more suitable place for this, its called a blog.

This is about Animal Crossing.
And this is an Animal Crossing forum.
Maybe you're saying this because it is a rant, but it is a rant about Animal Crossing. He wants people to get angry along with him and hate on the so-called "hackers".
And it's bound to get more replies and views than a blog would.

I agree with you Sanji, those people are complete idiots!
People seem to think that "hackers" are smart, great, and cool.
Those people aren't hackers, but calling themselves hackers, they get more recognition and fame than they deserve!
They wouldn't be as recognized if they called themselves "modders", but it's honest and the smart and good thing to do.

Complete, utter idiots! I'd like to stuff expired hot sauce into their throats for lying so bad.

Last edited:
This is about Animal Crossing.
And this is an Animal Crossing forum.
Maybe you're saying this because it is a rant, but it is a rant about Animal Crossing. He wants people to get angry along with him and hate on the so-called "hackers".
And it's bound to get more replies and views than a blog would.

I agree with you Sanji, those people are complete idiots!
People seem to think that "hackers" are smart, great, and cool.
Those people aren't hackers, but calling themselves hackers, they get more recognition and fame than they deserve!
They wouldn't be as recognized if they called themselves "modders", but it's honest and the smart and good thing to do.

Complete, utter idiots! I'd like to stuff expired hot sauce into their throats for lying so bad.

It's more about hac-er, modding i mean.

I don't know, but what I do know is that he wrongly stated that this should belong in a blog.

Everyone acknowledge his wrongfulness and laugh!

It could go in the blog section, since most of it is just him ranting.

umm well, define hacking please? All I can get for hacking is that you are getting things in a program to work in ways it wasn't meant to... so in a way yes these devices do do this. It can also be considered modding I suppose but not the same connotation of breaking into places you shouldn't with modding.

Short version: People who mod AC are wrongfully calling themselves "hackers".
i love how hackers are so full of themselves that they have to have specific definitions of different kinds of tech stuff.

hack vs crack vs mod vs whargarbl

umm well, define hacking please? All I can get for hacking is that you are getting things in a program to work in ways it wasn't meant to... so in a way yes these devices do do this. It can also be considered modding I suppose but not the same connotation of breaking into places you shouldn't with modding.

I wouldn't ever define it as hacking given YOU are not doing it yourself. Hacking is a much longer and tiresom process. Which would mean you'd be running your computer (s) for ages to 'hack'.
Modding is using a premade code to get something in-game. It's kinda hard to explain but I would never consider modding a game 'hacking'.

I wouldn't ever define it as hacking given YOU are not doing it yourself. Hacking is a much longer and tiresom process. Which would mean you'd be running your computer (s) for ages to 'hack'.
Modding is using a premade code to get something in-game. It's kinda hard to explain but I would never consider modding a game 'hacking'.
wait
this is what you're upset about?

LOL.

that isn't modding. modding is adding onto the hardware to make it different.
hacking is supposed to be an educated approach to getting into databases and whatnot to see how they tick.
cracking is supposed to be the malicious counterpart to hacking; getting into databases and whatnot to kill them.

so really, they're doing neither. they're just changing a bit of code/cheating.

either way, nbd

Back