Pokémon Pokemon Shiny Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Ultra Moon I was SOS hunting for a shiny Alolan Sandshrew. It happened to be raining at the time and when it rains Castform has a low chance of appearing. So yeah... the RNG gods decided to bless/curse me with a shiny Castform.

I was playing Pokemon Platinum back in 2009 and when I went to Mt Coronet when I was about to tackle Team Galactic, but then I encountered Shiny a Zubat. Freaking out I tried to catch it, but my stupid self had only 2 Pokeballs left and I had to try to be very careful when catching it. By some miracle I threw one Pokeball at it, didn't even try to attack it somehow caught it. I don't know how I got so lucky, but it really was the best thing to ever happen to me.

before I knew shinies (besides gyarados) existed in the games, I was playing ruby in the car at night on a long drive home from vacation and somehow found & caught a shiny marill without noticing until I was playing later in good lighting and saw it in my pc. I was so confused why it was lime green and almost released it because I thought it was a glitch 😨 glad I kept it

it's also kinda funny it took until ruby to find out about shinies, but since red didn't have them and gold's gyarados was scripted, I thought it was just a thing in the show (not the games)

I have actually run across quite a few!
The most memorable were my first shiny, a Magikarp at the dragon’s den in Soul Silver, and then a Haunter found on Victory road in Pokémon Y. Haunter is my favorite Pokémon which makes it pretty special, and shiny Mega-Gengar looks amazing !!

Besides the ones I purposefully hunted, I encountered a shiny Graveler on Iron Island in Platinum. And you guessed it; Riley's Lucario destroyed that orange rock. I tried fainting the Lucario first but well, that didn't work out. On top of the fact that those Graveler carry Self-Destruct, I imagine my odds of catching it were quite low. Was still pretty cool to see a shiny in one of the older games though!

The last shiny I encountered was in diamond and pearl while I was on my bike headed home (?). It was a blue ponyta. I wasn't expecting it but it was a pretty cool find. I had no luck finding more shinies since then.

I don't really care about shiny Pokemon so I've never hunted them down or anything so I only have 2 experiences (minus guaranteed ones like red Gyrados)

My first was when Gold and Silver first came out. I had no idea what a shiny Pokemon was, I had never heard of it before and obviously it wasn't a thing in red, blue or (IIRC) yellow. It wasn't really a feature that was advertised or anything since back then they didn't reveal absolutely every detail about the games like they do now, they actually left some details to speculation and exploration.

As I recall I was still close to the start of the game wandering around the grass seeing if I could find new Pokemon and level up whatever Pokemon I had. A Geodude appeared, did his shiny effect and I just thought "I wonder what that is" and killed it because I already had a Geodude.

It wasn't until quite a while later that I realised what it was because whilst I passed it off as nothing special initially, it stuck in my mind that I hadn't seen that 'shiny effect' since then even on other Geodudes. I was a bit gutted at the time since it would have been cool if I caught it just from being able to show everybody else "hey, look at my weird Geodude" since I was seemingly the first person I knew of at the time to have seen a shiny Pokemon and only like an hour or two into playing the game.

The second was another I just happened to come across. I think it was in X/Y and I just came across a shiny Golbat in the wild. I knew what shiny Pokemon were by then and whilst I'm not a fan of shiny Pokemon I still caught it "just 'cuz". I mean, it took like 15 years for me to come across a second shiny Pokemon through natural gameplay, it's probably going to be another 10 before I see a shiny Pidgey or something.

On my Soul Silver version many years ago, a shiny Cyndaquil was available as one of the starter Pokémon. I passed it up though, and chose a regular Totodile. I regret absolutely nothing.

I think the first shiny I caught myself was a shiny dratini I saw in the wild in Heartgold. I did a double take and still didn't believe it until I caught it and saw the shiny mark. I also caught my own shiny carvanha in Alpha Sapphire using the fishing chain method.

Since then I've been randomly traded a few in the (old) GTS or gotten shiny legendaries through events. I also got a bunch of shinies in Let's Go Eevee- shiny hunting is super easy in that game. In Shield I've also gotten several through random dens online, as well as purposeful trades with people.

my favorite shiny story is actually the very first shiny I ever got, a Golbat in Omega Ruby.

I was using the DexNav for shiny Absol and after getting in like a 400+ search level I gave up for a little bit and went to Victory Road to do some grinding. then ofc the very first pokemon that shows itself to me is a level 40 full-odds shiny Golbat. I did manage to catch him, he's now a shiny Crobat named Ajax :)
(in case you're wondering, I got the Absol like 3 days later. she's absolutely amazing)

I have a few others as well:
- I do shiny chaining in Let's Go Eevee, I've already gotten two Ponytas and an Eevee. but I recall one time when I booted up the game and a solid 3 minutes later a shiny Doduo popped up (I didn't have a chain at all so it was basically full-odds). I think I named her fuzzball or smth lol.
- I was chaining for a shiny Absol in Pearl (in case you didn't know Absol is my favorite shiny) and I found one after a chain of only 25, but then I killed it on accident. I still hate myself for that cause I've tried twice more and can't find another one without breaking my chain 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃
(I even caught it on video cause I really hate myself lmfaooooo)

I was playing SoulSilver, and an NPC in the Battle Arcade had a shiny Aron. It wasn't scripted, just it seems that all Pokémon have a chance to be shiny when they first appear, even ones owned by NPC's, at least in that generation. So, of course, I wasn't able to catch it. I felt so robbed. :cry:

But I did go on to be a shiny hunter some years later, and I have quite the collection of shinies now. But the game taunting me with that shiny that I couldn't catch still irritates me a little. XD

I used to do a lot of randomizer nuzlockes for Heart Gold / Soul Silver. On one of them I was in the Kanto portion of the game basically finishing it out. I had a really good team at the time and was essentially just finishing it out to see if I lose to Red. Near the bike route 17 I go into the grass for my first encounter... and low and behold I get a full odds shiny Palkia. Needless to say, I happily popped the masterball that I still had and kept the shiny Palkia on my team lol

In Pokemon Ultra Sun, I randomly found a shiny Fomantis and a shiny Staryu in my first playthrough of the game. I was very lucky and I added both of them to my team. In Sun, I caught a shiny Alolan Raticate and in Moon, I caught a shiny Pelliper, both of which I encountered randomly.

In Pokemon Pearl, I found a shiny Fearow while using the Poke Radar and that was my first shiny Pokemon I caught. In Diamond, I caught a shiny Snover that I found randomly and I added it to my team. I also found a shiny Slugma in Ruby.

In Pokemon X, I caught a shiny Whismur that I found while horde battling. In Sword, I caught a shiny Kyurem in the Dens and that was the first shiny legendary Pokemon I caught. In the GTS, I obtained a shiny Ralts in Pearl and a shiny Mudkip in X.

For those of you that are into shiny hunting, I suggest you keep a Pokemon on your team with False Swipe and have plenty of Ultra Balls in your bag so you're prepared when encountering shinies.

Last edited:
My boyfriend isn't super into shiny hunting as much as he is challenges, I'm more of the shiny hunter. But I swear, he has all the luck.

When SwSh was new(ish), he was trying to breed a hidden ability Galarian Darumaka...and the first HA he happened to breed was a shiny. He insisted on giving her to me since I was trying to play with an all-shiny team, and Flurrie still stays with me to this day.

Secondly, he was doing a Nuzlocke for Black, I believe, and...without even resetting, he found a shiny Tepig and named it Bakugo after the My Hero Academia character. Not only that, but in that same run, he found a shiny Roselia! He sorta stuck to the MHA theme, naming her Anne-Marie, after an MHA OC of mine.

I have found many shiny Pokemon over the years, but I'll list the story of 5 that I found that I wasn't even trying to get.

1. Zubat. In Pokemon Emerald as a kid I found a green Zubat whilst wandering around in a cave without repel. I had no idea why it was green or what a shiny even was. I thankfully caught him and still have him to this day as my very first shiny.

2. Geodude. I ran into a shiny Geodude by chance when I restarted Diamond. It was super early on in the mine before the first gym. All I had was the fire type starter and a couple Pokeballs so I was barely able to catch it, but glad I did.

3. Magby. Was breeding for Pokédex entries in Pokémon X. Bred a Magmar with a Ditto for a Magby and it came out shiny by pure chance.

4. Bunnelby. While breeding for shiny Espurr in X. Instead of flying back to the daycare one time I chose to bike back instead. On the way back had a random encounter with a Bunnelby that was shiny.

5. Rhydon. Was looking for a Turtonator in Sword for Pokédex purposes. One did not want to show up. So much so that I somehow found a shiny Rhydon before a single Turtonator.

I have encountered many shiny Pokémon in my time playing Pokémon games but the latest shiny has to be my best yet.

I just restarted SoulSilver and I was soft resetting for a female chikorita with a good nature. It took forever to the point that it gave me a shiny male with awesome nature and personality as well as nice starting stats.

Long story short. Cinnamon is my new partner.

Caught two shiny Pokémon today! First was a Barbaracle in Ultra Moon after about 50 encounters in Ultra Space, which is a lot for that strategy. I'm trying to get every shiny in Ultra Space, and I just need Grumpig, Heliolisk, and Crustle.

Then I decided to return to my Toxicroak hunt in X's Friend Safari, and found Ariados after 242 encounters.

A sad story, but I was playing FireRed and saw a shiny Rhyhorn in the Safari (I think you see where this is going lol...).

Obviously to try to get it to stay, I tossed a piece of bait.

It ran.

I randomly encountered a shiny Vileplume (I straight up ran into this one on accident) and shiny Beartic in Sword while doing other things. That Beartic attacked me too, lmao. I did catch both of them.

An actual shiny story tho:
Spent days shiny hunting Hatenna before I got my shiny charm. No luck after at least 1k encounters, so I gave up and began trying to finish my pokédex to get the shiny charm.

Had my bf help me since he has Shield and I have Sword. As he was trying to find the last pokémon I needed to complete my dex (a Drampa), he encountered a wild shiny Arcanine full odds in the wild. He was all "hey, this Arcanine sparkled!!! look at it!!" and I'm just like... 😭 you lucky duck, you just found a shiny without even trying. He caught it btw.

I eventually did get my shiny hatenna; I bred her in a love ball! she even hatched with her hidden ability and also as a square shiny, so totally worth the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back