• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Wii to Wii U system transfer worth it? what are the pros and cons?

Nymeri

addict
Bells
Cake
I got my Wii U last october but I still haven't done the transfer. I'm aware that I can't use my gamecube controller with the Wii U, but are there any other cons beside this? Personally, I think it's much more convenient to switch between menus rather than between two systems, but I'm kinda scared that I'll miss the GC controller. Also, will Miis from my Wii end up in the wii menu or the Wii U mii maker?

Well, what's to lose ? If you do the transfer and some Virtual Console game you had is already available for the Wii U, you could pay a fraction of the price to download the upgraded Wii U Virtual Console files. I say do it !

Last edited:
The thing is if you like using a Gamecube controller for N64 games like Ocarina or Star Fox, I don't recommand doing the transfer. If you use the Classic Controller for your Wii Virtual Console games, then go for it. The emulation and graphics are still well done (tried with DKC). The good thing of having a game like Super Metroid or A Link to the Past on your Wii U is switching buttons and having a great display quality (almost as good as the CRT TV) AND you can play them on the GamePad. But N64 games can only be displayed on the GamePad and require the Wii Remote + Classic Controller.

Last edited:
I did the transfer and bought a classic controller pro. I like it. But what do you mean N64 games can only be displayed on the gamepad? I tried with SM64, and it looked fine on the TV, although it did have the black bars on the side. As far as I can see there's no option to change it. But that's really not an issue as I prefer it that way rather than stretched

What I was saying is that you cannot the play N64 games with the GamePad. ;-) Sorry if I was a bit unclear on that point.

Well, what's to lose ? If you do the transfer and some Virtual Console game you had is already available for the Wii U, you could pay a fraction of the price to download the upgraded Wii U Virtual Console files. I say do it !
But you lose your save data by upgrading them, I learnt this from a Nintendo UK rep.

I've read that they're actually developing a controller that resembles the GC controller to use with the Wii U. I believe it's supposed to be released around Christmas with Super Smash Bros Wii U.

Personally, I left my wii data on my wii simply for storage reasons.

it was worth it

even if just to see pikmin carry all the data to the wii u planet

I did it. The pro's and cons are that everything is on the Wii U and you only have one console. Nintendo hardware is very reliable so that isn't too much of a factor.

We never lost any data when we did our transfer though. Did people forget about the data saved in the SD card or something?
I don't mean that... I mean that you lose your game save data if you purchase a updated Wii U version of a Virtual Console download game. Say if you had Super Mario World for Wii Virtual Console and you had completed it 100%, you would have to do the entire game again.

I don't mean that... I mean that you lose your game save data if you purchase a updated Wii U version of a Virtual Console download game. Say if you had Super Mario World for Wii Virtual Console and you had completed it 100%, you would have to do the entire game again.

Not exactly. When you transfer the Wii version to the console, you have the option of buy the Wii U version at a heavily discounted price ($1 iirc). You end up with both versions, the Wii u version with no previous save but new features and the old version in Wii Mode that still has all of your old saves. There isn't any way of transferring the game save to the Wii u version.

Back