• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

violent video games....

Sporge27

Retired Staff
Bells
November Birthstone (Topaz)
Cake
Red Candy
Link

The above link goes to a little video clip of a show where they quickly debated violent video games. <_<

Honestly I think the problem with some of these people is using their emotions instead of common sense. Violent video games don't make violent people, people who are violent choose to play violent video games...

It is like saying that the more women you have driving the streets, the more car accidents occur.
You can look at it and say "hmmm, so women are worse drivers...", or think logically to realize that there are more men too, just not stated. So more people driving = more accidents, the fact that there were more women driving really says nothing about women's driving.

The Columbine shooters might have played Doom... but what does that have to do with them going and killing a ton of people? Other MILLIONS of people played Doom and came out fine. There are a billion other factors that affected them, and by the time they were playing Doom they were already probably pretty far lost...

The fact that the single out video games though rather than movies, books, TV, even the NEWS, which all can talk about violent things and show it at times, is ridiculous.

A few words before I go
Free Speech, Parental Controls, ESRB, and watch what your kids are doing

Peace out

I fully agree with everything you said

I watched a documentary about the Columbine Massacre and they had more reasoning in what they did than just cause they wanted to be violent, they hated the people because of things done to them. They didnt just want to kill people for the fun of it because it's fun in Doom.

and when you said that they picked at video games rather than all media, movies are often much more violent and are more realistic too, and the news can inspire people to do that because they think "wow, this guy has been on the news for months"

ESRBs are for parents to read, I hear all the time from parents that they dont even know what games their kid owns, they just drive them over to buy it and don't ask questions or even look at the ESRB.

An issue of MAD Mag states:

"The average fifth grader knows that the violence in movies and video games are fake, and the violence in the news are real."

Back