• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

TV Shows and movies not to let your kids watch

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Snowflake Glow Wand
Festive Bell
Friday the 13th Candy
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
I may not have any kids, nor do I plan on having kids, but after reading the parenting blogs on the best ways to raise children. And some tips tell you not to let your kids watch. They could either encourage bad behavior, give them the wrong message, or make them stupider. Some may no longer be airing new episodes, but it doesn't mean it can be out of the spotlight.

Here are some tips I have:

• The minimum age to let your kids watch anything on TV should be 5 or 6, but to be more serious, don't let them watch if they aren't even 3.
  • Spongebob may be considered bad for kids to watch for many reasons, but that show is actually one of the safest for kids to watch. Granted, there are some episodes that you should not let them watch, but everything prior to the 2004 film (as well as the movie itself) is fine.
  • If you are from a very religious family, do not get too strict about magic in films and TV, but don't allow kids to watch movies with anti-religious messages.
  • If your kids are smart enough not to repeat what they see on TV, shows like Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Scooby Doo are acceptable. If not, the shows just listed tend to have a bad influence on kids.
  • Do not let your kids watch any TV shows higher than The Simpsons. This includes live action shows like Breaking Bad and cartoons like South Park. But that wouldn't matter because they were not made for kids anyway.
  • Worst Preschool Show: Calliou; While shows like Sesame Street and Teletubbies are fine, not all preschool shows are fine and Calliou is one of them. This show encourages kids to be spoiled brats and to be mean to their siblings.
  • Worst Cartoon akin to Spongebob: Johnny Test; The show actually makes kids even stupider. Jimmy Neutron and Dexter's Laboratory are okay to a certain degree, but Johnny Test isn't. Not only that, but it devalues family and friendship.
  • Worst TV Show: Total Drama; Also known as Total Drama Island in Season 1, Total Drama Action in Season 2, and Total Drama: World Tour in Season 3. Let's forget that the first season (which was heavily censored and dumbed down) had mild language and sexual references. Let's also forget the childish content. The problem with the show is that not only it teaches kids to be competitive while teaching no morals, but it encourages kids to sue people if things don't go their way.
  • All Pixar films are safe for kids. However, I wouldn't say the same for all the other CGI-animated films. Sausage Party is way too inappropriate, and soke others may be a bad influence on kids.
  • Not all PG-13 movies are that bad. But some are definitely not for kids. The R and NC-17 movies are also not for kids.
  • By age 13, all movies made by Walt Disney Animation Studios are acceptable. But if they're under 10, some might be controversial. The "Disney Princess" films may teach kids the wrong lesson. Some like Lion King and Hunchback of Notre Dame are too dark. And some of the older movies (case in point: Dumbo) have racial stereotypes.
  • Other 2D animated films PG-rated or lower are safe to a certain extent. There are some parenting tips that discourage kids from watching them, but I don't see the problem.
If there's anything else you suggest or anything you disagree with, please leave a comment. I'm not the best when it comes to parenting, especially since I have no kids. But I do want to share my opinions on what to show your kids and what not to show your kids.

As someone who watched Johnny Test, I agree. At least I was old enough to know better.

they should just stop airing Calliou. it's a very old show and ppl are complaining enough about it :/

I have to admit, my labeling of Total Drama as the worst show to watch was more of a diatribe towards the show because of some of the characters of the show that I didn't like. But it is true that Total Drama may be a bad influence on children because of the subject matter (just Watch Oceans 8 or 9, Get a Clue, and Rock and Rule, you can see how controversial the show can get).

I written this entry because when I read parenting blogs, I was kinda bothered by the lack of inclusion for Johnny Test and Total Drama. Both of these shows are worse for kids than what I saw over there.

"but don't allow kids to watch movies with anti-religious messages." uhh wtf

"Do not let your kids watch any TV shows higher than The Simpsons."
Guess I shouldn't say what kind of stuff I watched back then when I was 10 years old.
Whoops...

Plankton;bt15059 said:
"Do not let your kids watch any TV shows higher than The Simpsons."
Guess I shouldn't say what kind of stuff I watched back then when I was 10 years old.
Whoops...
Don't feel shame. This blog entry is subjective, as I try to suggest the best of parenting tips.

Alolan_Apples;bt15060 said:
Don't feel shame. This blog entry is subjective, as I try to suggest the best of parenting tips.
I don't feel shame at all tbh. I mean, after all, I didn't understand most of the jokes
or anything back then, watching those "adult" shows as a kid is like sitting in front of the TV and thinking "Hahaha, yeah, I don't get it". :')

Back