• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

HG/SS Starter Help

John102

Bells
Ok, so I don't have the game yet, but I plan on getting it very very soon, so, I'm going to pick totodile as my starter and I was wondering whether or not I should; A)Soft reset in order to get a shiny totodile, or, B)Soft reset to get a totodile with decent IV's, which basically means get a totodile with good stats. There are however setbacks to both of these options. The setback for option A is that it would probably take me forever to soft reset to get a shiny totodile, and I really don't want to miss gameplay time. The problem for B is that I'll only get an estimate of how strong it'll be because it's a such a low level, so I'll only know if it's bad to average, or average to good, and I'll also be missing some gameplay time as oppose to just picking a regular totodile first time round, but it'll be less than soft resetting for a shiny. Anyways, if someone would like to comment on this to sway my decision one way or another, it'd be nice =)

John102 said:
Rockman. said:
If you soft reset for a shiny, it should be fairly easy.
How so? I've done that before in Ruby and I got bored after like the first 300 times...
I heard it was easier to get shinies on this game.
/frompokecommunity

Nevermore said:
Or you could just use an AR to get shiny.

I don't consider it cheating unless it somehow decreases the games difficulty.
Yeah it's cheating it greatly reduces the difficulty of getting a shiny pokemon >.>

I'm sorry, I just really don't like pokemon hackers.

John102 said:
Nevermore said:

Yeah it's cheating it greatly reduces the difficulty of getting a shiny pokemon >.>

It is basically the same as Brawl texture hacks.

Ooh! You changed the color!

You can get shinies as starters? Whoa, like, revelation? Anyway, I'd go for one with decent IVs. I don't know if Totodile is good for tournaments, or if you're a tournament player, but it will make it easier for the Gym challenge at least.

Nevermore said:

You're cheating yourself by using an AR. If you're going to get something, get it legit.

After seeing shiny Chikorita, if I get SS, I will get it legit, for I have no DS AR, and I was just screwing around on Ruby.

And I won't transfer from Ruby, but I might restart it to get all the starters into SS.

Nevermore said:
John102 said:
Nevermore said:

It is not the same. For one brawl texture hacks don't make your character any more valuable, unlike shiny pokemon. For two, there is no way to trade players in brawl unlike in pokemon where pokemon are sort of a currency for other pokemon and whatnot.

As for my decision, I think I'm going to try to go for which ever one comes first, a female with awesome IV's, or a shiny totodile.

John102 said:
Nevermore said:
John102 said:
Nevermore said:

It is not the same. For one brawl texture hacks don't make your character any more valuable, unlike shiny pokemon. For two, there is no way to trade players in brawl unlike in pokemon where pokemon are sort of a currency for other pokemon and whatnot.

As for my decision, I think I'm going to try to go for which ever one comes first, a female with awesome IV's, or a shiny totodile.
You don't need a female, Dittos are easily found.

Nevermore said:
John102 said:
Nevermore said:
John102 said:
Nevermore said:

I want a female though, so then I can reset more and have a better chance at a shiny.

John102 said:
Nevermore said:
John102 said:
Nevermore said:
John102 said:
Quoting limited to 5 levels deep

I want a female though, so then I can reset more and have a better chance at a shiny.
It sounds like you just want a shiny.

Nevermore said:
John102 said:
Nevermore said:
John102 said:
Nevermore said:
Quoting limited to 5 levels deep

It sounds like you just want a shiny.
I want do, but if I can't find a shiny in a reasonably amount of time I want a fall back plan.

Nevermore said:
John102 said:
Nevermore said:

No, no, no. It's much different. First of all, Brawl is a completely different game. You don't raise your own characters to fight with, you just choose them from the character select screen. They're always the same, it's not like Pok

Just get the first Totodile like any non-AR and SoftResters would do.
It's not about the IV's or Shininess, it's about that little bunch of data that we call a pokemon.

I don't suggest you do either...just play the game how it is. If totodile decides to be a certain nature, go for it. It's like fate you know? Except you can change it -.- but don't!

Back