• The closing ceremony for our Lunar New Year event has been posted! View the winning entries in the thread here. Thanks for joining us for this new TBT event. Be on the lookout for our next brand-new event, which will bid farewell to Animal Crossing: New Leaf online, coming soon!

does this thing have a good video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epic HDD! Very nice machine there! Would love to have my own. As for the Video Card, you can support Direct X 11. Didn't even know 11 existed. Go for it man, its a monster of a machine.

Hold up bro, what happened to your MAC? Did you just forget about it?

The ATI Radeon HD 5570 is decent, but I myself prefer ATI's latest versions, the 5800 brand. Of course, it's not like the 5570 is outdated (it's still not bad). The issue is that there's just better graphics cards out there right now.

EDIT: Other than that, the computer seems fine. It has nice RAM and processing speed (great for video editing/gaming).

Nic said:
Hold up bro, what happened to your MAC? Did you just forget about it?
No, I didnt, it's just time to start saving seriously, and I'm doing heavy research on both systems. I'm not even sure if they allow windows for the college course I'm doing but I'm going to talk to someone tomorrow about it.

'Tis a pretty beasty computer.

Nonetheless though, I still think it's worth the extra money to get a Mac if you're focusing on video editing. The software for video editing on Macs is 2nd to none.

Jas0n said:

Nonetheless though, I still think it's worth the extra money to get a Mac if you're focusing on video editing. The software for video editing on Macs is 2nd to none.
its like 2000 bucks after tax though, then another 1200 for final cut pro. i hear premiere pro is pretty similar to final cut so im kinda stuck between the 2. If i went with that tower, I get 4 times the amount of memory, and 2 gb more of ram, and also the same processor thats in the macbook, and i save about 800 dollars, and also dont have to pay for the 1200 dollar copy of final cut. Which will allow me to purchase another laptop on top of the beastly tower.... and ultimately end up saving about 2000 dollars.... the problem is, I'm not sure which system my college expects me to have. I sent them an email and I'm going for a tour tomorrow, so I should be able to find out then. If they accept PCs, then I might go ahead and get the tower and laptop, just cause it saves me a *censored.2.0* load of money, and it should be able to do the job just as well. I saw a video of a guy stress testing a PC with adobe premiere pro, and he was able to playback 9 layers of 1080p footage flawlessly, without even having to prerender. he also did a test with 4 separate clips of RED footage playing at the same time, they also played back flawlessly, without any prerender.

That's the computer I got for my birthday, and I got it at Best Buy, and it's a very very good computer.

David said:
Jas0n said:

its like 2000 bucks after tax though, then another 1200 for final cut pro. i hear premiere pro is pretty similar to final cut so im kinda stuck between the 2. If i went with that tower, I get 4 times the amount of memory, and 2 gb more of ram, and also the same processor thats in the macbook, and i save about 800 dollars, and also dont have to pay for the 1200 dollar copy of final cut. Which will allow me to purchase another laptop on top of the beastly tower.... and ultimately end up saving about 2000 dollars.... the problem is, I'm not sure which system my college expects me to have. I sent them an email and I'm going for a tour tomorrow, so I should be able to find out then. If they accept PCs, then I might go ahead and get the tower and laptop, just cause it saves me a *censored.2.0* load of money, and it should be able to do the job just as well. I saw a video of a guy stress testing a PC with adobe premiere pro, and he was able to playback 9 layers of 1080p footage flawlessly, without even having to prerender. he also did a test with 4 separate clips of RED footage playing at the same time, they also played back flawlessly, without any prerender.
$2000? I got mine for only about $1000.

Another option would be, get that tower in a few weeks, then get the camera i want after that, then wait until just before college, and get the macbook for a student price, then get final cut for a student price, or see if the college is actually selling it for even cheaper.. IM SO CONFUSED! :p

+Sean said:
David said:
Jas0n said:

2000 is what an i5 macbook pro costs after taxes.

David said:
Another option would be, get that tower in a few weeks, then get the camera i want after that, then wait until just before college, and get the macbook for a student price, then get final cut for a student price, or see if the college is actually selling it for even cheaper.. IM SO CONFUSED! :p
That sounds like a great plan.

It's a good computer, but you're paying too much for it.

Go and do some searching here instead: http://www.newegg.com/

But don't get me wrong, if you're willing to just get that computer now you'll be just fine when it comes to handling any games/applications you throw at it.

beehdaubs said:
It's a good computer, but you're paying too much for it.

Go and do some searching here instead: http://www.newegg.com/

But don't get me wrong, if you're willing to just get that computer now you'll be just fine when it comes to handling any games/applications you throw at it.
The price doesnt bother me, and im not interested in ordering stuff online.

David said:
+Sean said:
David said:
Jas0n said:

2000 is what an i5 macbook pro costs after taxes.
Ohh a mac.

It's not really a good video card for hardcore gaming. It's a good one for light gaming. I put an ATI Radeon HD 5770 in mine and I can run any game on high settings. The 5000 series of the ATI radeon cards go in steps, like 5450, 5550, etc. My computer setup is:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
AMD Athlon x4 635 quad-core processor
6 GB DDR3
750 GB HDD
1 GB ATI Radeon 5770

It was only 800 dollars, so I thought I got a pretty good deal on it.

Tyler. said:
It's not really a good video card for hardcore gaming. It's a good one for light gaming. I put an ATI Radeon HD 5770 in mine and I can run any game on high settings. The 5000 series of the ATI radeon cards go in steps, like 5450, 5550, etc. My computer setup is:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
AMD Athlon x4 635 quad-core processor
6 GB DDR3
750 GB HDD
1 GB ATI Radeon 5770

It was only 800 dollars, so I thought I got a pretty good deal on it.
For 800 bucks that's a pretty good deal :O .

Alright, screw that computer. the course is apple exclusive, and they told me why. So i may be getting my macbook within the next 2 weeks, i need to start doing volunteer video jobs, and making stuff, so im probably gonna have to get a 3500 dollar loan of some sort for the macbook and final cut pro.

David said:
Alright, screw that computer. the course is apple exclusive, and they told me why. So i may be getting my macbook within the next 2 weeks, i need to start doing volunteer video jobs, and making stuff, so im probably gonna have to get a 3500 dollar loan of some sort for the macbook and final cut pro.
can i ask why it is? purely out of curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.