3DS to support game installs

Bulerias

Co-Founder of TBT
Retired Staff
Bells
Dragon Tokens
According to Nikkei, gamers will be able copy 3DS software to internal memory. Multiple games can be stored with the system in this fashion. You'll be able to switch between games by selecting a title from the system's main menu.

The paper notes that due to this feature, there'll be no need to swap cartridges. When outside of the home, you won't need to carry game cartridges with you.

Nikkei is a financial paper, so it obviously didn't get into the specifics on how this installation system will work. We'll have to wait for Nintendo to provide clarification.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/3ds_software_install/

3DS > Wii confirmed?

Well, the 3DS sounds more like the DSi more and more each topic. Kinda.

DSi- Internal Memory, Big Hit
3DS- Internal Memory, Biggest Hit since the NES

et cetera

Wait, so what happens when it runs out of memory? o_o

But it sounds like a good idea besides that wee hitch.

Ron Ronaldo said:

You take it off. There'll probably be a way to save the game data to the game card from the 3DS.

OddCrazyMe said:
Ron Ronaldo said:

You take it off. There'll probably be a way to save the game data to the game card from the 3DS.
Well, that's pretty much the best idea ever. ^w^b

I have a theory.

The cartridges will be like a flash drive, more of an SD card really, when you copy the game to the internal memory, it takes the same file on the cart and puts it in the memory, making sure you don't put it on another.

Ron Ronaldo said:

The same thing that happens to your computer when its hard-drive "runs out" of space?...

IGN: The Nikkei newspaper revealed this morning that the 3DS system has some sort of software installation option. I'm wondering if you can comment further on what was announced.

Miyamoto: I'm not familiar with the article that you're referencing, but of course even with Nintendo DSi we introduced DSiWare and we introduced applications that were built into the system menu. So I wonder if maybe they were talking about something along those lines?

IGN: They're actually not. They're saying that there's an option you can use to install software so that you don't have to bring your cartridges with you. It was something separate from DSiWare.

Miyamoto: I'm not familiar with that.

I don't really like it having an internal memory. I don't know why though. I just don't really like the idea..

Awesome, now you can just copy other people's games without buying them >:D

EDIT:*looks at Nevermore's and Tye's post* Nevermind. :(

Back