Holiday Secret Santa Signature Contest (Signature Creation)

Justin

Nefarious did this.
Staff
Administrator
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
4135-9919-0984
Spring Sakura
Zipper Sakura
Red Pikmin Easter Egg
Zipper Sakura
Spring Sakura
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Pastel Disco Ball Easter Egg
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Pastel Disco Ball Easter Egg
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Signature creation starts NOW and ends at midnight PST on December 21st!

We're changing up the traditional Signature contest this year. It's very important that you read the full rules to understand the idea! Don't be afraid of asking questions if it's confusing to you. Credit goes to Thunderstruck, Jas0n, and Jeremy in the IRC for helping shape the idea.

December 6th to December 10th (Render Submission and Signups)
Everyone on the forum is invited to submit one Holiday/Winter themed render with a high enough quality (and preferably transparent) to be suitable for signature usage! These must be private messaged to me! (Justin) Renders will be thrown out if they don't fit the theme or are determined to be of significant low quality. You can submit a replacement render if yours is thrown out.

If you wish to participate in creating a signature for the contest, please sign up now just by posting in this thread! You can later but it's recommended you do now to ensure you are assigned a render on time!

December 11th to 21st (Signature Creation)
Everyone who has signed up to create a signature will be assigned a render at random from the collection of renders previously submitted! You must use this render in your signature. Of course, your signature can still contain other elements but the render must be used somewhere in it.

To submit your signature to the contest, you must private message the signature to me. (Justin) Also, please do not include your name on the signature for fairness in voting. If you do, I may have to edit it out.

If someone wants to participate in the contest and hasn't signed up yet, they still can during this time and will be assigned an extra render that was not assigned.

December 22nd to 28th (Signature Voting)
A single poll will be held for voting unless there's a large amount of entries in which case we'll have two rounds of voting. Voting period will be longer if that happens.

December 29th (Winners Announced and Prizes)
Barring no hold ups, the winners will be announced! Here are the planned prizes: (subject to change of course!)

1st Place:
600 Bells
Trophy icon (shop item)
Animated Snow Globe icon (shop item)

2nd and 3rd Place:
250 Bells

Participators:

Extra things to be aware of:

• If for some reason we don't have enough renders submitted, I'll add in as many as necessary myself
  • Voting will be monitored, don't try to pull any shenanigans
  • Participators prize is for signature creators only, not just render submitters
  • Feel free to ask questions if it's confusing to you
  • Yes, I know it's not really Secret Santa since you don't know who you are giving the render to... It's kind of similar though!

For anyone who doesn't understand what a render is and wants to submit one: A "render" is simply the pre-rendering of an image. That is, removing the entire background of an image so only the character, or focal point, remains. Here's an example:
pikachu_render_by_hikarichan95-d4jr57z.png

And here's a few links to find pretty decent renders:
http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/?q=christmas+render
http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/?q=winter+render
http://bakarenders.com/renders/index.php
http://planetrenders.net/renders/

Last edited:
Signup List:

Thunderstruck
Jas0n
SockHead
Jeremy
Garrett x50 cal
Jake.
Josh
Kip
Nicole_AC.
DavidOfTAK
E765
You

Make a post in this thread if you'd like to sign up for creating a signature and be sure to read the rules in the first post first!

Last edited:
Sign me up JubsyWubsy. Submitting my render as soon as I decide which one!

For anyone who doesn't understand what a render is and wants to submit one: A "render" is simply the pre-rendering of an image. That is, removing the entire background of an image so only the character, or focal point, remains. Here's an example:
pikachu_render_by_hikarichan95-d4jr57z.png

And here's a few links to find pretty decent renders:
http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/?q=christmas+render
http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/?q=winter+render
http://bakarenders.com/renders/index.php
http://planetrenders.net/renders/

Last edited:
I'll sign up but if i don't post an entry it's not because i forgot it's because i suck

I'll sign up, usually I 'm the one who hosts these signature contests so it would be a good change to actually be in it.

How do we remove the 'entire' background of an image then?

EDIT: Is there any specific sizing that you're only allowing?

How do we remove the 'entire' background of an image then?

EDIT: Is there any specific sizing that you're only allowing?

As long as the size is relatively large (larger than an average signature, so it looks good when scaled) then it should be fine.

To render an image, you'll have to take it into Photoshop or GIMP and use brushes, pen tool or an array of other methods to "erase" the background. Can be difficult to get a good cut of an image unless you have a pen tablet.

Otherwise, you can try to find an image that you like on one of the sites I linked in my previous post or simply use google images to find one. Just make sure that the background is transparent. It makes it a whole lot easier for everyone in the contest if the image has a transparent background.

If you REALLY want to enter an image into the contest that doesn't have a transparent background or isn't rendered then go ahead and PM it to Justin anyway and make a note that you want it rendered. He can send it to me (or whoever else can render) anonymously and get it rendered for you.

As long as the size is relatively large (larger than an average signature, so it looks good when scaled) then it should be fine.

To render an image, you'll have to take it into Photoshop or GIMP and use brushes, pen tool or an array of other methods to "erase" the background. Can be difficult to get a good cut of an image unless you have a pen tablet.

Otherwise, you can try to find an image that you like on one of the sites I linked in my previous post or simply use google images to find one. Just make sure that the background is transparent. It makes it a whole lot easier for everyone in the contest if the image has a transparent background.

If you REALLY want to enter an image into the contest that doesn't have a transparent background or isn't rendered then go ahead and PM it to Justin anyway and make a note that you want it rendered. He can send it to me (or whoever else can render) anonymously and get it rendered for you.

I'm sorry to be awkward but, what is a transparent background?

I'm sorry to be awkward but, what is a transparent background?

Transparent means there isn't a background, not even a plain white one.

This is an image that's transparent.
Wikipe-tan_in_navy_uniform2_transparent.png

This is an image that isn't transparent. (It's hard to see, but notice the white box around pikachu)
pikachu.gif

The reason we're requesting you send in transparent images is so when people make their signatures they can place the character on top of their own backgrounds.

If you're really not sure, just go ahead and send it to Justin anyway and if it isn't transparent he can send it to me to make transparent for entry into the contest.

Transparent means there isn't a background, not even a plain white one.

This is an image that's transparent.
Wikipe-tan_in_navy_uniform2_transparent.png

This is an image that isn't transparent. (It's hard to see, but notice the white box around pikachu)
pikachu.gif

The reason we're requesting you send in transparent images is so when people make their signatures they can place the character on top of their own backgrounds.

If you're really not sure, just go ahead and send it to Justin anyway and if it isn't transparent he can send it to me to make transparent for entry into the contest.

If you drag the image, you'll see exactly what Jason's talking about.

I'd enter, but I don't have any photo program to use on my computer. :/ IMO, best site to use is planet renders. It's free and great. If I can get something between now and the end of registration, I'll sign up.

I've added everyone who I think wanted to sign up to the list, if I forgot somebody or misunderstood and added someone who didn't want to make a signature let me know.

And thanks everyone for the render submissions so far. Keep it coming. Remember, if you signed up to make a signature, we want you to submit a render too!

Back