• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you think Animal Crossing is an RPG?

yeah I think it is. "A Role you're Playing in the Game."

Wow. Look at the capitals in that message lol. ^^

i voted for this a while ago, and forgot what i voted for, but it's not really an rpg, more of a sandbox game with some rpg elements.

It's not, not in the traditional-video-game sense of the word.

There is a lot of confusion as to what an RPG is. It's not if you only play a role. You play a role in an adventure game, but it's not called an RPG. An RPG is when you not only play a role, but there is also character development, like leveling up.

Bulerias said:
There is a lot of confusion as to what an RPG is. It's not if you only play a role. You play a role in an adventure game, but it's not called an RPG. An RPG is when you not only play a role, but there is also character development, like leveling up.
Yes, more or less.

In the traditional sense.

Dark_viscount said:
According to Gamespot Animal crossing is an RPG.
Well, that's just because they don't have a broad range of choices. They probably only have about 10 genres in there.

Gamespot is kinda, uh, stupid.

I don't think so.For me, an RPG is an adventure game, one where you journey to far away lands, with a goal.You venture with other people and level up.In Animal Crossing, you hardly have any of that.You do travel places sort of...but you don't really have a goal, except to live a good life and pay off your debts.But there's no levelling up or adventure.

Back