• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

what do your sketches/groundworks look like?

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Bells
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Purple Hybrid Rose
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Rose
White Rose
I'm always interested in seeing how different artists do sketches differently for their drawings. some people's sketches are really pretty to look at, and some are super messy. some people don't even use sketches, they use something else to lay the groundwork for their art. I'm interested in seeing how this forum's artists do their sketches! 😁

personally my sketches tend to look pretty rough bc I like to use a lot of lines to get a feel for how I want something to be shaped. I use sketches as a loose guideline for my line art, I very rarely follow it strictly.

back in June I made myself a signature for pride month featuring six of my anthro OCs, and starting out I made a super rough sketch to get a general idea of how I wanted each character to be posed:
happy-pride-sketch.png

once that was done I went back and made actual sketches that I would base my line art off of:
happy-pride-sketch-2.png

and the final product ended up looking like this :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
here's the sketch of Jamal the Magikoopa I did earlier this year, the sketch was actually so rough that I colored sections so I knew what was what 😂
jamal-sketch.png

and the final product for comparison looks like this!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
and here are two more sketches that never got turned into drawings, namely a sketch of John Gladys with Comet and my whimsy dragon Isaiah ✨
john-gladys-and-comet.png
isaiah2.png

feel free to post your examples below!

Ooh, fun thread idea! :D

My digital sketches used to look super messy, but recently I've been trying to make them (somewhat) neat so I have an actual base for the final product.

Added bonus/fact: Since I usually draw CPU Miis from Wii Sports, the color I use to sketch them is based off of their favorite color. (Ex: Sakura in pink, Abby in dark blue, Nick in forest green, etc.)

What my sketches used to look like - Super messy. :,)

1670208864873.png

1670208881002.png
What my sketches look like now - Much neater. ^^

1670208992049.png

1670209081300.png

1670209028438.png

We don't talk about my sketches in my (physical) sketchbook, they're super messy and strange. 😅

C7C565EE-BB0B-43CD-9314-02BCAAD54776.png

sorry for posting this absolutely cursed image but this is really the only picture i have of a sketch at the moment because i’m not at home
it took me an embarrassingly long time to learn how to sketch… i used to just press as HARD as POSSIBLE on the paper and it wouldn’t even erase :,) thank god i learned from art classes

View attachment 485285
sorry for posting this absolutely cursed image but this is really the only picture i have of a sketch at the moment because i’m not at home
it took me an embarrassingly long time to learn how to sketch… i used to just press as HARD as POSSIBLE on the paper and it wouldn’t even erase :,) thank god i learned from art classes
lmao this is blessed what are you talkin abt

8DE9A9F8-8730-4A6F-B0BD-024306C01858.jpeg

sketch i did a few days ago. it’s one of my better ones tbh, i just need to fix the face and hair. i have messier examples but i unfortunately don’t have them right now (they’re all on my computer + i usually delete it after the drawing is done) as you can tell from this, i have zero knowledge of anatomy 😭

Back