🥦🥒Raw Veggies 🍄🥕

Baby cucumbers, baby carrots, sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, and snow peas are all good! Regular-sized cucumber and carrot are also fine if they're cut up, but I just prefer the baby versions.

I eat a lot of salad, actually I eat at least one on a daily basis so I eat a ton of raw veggies. My favourites are cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, stem turnip/turnip cabbage, carrots or bell peppers. I also like leafy greens of all kind.

i'll consume tomatoes, different colour peppers, cucumber and olives raw. also really love kimchi.

i'm pretty indifferent towards raw mushrooms and carrots - they're not my go-to. used to like raw lettuce but no longer do. not into raw onions either, they're too hot ;_; would easily eat cooked lettuce, onions and most other vegetables

I mean basic salads are primarily raw veggies (plus fruits, nuts, (cooked) meats, cheeses, spices, etc, pending the make), and I'm basically fine with them pending how they're put together

but beyond that, I'm also down for like small portions of onions and bell peppers when I'm cutting them up to cook for something else. usually pieces that miss getting into the actual dish. onions also fine raw on like burgers etc, though I'd go caramelized, if I had the choice for that

I feel like there's probably some other I'm missing, but this I believe does cover a decent portion, at least

Are there any vegetables you are okay with eating raw as a snack?

I think my favorite are bell peppers, but I like mushrooms raw too, and cucumber.
Onions are good on a sandwich raw, but I still prefer them caramelized.
Many mushrooms will make you sick raw.
Morels for example will send you to a hospital with intense sickness if eaten raw.

They contain chitin, and mushrooms like gyromitra will straight up merk you raw.

Most store fungi are portabellos, including the button mushrooms. Even then, should never be eaten raw :p

But... I also like raw rhubarb, and that vegetable has oxalic acid. Definitely not good raw. But... oh so tasty.

Many mushrooms will make you sick raw.
Morels for example will send you to a hospital with intense sickness if eaten raw.

They contain chitin, and mushrooms like gyromitra will straight up merk you raw.

Most store fungi are portabellos, including the button mushrooms. Even then, should never be eaten raw :p

But... I also like raw rhubarb, and that vegetable has oxalic acid. Definitely not good raw. But... oh so tasty.
I agree but I have seen salads many times with raw white button mushrooms sliced up at different places. I've never gotten sick from raw white button mushrooms from the store. My relatives never have when put in their salad.
But yeah some mushrooms have an enzyme that has to be cooked so if your growing your own mushrooms (bacteria concern due to not being a professional) or foraging you better cook it.
I should have stated what mushrooms I've eaten raw.

I agree but I have seen salads many times with raw white button mushrooms sliced up at different places. I've never gotten sick from raw white button mushrooms from the store. My relatives never have when put in their salad.
But yeah some mushrooms have an enzyme that has to be cooked so if your growing your own mushrooms (bacteria concern due to not being a professional) or foraging you better cook it.
I should have stated what mushrooms I've eaten raw.
All commercial fungi contain chitin. There are extremely, and I mean extremely, few fungi that contain little to no chitin.

It infuriates me that people eat raw ports. Yes, we *can* eat them raw. But shouldn't.
It's really bad for our tums, it's like eating crab or lobster shells. We just ain't geared to break it down well.

They're why there was a recent string of morel poisonings this year, some dips put raw morels in salads at restaurants.
And, bacteria concern is still a thing for pros too ! The sterile methods used for lions mane and shelf fungi doesn't apply to all fungi. Stropharia are grown in fields, ports are often grown in manure in some areas, and morels are grown with a method that requires live soil and grass.

+ transit often is unsanitary. Bacteria is always an issue o-o

You speak to the fungi nut internet denizen!

All fungi contain chitin.

It infuriates me that people eat raw ports. Yes, we *can* eat them raw. But shouldn't.
It's really bad for our tums, it's like eating crab or lobster shells. We just ain't geared to break it down well.

They're why there was a recent string of morel poisonings this year, some dips put raw morels in salads at restaurants.
And, bacteria concern is still a thing for pros too ! The sterile methods used for lions mane and shelf fungi doesn't apply to all fungi. Stropharia are grown in fields, ports are often grown in manure in some areas, and morels are grown with a method that requires live soil and grass.

+ transit often is unsanitary. Bacteria is always an issue o-o

You speak to the fungi nut internet denizen!
To each their own. There are many people who are against any kind of produce being consumed raw due to manure and insect exposure during growth. And then there is the argument of raw eggs or sushi. And more recently talk about how lettuce shouldn't be eaten raw due to bacteria contaimation and parasite contaimation being a more common occurrence now. Something I've seen relatives get sick from without mushrooms being on it unlike the white button mushrooms in my area.
Cooking is a good idea, and so are vinegar washes.
White button mushrooms are generally considered safe to consume raw if professionally grown and not old. No one has to eat them raw. And hopefully most know the kind of risks that are involved with eating anything raw or anything undercooked, even if flash frozen first or cold smoked or arguably (UV rays and insects) sun dried.

I want to mention the white buttons we eat are from a place that grows them in peat moss indoors though I'm sure insects still find ways.

Last edited:
I'm all for eating many things raw. Fungi are just a big nitpick for me. If others do it, that's okie. It's just more upsetting that people don't give a heads up that our bodies don't digest chitin well.

I'm not against most raw foods, sushi isn't for me but I get it. Same with eggs, beef, and even pork to a degree. The quality and processing determines wether it's possible to eat raw.

Lettuce is often subject to ecoli contamination. For some odd reason it keeps happening each year, that's more of a supplier issue than the produce. But, it also tends to have dirt suck in the leaves because of how it grows. Which would also explain the ecoli.

I get the argument for manure... but like... dirt XD Dirt is dirt. Just wash what you eat, parasites and such are a risk no matter what.

I eat a good amount of salads so whatever raw vegetables comes on that I’m good with. I also really love kimchi and cucumber kimchi, but does pickled vegetables count as raw or cooked? Idk but I also like all sorts of other pickled vegetables such as daikon and onions. I also ate broccoli raw once, my sister in law made a delicious Italian salad that had broccoli included and it was so so good. I guess I should have asked for the recipe.

I eat a good amount of salads so whatever raw vegetables comes on that I’m good with. I also really love kimchi and cucumber kimchi, but does pickled vegetables count as raw or cooked? Idk but I also like all sorts of other pickled vegetables such as daikon and onions. I also ate broccoli raw once, my sister in law made a delicious Italian salad that had broccoli included and it was so so good. I guess I should have asked for the recipe.
Idk if pickled veggies are considered cooked or raw. I've never canned food before and I don't know anything about that stuff beyond that heat is needed to seal jars.
My mom has made pickles at home but the jar had to stay in the fridge while it was soaking until ready. It wasn't shelf safe and it wasn't sealed like the pickle jars at the store are that pop when you first open them and are shelf safe. So, I assume there are more than one way to process cucumbers and things into pickled stuff. 🤷
---

Slightly unrelated but it turns out chitin is found in the exoskeleton of insects and is currently being talked about if people should be eating them or not since there has been talk of bug flour being a possible food source staple in the near future (usually crickets or mealworms are chosen for this). I decided to do a Google about seafood and chitin out of curiosity and bugs since I know they are kinda related. Bugs and seafood are common foods forbidden in certain ancient diets in certain civilizations so I got curious.

And it seems many people with crustacean allergies have a reaction to crickets. Idk if this last part is about chitin though.

Last edited:
Back