• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Old vs New: What's better? (Part 1)

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Good times and bad times will always happen as long as we live, but some things may phase out as we move on to the future. But one thing that alway wins is nostalgia, the memories of the past. Of course some things won't last forever. We don't want that anyway. But nostalgia isn't the only factor. While we may enjoy the energy efficiency in technology, space efficiency in technology, and smarter technology, there are some things older technology is better in.

If you want to know what I like more, I tend to prefer the older stuff over the newer stuff. A couple of you know that I am right-winged in almost every issue in politics. Even by US standards, I'm in the mid-right, close to the far right. I also view the Silent Generation and Baby Boomers (the 20th century people) more positively while I view the Millennnials and Generation Z (the 21st century people) more negatively. But if there's another thing I'm conservative in, it's preferences in technology and pop culture. I understand that we have to stick with the modern times (as it's less of a pain to deal with), but they have some stuff that worse than the older times).

Here are the forms of technology and pop culture that I compared between old and new:

1. Cars - To be honest, cars and other forms of transportation are one of the many things where technology advancements invalidate the older forms. Even the designs have gotten better. I'm not a driver so I wouldn't be fair if I judged them, but I don't feel nostalgic over older forms of transportation. I personally prefer the newer models. Looking back at the older cars and comparing them to the newer cars, I would obviously prefer the newer ones. So score one to the new tech.
  2. Computers - Again, this is one of those few things where newer is always better, but not necessarily. Take a look at Windows operating systems. Our best ones we ever had were Windows XP and Windows 7, with Vista and 8 being complete trash. Windows 10 seems to be an improvement. Even Microsoft Office is a lot better now than the older versions. As long as I'm used to Windows 10, I'm not switching back. But if you want to know what I think is the best operating system when it comes to theme, it has got to be Windows 98. The Windows logo, tab designs, and sound effects of Windows 98 were much better than what we have in Windows Vista and up (especially Windows 8 and Windows 10). And it's not just limited to home computers, but also iPads. In my honest opinion, the worst iOS updates were iOS 5 to iOS 6, and from iOS 6 to iOS 7. The latter one was a huge insult to me. I prefer their classic and realistic icons (as well as pop-up boxes and options tabs) as brought by iOS 6 and before rather than the minimalistic and modern icons (as well as pop-up boxes and options tabs) as brought by iOS 7. Even the Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps suck now. Not only the icons were ruined, but also inside the apps. The Pages app used to have a page on a piece of wood. Now it's too much like Microsoft Word.
    So computers have gotten a lot better, but the overall design and themes was way worse than the software and hardware was better.
  3. Phones - I'm not gonna kiss iPhones goodbye. I liked the contemporary cell phones (like the iPhone) more than classic cell phones that can only call or text. It's also better than a landline phone. But I don't want to see landline phones go away. But if there's anything newer phones lose, it has to be strength and battery life. When you drop your phones, it's easier to break. What's even worse is that battery life on newer phones is much shorter than older phones. And this is always true. The more you charge your phone, the shorter the battery life gets.
  4. Music - I don't really care too much about music, but it's true that I prefer 80's music and older opposed to music of last decade and this decade. Compare 2010's music to 1960's music is like comparing a one-star hotel room filled with roaches to a five-star hotel room with excellence in design and cleanliness. The 60's had the Beatles and Elvis Presley. I find Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus too cringeworthy. You can see one reason why I appeal to the silent gen more than the millennials.
  5. Television - I was looking at the older TV shows (1950's to 1980's) compared to today's TV shows (2000's and 2010's), and I thought the older ones were a lot better (including the black-and-white ones). Even the animation branch was better now. I know it's not fair to judge cartoons if you're an adult, but I really thought the older ones were a lot better in terms of creativity. It's true that cartoons are a lot better when you're a kid while the ones when you're a teen are worse than what you saw as a kid. My generation was used to Cartoon Network when it had Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Powerpuff Girls, and Dexter's Laboratory, as well as Grim Adventures and Kids Next Door. And the Nick shows we liked were Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, Rocket Power, Catdog, and pre-movie Sponegob. When these shows took off (and when Spongebob changed), we started thinking that cartoons have been going downhill. But really, it hasn't. However, I've thought the cartoons before my time looked a lot better than now.

This is a three-part blog. Part one is over.

I really liked the TV shows from the 90's personally, but I don't know if you would include that in new or old. I also like old music, but I think 2000's music was pretty good too, but 2010's isn't very good, like at all. I miss landlines, because when I lose my cell phone I could call it with my home phone, but a lot of homes no longer have landlines.

I agree with you on computers and cars, computers have gotten faster and more efficient, and the designs are worse, and cars are much better.

Back