• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gamecube Memory Card?

scykol

Bells
Recently bought AC and plan on using my wii since it has spots for my controller, however still need to buy a memory card. Are knockoffs an alright option? I looked on both amazon and ebay and can't decide since I can't find any forums talking about it. I would rather have one that is oem but if there isn't a reason to not get one for cheaper I'd rather do that lol

From my experience, third party memory cards on the GameCube were generally fine. Though if you're playing on the Wii, be careful of some Mad Catz branded ones. Not because they don't work, but because their geometry makes it difficult to get in and out of the Wii's memory card slots. It's been many years, so I don't remember the specific model, but I remember one of my friends had an issue where their third party memory card was jammed in the slot and couldn't be removed without an amount of force that is... unadvisable if you hope to continue using it for a long time.

Other than that, the only other thing I'd look out for with third party memory cards is probably the amount of storage space on the card. If you're only planning on using it to play Animal Crossing, then chances are any old card will do, but if you're planning on playing multiple games, then storage limitations are going to be a thorn in your side. Animal Crossing Wiki states that one save file for Animal Crossing takes 57 blocks (plus additional blocks for the NES games and other added content), which to my recollection, isn't an insignificant number for GameCube storage. Third party memory cards run the full spectrum of either having more space than you will ever need or...

itty-bitty-living-s-pace-alladin.gif

...so you'll want to research how much the model you're looking into buying has before making a purchase.

Otherwise, I think you'll be fine with just about anything.

From what I recall many years ago, never had an issue with 3rd party memory cards. But would suggest buying one with plenty of positive reviews.

I heard somewhere that the bigger the storage on a memory card is, the likelier it is to corrupt, and presumably that’d go especially for third party cards, so be careful.

I heard somewhere that the bigger the storage on a memory card is, the likelier it is to corrupt, and presumably that’d go especially for third party cards, so be careful.

I’ve heard this as well. Originally the game shipped with a 59 block card so I’d suggest one of those as that’s what I’m using for AC.

Though the 251 card I also have has been good, so if you are looking for more space to save other games that could be a good option as well.

all the gamecube memory cards I have are 3rd party so I would say they're just fine to use :)

As somebody who had a couple of official 1019 block memory cards both get corrupted, I can confirm that's true for the largest size. In comparison, my 59/251 block memory cards never ended up getting corrupted.

I did have a third party memory card (59 block) that I used back in the day (for an AC save, no less) that never gave me problems, so it should work, though I agree with researching and making sure it has positive reviews just to be safe. If you only intend to play AC, or only need the memory card for saving your AC game, then getting a 59 block memory card will suffice. You only really need a 251 block memory card if you have multiple games you want to save onto the memory card.

I've actually had the opposite experience, where the memory cards with less space than is typical tended to corrupt fairly often, whereas my larger storage ones (last time I checked, which has admittedly been awhile) still have my save files from back in the day. That's just my experience, though; if there's enough people who have had the opposite, then it's probably best to take their word for it.

Back