• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Elusive whale...

*shrugs* If I were a programmer, I wouldn't make a sprite with a special tail just for something that a player is only going to see for all of a few seconds while visiting an island they can only get to with an attachment not sold with the main game. I'd just make a bigger version of the normal fish sprite.

I wasn't really being all that serious, you know.

This is something I would of programmed in
If I did the coding for this I would of totally make a whale to swim by, I spend a lot of time fishing, and if I were to see that in normal circumstances I would freek out heart pumping and run my beach line till its gone and wait for it to come back. I would spend the next few days afrade to leave the beach in case I missed it.

no fish in the ocean off the coast of the island and the town face any direction besides facing up.
I made at least a dozen trips to/from the island today. I didn't see a whale, but I did see this fish while arriving at the island. It's not vertical, but at a diagonal angle similar to what the large shadow in that first video would have been at.
ac-arrivingatisland.jpg

I made at least a dozen trips to/from the island today. I didn't see a whale, but I did see this fish while arriving at the island. It's not vertical, but at a diagonal angle similar to what the large shadow in that first video would have been at.
ac-arrivingatisland.jpg

fish often swim in that direction or directly sideways then quickly turn up when they happen to be swimming upwards into an obstacle. in this case, it is the dock, or kappn's boat. I have never seen a fish off shore not facing upward toward town but you never know I guess...

This reminds me of being on ACC when I was 13 and a group of us being Glitch hunters and investigating rumours. xP (anyone else remember Brutus and pink/purple Stella?)

I used to go back and fourth to the Island a lot, and I think I only saw the whale once. I swear it moved up/down without moving it's tail though and not sat completely statically. Though maybe that could just be the water moving, or my memory being a crap.

Oh damn! I never ever knew there was such a thing. If I could get the GameCube down from the loft and find my Gameboy, I'd so try and find this. that's so cool!! ;w; sobs my whole life has been a lie up until this point. oh my goodness. :'D

Wow, Pretty cool.
That glitch could be an easter egg, Kind of a "Congratulations for being curious, Here's your reward". Maybe they wanted to make the fish into the game, But they didn't have enough space, So they put it as a litte cameo, An eye candy.

Knowing Nintendo, it'll probably reveal itself to be some kind of boss battle in editions to come.

Last edited:
I remember that. >_>; I tried reeling it in, crashed my game. It scared the bejeesus outta me.

I remember that. >_>; I tried reeling it in, crashed my game. It scared the bejeesus outta me.

It is kind of not recommended to bump old threads... I think.

Anyways, I do remember seeing this, and reeling it in is impossible, as you only see it on the way to the island.
Well, unless, of course, you do the wierd snowball glitch.

I might try catching it soon since I have an Action Replay. But I must say that because of the size, once I do catch it, I'm afraid that I'll get a massive heart attack.

Yeah but I heard there was a certain code to actually catch it. I have a Press Z to jump code but I don't think it's that cheat. If I do catch it, I might even post a photo of what it looks like when caught.

Even if it was possible to catch it, the game would crash before it fully comes out.

Back