• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you celebrate Lunar New Year IRL?

Do you celebrate Lunar New Year?

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Sometimes / Other

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

deana

🌸
Bells
Orange Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Orange Hybrid Rose
Yellow Rose
Red Rose
White Pansy
White Pansy
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Since we got our first Lunar New Year event on TBT, I'm curious to find out how many people from here celebrate IRL. If you do celebrate feel free to share what you do, activities, foods, traditions, etc!

Sometimes, I celebrate it by eating Panda Express on the same day. I would only do that if the zodiac animal is the rooster, ox, or snake.

My family doesn't and we don't know anyone IRL who does and also lives in our state*, so I've never really had experience with it beyond knowing people online who celebrate, and this event of course! 🏮
*There's a family friend who celebrates, but he moved away before I was born, so I've never actually met him! He and my parents do still talk over the phone on occasion though.

I do! Recently it's mostly just been "clean, eat a large dinner with family, receive hongbao" because life is just generally busy for my household. But that's also sort of how most celebrations go at this point in my life 😅

When I was younger I would usually be told to skip school and then I'd be with my cousins and we'd have a large party (adults preparing food, playing mahjong, karaoke, etc., and then the kids just... playing games or setting fire to stuff or something.)

It would also involve eating a lot of these candies:
1708643773545.png

They're hard strawberry candies that do soften, but they get really sticky? I liked them, and it was fun bringing them to my friends at school who understood nothing except that I got money and candy and didn't have to go to school. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ i was like one of the only asian kids in my grade. or... school, rather.

... also there were electronic firecrackers which were just really loud and horrible. memorable, but horrible to me. my mom found them funny, i would leave the room 〒▽〒

Aaand... in some Chinese restaurants, there'd also be lion dances! I didn't get to grow up around a lot of them, so it was nice to see.

my memory is largely just food and money tho

YES!

I did so much cleaning to get the house moderately clean enough to be able to welcome the Kitchen Diety with the yearly animal (the dragon this year) and left some bribes out for them to report what a nice clean house I have to the Jade Emperor.

We also made a ridiculous amount of food that we ate and basically went into a slight food coma. Think it like we ate so much and had to sleep it off :D

I do not! But the celebrations sound fun, especially with all the food.

No, but I will be celebrating it next year...for obvious reasons. May go into the city for Chinese food then 🐍🎉

We don't. We do the dec31/jan1 new year's stuff. So like, games, stay up to midnight, snacks, fireworks.

I didn't actually know about the lunar new year until a few years ago- we were looking up our zodiac years and realized my mom had thought she was the wrong year. The lunar new year date put her in a different zodiac year.

At the very least, we buy the seasonal treats (lotus seed candy, coconut strings, etc). Sometimes we will have family dinner to celebrate as well.

No, but it seems interesting! I may have to do something for it next year. Maybe making another paper lantern 😁

Not personally, but it's quite a big event in London and I sometimes go along to observe and the decorations are cool, especially in Chinatown.

Unfortunately not. I don't know anyone personally who celebrates Lunar New Year, nor do I know if there are any festivities around my area. I'd be interested in partaking if there are though, or if I ever happen to be somewhere that does at the time.

Normally no! I do have some asian relatives and my foster brother is from Tibet, so I do now some things about it and always wish those who celebrate a fortunate new year :)

But I'm in japan this year, so we were able to celebrate in our neighbourhood, they put up a little festival and the local temple had some cute festivities as well, so that was really fun.

it's not typically something we 'celebrate' in a traditional sense, but my mum is very interested in it and so we went out for a meal today - largely just because my visit home coincided with the end of the celebrations, but also because we normally do something for it, even if it's just buying fortune cookies!

Nope, I've never celebrated it. Since it's not really celebrated where I live (as far as I know, anyways), I admittedly didn't actually know it was a thing until the past couple of years or so. 😅

We do.
Leading up to it we prep with cooking and cleaning. Just before we go to temple for events and activities. Day of we stay home to observe traditions and eat traditional foods for luck for the year.
Day following we go to temple again do fortunes and pray.
And usually throughout there are various events going on in the week and dragon dances for some of the businesses around.

Back