• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Villager Popularity List - Updated

Last edited:
So Piper for example can't be gotten? But can be moved in if you have the card/figure things?

Yeah of course she can, apparently the only exceptions are the Sanrio series and the villagers that are obtained via amiibo FIGURES (aka the Splatoon, Zelda and Monster Hunter ones). The "regular" series 5 can be scanned and adopted freely by visitors like regular villagers :)

Edit: Ninja'd by Tobia's much better explenation ^^"

Last edited:
Yes, but we need someone who's going to be impartial, has the time and wants to put in the effort...
That's why I don't think there will be a new list anytime soon. :/

I would volunteer but I have no idea how to figure out who is more popular and whatnot, without stalking the villager trading plaza day in and day out. XP

Honestly more than keeping an eye out for forum trades, we should look at everyone's dreamie lists (including characters they've already obtained). Villagers that pop up for trade on the plaza are jus too little to go by imo.

But even just straight-up making a poll of some kind wouldn't be truthful because a) everyone would only have one vote and b) liking a villager doesn't always necessarily mean wanting that villager in one of your towns right now.

If the objective of the list is to define how much demand there is on the TBT market for a certain animal and thus its hypothetical value, it's not really about who people like, but who people need.
If that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Honestly more than keeping an eye out for forum trades, we should look at everyone's dreamie lists (including characters they've already obtained). Villagers that pop up for trade on the plaza are jusr too little to go by imo.
I completely agree with this.
And this is why it'd take so much time and effort.
The tier list is looking at supply vs demand. Looking at how fast a villager has been bought isn't a good indicator because you'll have to factor in what time of day it was, what day of the week, etc.
I also agree that polls would not work at all.

You need to look at a ton of current dreamie lists, see how have been fulfilled or not, and also look at the trade post to see how often they come up, how often they're being 'looked for', etc etc. So much effort...

it's not really about who people like, but who people need.
If that makes any sense.
Again, I agree with you totally. It's about supply and demand, especially now that amiibo cards are a thing, and people can just scan in cards to adopt out. The more common cards are easy to get from multiple people, and the rarer ones will be harder. But you'd also need to see if there's demand the rarer cards...

I would volunteer but I have no idea how to figure out who is more popular and whatnot, without stalking the villager trading plaza day in and day out. XP

Honestly, I think it'd take a small team of people working together to keep up a Tier list.

Last edited:
I think it would be cool if there were something akin to a flair where people could put up to 10 dreamies. Then the data would theoretically be easily gathered, would just need to be placed into an algorithm to see how often some show up. But then again, thats off of the top of my head.

I think it would be cool if there were something akin to a flair where people could put up to 10 dreamies. Then the data would theoretically be easily gathered, would just need to be placed into an algorithm to see how often some show up. But then again, thats off of the top of my head.
The forum actually does have something like that. It's under your about me, and is labeled 'New Leaf - Dream Villagers', the problem with that is that few people use it, and/or update it. Also it wouldn't tell you who they achieved getting from their dream list. The signature dream lists tend to tell you both who they want, and who they have obtained.
Unfortunately the dreamie lists tend to be in pictures, so no program can go through and document it.

The forum actually does have something like that. It's under your about me, and is labeled 'New Leaf - Dream Villagers', the problem with that is that few people use it, and/or update it. Also it wouldn't tell you who they achieved getting from their dream list. The signature dream lists tend to tell you both who they want, and who they have obtained.
Unfortunately the dreamie lists tend to be in pictures, so no program can go through and document it.

I see, so it's basically a feature that could use tweaking. People compile those pictures on their own, right? I wouldn't do that, but if you gave me say ten drop down lists where I could click and select my dreamies and their pictures would show beneath my avatar/in my signature or something, it would be quantifiable and more widely used. Assuming those signature pics are made by people on their own time, I'm new here so idk lol.

TBH, I can't think of any other way for the list to be reliable. If you were to ask me for my Moe Amiibo Card for your Merengue, I would trade instantly. But, if you were to ask me to move Moe out of my town for Merengue, I would say no. That's a big bias if trading is taken into account.

Last edited:
I see, so it's basically a feature that could use tweaking. People compile those pictures on their own, right? I wouldn't do that, but if you gave me say ten drop down lists where I could click and select my dreamies and their pictures would show beneath my avatar/in my signature or something, it would be quantifiable and more widely used. Assuming those signature pics are made by people on their own time, I'm new here so idk lol.

TBH, I can't think of any other way for the list to be reliable. If you were to ask me for my Moe Amiibo Card for your Merengue, I would trade instantly. But, if you were to ask me to move Moe out of my town or Merengue, I would say no. That's a big bias if trading is taken into account.

I know you and I are card traders, but most people use this list for trading in game villagers, not cards. I think physical card trading needs to have their own separate list.

When I mentioned cards early, i meant in it's effect on how common they are to find people who are willing to scan them in for a trade, not physically trading them.

And actually people usually pay TBT for other to make those signature dream lists for them, not themselves. It's just a way to bling up their signature and tell you about their town. I don't think anything manual like that would replace it. Usually it also lists their town name, and FC in a pretty way.

I think that the list should be put together by someone but the data be suppiled by the community, similar to the collectible guide. That way it takes the work off the one person and it also doesn't feel like it's just one person's opinion.

I know you and I are card traders, but most people use this list for trading in game villagers, not cards. I think physical card trading needs to have their own separate list.

When I mentioned cards early, i meant in it's effect on how common they are to find people who are willing to scan them in for a trade, not physically trading them.

And actually people usually pay TBT for other to make those signature dream lists for them, not themselves. It's just a way to bling up their signature and tell you about their town. I don't think anything manual like that would replace it. Usually it also lists their town name, and FC in a pretty way.

Right, that's what I figured, mini-shops made them for people. I also noticed that this list differed from card trading in that they don't really matter at all for cards, we could just use eBay and personal opinion as our tier list lol, since everyone is just trying to either fill their blank spots or only get what they don't already have. Once you have it in card form, it can't move out. That's another variable when you're not talking about cards. How many times did one person have to trade for the same villager?

I could talk about it forever. Maybe I should read the FAQ and get a better feel for how this is compiled because I've been wondering for a few days how much faith I should put into this list. Was thinking of opening a cycling shop and this perplexes me because I feel like it's either quantifiable or it's not. Any way you can get maybe a large monthly sample size to list their dreamies and have them broken down into percentages would be the only way I think this could be accurate. Also, if it's done only by one person, I immediately call the whole thing into question, especially when not disclosing how they come to their conclusions. Anecdotal evidence is the worst kind. Basically, if there's no actual data, it's just a blurry guideline. Which is okay, too, but not something I think should be heralded as a price guideline or anything.

Last edited:
Also, if it's done only by one person, I immediately call the whole thing into question, especially when not disclosing how they come to their conclusions.

This list was made by someone with others I believe. But I agree, it can't be made by a single person, especially if they (or their friends) are somehow benefiting from it. I think it should be made by a group of people.

I also agree, if you make a tier list, show all your data and how you got to the conclusion.

At the end of the day, this list is for trading villagers for TBT or IGB and not RLC, so the accuracy isn't super important.

And yea, the whole "How many times did one person have to trade for the same villager?" is also a factor.

This doesn't completely work for cards, but it does work to see which villagers people jsut like in general. Tier 1 cards and Tier 2 are still the most popular cards, even though it doesn't coincide with how rare they are. But yes, this list + ebay + your opinion and likes, are how you figure out card value.

Last edited:
No offense or attack intended against Chrystina or Hound00med for their efforts on these lists but did they ever show their research and data? Skyfall posted an excel spreadsheet on her findings for collectibles so it seemed to sit well with me but I don't recall ever seeing data for these results. Not calling anyone a liar, of course, but it would be nice to see to make it seem more believeable. Unless they did at one point and I missed it.

No offense or attack intended against Chrystina or Hound00med for their efforts on these lists but did they ever show their research and data? Skyfall posted an excel spreadsheet on her findings for collectibles so it seemed to sit well with me but I don't recall ever seeing data for these results. Not calling anyone a liar, of course, but it would be nice to see to make it seem more believable. Unless they did at one point and I missed it.
The conversations on this board I believe were suppose to be some proof, since they took input from others.
Other than that, I've never seen any proof/data.

I think these are based on which villagers are most sought-after based on posts and stuff. Like, more people ask for the tier 1 villagers than the tier 2 villagers, and more people ask for the tier 2 villagers than the tier 3 villagers. It's not hard if you look at what villagers people are looking for.

I see the list has changed quite a bit ESP tiers 2-4 which is great I still think there are way too many loved and wanted villagers sitting in t5 and people think oh not worth my time due to the list and void them making them hard to find and people are looking. I like some threads I am seeing where it is one price IGB or tbt for all villagers equally. If my list were here of my top 15 I currently don't have and want it wouldn't look like this and many others agree so I do think we need a better system and more interactive or community based one or just people to know that people are looking for those t5s to pop up so don't not advertise them so hard to find and it includes so so many characters.

Back