• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

TBT Economic Stats

Have a feeling this would require quite some more server space, hosting, and the costs for those as well, even if I like your idea.

I guess re-releasing more of the old pixels or making more of the current ones could be a solution(like having more restock, old fair collectible raffles etc.), but yeah then those who have them from the start or bought them expensive will flip :^)

I saw so many of these posts, "I bought x collectible because y was sold out.."

An idea I have is for any future events, remove the limited stock, make it all unlimited.

Most of the events hosted here require "event ticket" anyways so it's not like someone can buy 1031913012931 of a collectible to make a profit from and it'll remove the stress and urgency of having to submit things right away before the collectible becomes sold out.

And all the collectibles sold will still be considered rare since it wasn't bought with forum bells but with event tickets for participating.

And for contests, they can still use the trophy and event tickets. They can add another collectible to make it more special.

Can mods consider this please??

Last edited:
Yeah of course there are older members that "keep" old collectibles inactive and unless the staff wants someone else to have them there is not much we can do, unless those members are willing to come back and sell/give them away.

Should also say in addition before you were able to trade game/real life currency and things for them so yeah if someone wanted to buy with TBT bells they had to match that as well.

Yeah of course there are older members that "keep" old collectibles inactive and unless the staff wants someone else to have them there is not much we can do, unless those members are willing to come back and sell/give them away.

Should also say in addition before you were able to trade game/real life currency and things for them so yeah if someone wanted to buy with TBT bells they had to match that as well.

I'm pretty sure majority of the inactives will come back when there's a new animal crossing game. When that happens, there will be a huge influx of the older collectibles but until then, #ripmarketplace

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure majority of the inactives will come back when there's a new animal crossing game. When that happens, there will be a huge influx of collectibles but until then, #ripmarketplace

Yeah, probably. I liked your idea above too, it's not that people buy like 12 Pinky's each either at once or get 10 feather of the same one at that time because they can't so yeah they could very well be unlimited, since there aren't enough things so you could get like 200 tickets unless you won exactly everything so.

Question...why don't we get a 'bonus' for referrals? Justa thought.

We used to have this. Lots of small ways to earn bells like this have been silently nixed over the years as the abusers ruin them for everyone else!

Prices change so adding more TBT into the market isn't the answer. Prices of things would just raise cause people have more money to spend. The problem is that a few years back, people had a lot of TBT to spend. Now they don't so those old prices being listed in the collectible threads are outdated cause no one can afford them. The answer would be for people to realize this and sell for a little less. But they don't cause they don't wanna lose profits, which I get, so now those collectibles sit and they wonder why they have to keep bumping their thread.

This is the analysis that I agree with most out of everyone's takes. The old prices of White Feathers being sold for prices like 50k were absurdly out of control and never should have gone that high to begin with. There seems to be a view (misguided in my opinion) that because those crazy prices don't hold anymore, then there is somehow a problem that needs dealing with.

A number of reasons that no longer apply now caused those prices to take hold in the first place. For one, many of those who became so rich in the early days after New Leaf were due to the massive number of new members joining and buying Animal Crossing items with their welcome forum bells. For a new member joining, they either had no idea what the real value of their bells were, or quite simply didn't care anyway and were only here to trade a few items with no real interest in the TBT community itself.

If someone said to you 'hey, you can get this super rare Animal Crossing item if you just hand over some of your virtual forum currency' and you were a new member just here to trade, why the hell wouldn't you take them up on it? For those reasons, they were more than happy to hand away 100 bells (or more!) each for items to various shops, and the owners of those shops made tens of thousands hand over fist. We slowly reduced the welcome bells over time but it was as high as almost 1000 at one point!

For the record, I certainly don't hold it against anyone who took advantage of that, it was completely fair and by the book with how things worked at the time! But there's no denying in my mind that was a major contributor towards the sky-high prices and the same reason why things changed after we removed welcome bells. It is one of the main reasons we made that change to begin with -- it wasn't just alt accounts.

The other main reason is of course that we no longer allow real money transactions. There are surely a small number of 'under the table' ones taking place these days still, but for a couple years we fully allowed it to take place in public, so there's no doubt that significantly boosted the value of things then.

We used to have this. Lots of small ways to earn bells like this have been silently nixed over the years as the abusers ruin them for everyone else!

Like the poll creation bells? I actually learned that the reason why some people abuse systems like that is because they are too greedy. TBT hoarding is one thing, but the greedy members aren't even the TBT hoarders in general.

For that longer section, I can totally see why welcome bells were taken down. It's to keep the marketplace from having these high prices. You didn't have a problem with high prices, but you didn't want them to be that high all the time. I remember when basic shop collectibles used to be really expensive (not like 10k, but at least 5k). Maybe there should be a price limit on every collectible when being traded. Like Pokeballs can no longer be traded for 18k TBT. It should be like 8k TBT.

But it was more than removing welcome bells. There were a few setbacks on the site's currency. One of them was that a couple of users got fined for exploiting a username change glitch. Another was Jingle's Jolly Jamboree, which took in a lot of TBT Bells. I suggested more spending opportunities to prevent TBT Bells from going too high, and paying more for posting due to how bad the economy has gotten.

I know this is ironic coming from me but maybe yall should go outside

Jasmine Masters - get a job challenge

tbt economy is crashing, we will lose the 2/3 of the sites users who only come on here to smuggle collectibles. think of the investors!

FREE MARKET CAPITALISM

Like the poll creation bells? I actually learned that the reason why some people abuse systems like that is because they are too greedy. TBT hoarding is one thing, but the greedy members aren't even the TBT hoarders in general.

For that longer section, I can totally see why welcome bells were taken down. It's to keep the marketplace from having these high prices. You didn't have a problem with high prices, but you didn't want them to be that high all the time. I remember when basic shop collectibles used to be really expensive (not like 10k, but at least 5k). Maybe there should be a price limit on every collectible when being traded. Like Pokeballs can no longer be traded for 18k TBT. It should be like 8k TBT.

But it was more than removing welcome bells. There were a few setbacks on the site's currency. One of them was that a couple of users got fined for exploiting a username change glitch. Another was Jingle's Jolly Jamboree, which took in a lot of TBT Bells. I suggested more spending opportunities to prevent TBT Bells from going too high, and paying more for posting due to how bad the economy has gotten.

I thought you were in favor of small government, no intervention, and the invisible handof the free market. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Remember when an ABD would sell for 100-150 TBT??

Dupers made OUT!

Remember when an ABD would sell for 100-150 TBT??

Dupers made OUT!

I bought a set of zodiac animals for 300tbt :p ngl I don't miss those prices. Although the animals are in one of my houses still so I guess they've paid for themselves. Lol

Or that one time I sold Diana for 1000 TBT...good times.

Or that one time I sold Diana for 1000 TBT...good times.

Just an FYI for people who weren't active during that time:

This was when welcome bells were a thing. There was no stopping someone from making multiple accounts to get the 700-1000 (?) welcome bells for each account to purchase their dreamies from cycling threads. So like Justin said, people who were doing TBT transactions then, profit greatly from the welcome bells. (But I think most of those members are now inactive)

There also wasn't a "price guide" around at that time either so collectibles were selling at different price points. I think having a price guide helps but I think it also hurts the community as well in some aspects.

Last edited:
Back