The Resetting Thread

Hi all, just needed a little input on this! I received my Japanese copy of the game and spent the whole day searching for a suitable town map. I finally got one that I was extremely satisfied with but the only issue is that it has tons of rocks (9 in total!).

A few of the rocks comes close to being in the way of pathing, although I could probably be creative with them. However the amount of rocks do tend to irk me a little. I know the chances of getting a similar map is slim so I'm uncertain if it's wise to reset in hopes of getting a better map. Any thoughts on this?

Just lost 3 years of progress on this game due to the Welcome Amiibo update about 10min ago trying to switch characters to lay out paths.

Is it even worth attempting to save it from the "error message: an error has occurred" issue?
Can I even sell it with such a issue in the game to try and fund rebuilding the town again?
Should I restart that one or just go to my side town I've barely touched and kind of "ignore" the fact I lost the other town?

I'm really upset and angry because I was finally getting some where with it after this update somewhat destroyed my town to begin with.

Edit: I'm deciding to reset, the game is still able to sell the town and I'd rather be able to remake it than wait out for a fix that may never happen for this "error".

Last edited:
Thinking about resetting my 2nd town... There was a TT accident, and now my town's a disgusting mess of weeds and I lost one my favorite villagers. It sucks because I was cleaning up my town a lot last night, and now, it's like I didn't even do anything... Plus, the loss of that villager really demotivated me. I've made quite a bit of progress within the 4 months I've had this town, but I really don't care anymore. I don't want to waste my time trying to fix everything. At the same time though, I really loved this town, but this whole incident has demotivated me to the point where I just don't want to look at it anymore. So what do you guys think? Should I just restart or should I give this town a second chance?

I'm new to the forum, but I've played animal crossing for years. I just actually opened up new leaf though, and I'm surprised just how annoying setting up your desired town is. I think I prefer the old games in this way. There are so many new variables, the chances of getting what you'd like are low, which is disheartening, especially if you're stubborn like me. I do understand what the devs were going for though, diversity. yet. *sigh* I'm pretty OCD about how my town layout is and have found myself settling, only to reset a week later because it was nagging at me and, in turn, my motivation plummets. (I know this isn't the case for most, but it is for me).

I think it would be nice, at the beginning, in the train, if Rover asked, (after telling him the name of your town) "What is (townname) like?" and then on the map your could drag around the buildings and the layout how you'd like with the stylus within some limits, or something of this nature, or at least but able to keep randomizing past four attempts.

Also, why not keep the "default" gray style train station and townhall at the beginning, and allow the player to "paint" it through tom nook later? It would be useful for certain themes. That blue train station is sooo.... awful. No offense to anyone who likes it, its just not my cup of tea. This random variable just makes me really frustrated.
:(

^This whole post x1,000 I can never settle on a town either and it's been bothering the living daylights out of me ever since I bought the game almost 10 months ago. I STILL can't find a town.

I've been a lot more lenient when it comes to my map. Rocks and fruit no longer matter. Now if only the game can stop giving me the yellow town hall..

@invisible again, personally I would reset. Losing favorite villagers is terrible(no one needs to go through that lousy 16 villager cycle. It's super annoying.) and losing all your progress in mere minutes is very discouraging. And if it's gotten to the point where you don't even want to look at it anymore, then save yourself the trouble and reset. I wouldn't hesitate to sell the town to Tom Nook if the option is available.

Last edited:
Hi all, just needed a little input on this! I received my Japanese copy of the game and spent the whole day searching for a suitable town map. I finally got one that I was extremely satisfied with but the only issue is that it has tons of rocks (9 in total!).

A few of the rocks comes close to being in the way of pathing, although I could probably be creative with them. However the amount of rocks do tend to irk me a little. I know the chances of getting a similar map is slim so I'm uncertain if it's wise to reset in hopes of getting a better map. Any thoughts on this?

I'm kinda ok with rocks now since you can at least sit on them.. I try and just work around them. If your town is fairly new and it bothers you a lot, I'd say just reset rather than get stuck with a bad map.

I'm going to reset my first ever town :'( I've had it for 3 years... but I want to start the 1 year challenge on Jan 1 and I already mucked up that town greatly by destroying all my pwps and getting rid of all my paths. It just looks like a huge mess and I can't even imagine trying to fix this lol (plus unmotivated). I reset my 2nd town a couple months ago, and I actually really enjoyed starting a new town... so I'm okay with this thought now :'D The only villager I'll definitely have to get back is dizzy though lol.

I'm kinda ok with rocks now since you can at least sit on them.. I try and just work around them. If your town is fairly new and it bothers you a lot, I'd say just reset rather than get stuck with a bad map.

I'm going to reset my first ever town :'( I've had it for 3 years... but I want to start the 1 year challenge on Jan 1 and I already mucked up that town greatly by destroying all my pwps and getting rid of all my paths. It just looks like a huge mess and I can't even imagine trying to fix this lol (plus unmotivated). I reset my 2nd town a couple months ago, and I actually really enjoyed starting a new town... so I'm okay with this thought now :'D The only villager I'll definitely have to get back is dizzy though lol.

if I'm hoping to sell my town to Nook, can I still do the whole map resetting thing to choose a map? are you basically stuck with the first four maps rover provides you after you've sold your town? or does the selling town dialogue come back up after you reset? sorry if this question has been answered before :'D

if I'm hoping to sell my town to Nook, can I still do the whole map resetting thing to choose a map? are you basically stuck with the first four maps rover provides you after you've sold your town? or does the selling town dialogue come back up after you reset? sorry if this question has been answered before :'D
You can! Everything you need to know is in this post over on reddit.

Hello everyone. I came here looking for some advice.

I have had my town and my game for around 3 years and have had the same town since then. However, stuff got out of hand and it's just incredibly messy. I've got no public projects, villager placement is horrible, the town map is even worse and since I have my storage full there's just a lot of stuff everywhere in town. I've tried to organize it more but I just can't find a way to make it look like I want to.

I tried to reset in the past, before going on a year long hiatus from the game. I can back wanting to play and get my town ready, only to see the reason I left in the first place: I just can't find a way to make it work.

The thing that's holding me back is that I have many villagers that are my dreamies and I don't want to let go. They are: Marshal, Merengue, Tia, Fuchsia, Olivia and Marina. I have Stitches as well but I have his amiibo card so I am not worried. The rest I don't have their cards. I also have so much stuff I want to save, and would need to find someone who can hoard it for me while I restart... And there is no one near me who plays this game, so it has to be someone online.

Here's my dream address if anyone wants to take a look at it: 5F00-0024-04DD. Any kind of input if whether or not I should reset it or if there's anything I can do to fix it is greatly appreciated.

I am desperate at this point 🙁 I just want to have my dream Zen forest town.

Edit: I had thought about asking someone to lend me their 3DS and buy another copy of the game, but honestly I don't have money to spare at the moment and having to copies of the same seems kind of a waste for me. What can I do!?

So... I decided not to reset my town in the end. I just needed some time to cool down, though I'm still pretty upset over losing that villager. I just can't make myself get rid of all this progress and effort over one villager. :/

I have had my town and my game for around 3 years and have had the same town since then. However, stuff got out of hand and it's just incredibly messy. I've got no public projects, villager placement is horrible, the town map is even worse and since I have my storage full there's just a lot of stuff everywhere in town. I've tried to organize it more but I just can't find a way to make it look like I want to.

I tried to reset in the past, before going on a year long hiatus from the game. I can back wanting to play and get my town ready, only to see the reason I left in the first place: I just can't find a way to make it work.

The thing that's holding me back is that I have many villagers that are my dreamies and I don't want to let go. They are: Marshal, Merengue, Tia, Fuchsia, Olivia and Marina. I have Stitches as well but I have his amiibo card so I am not worried. The rest I don't have their cards. I also have so much stuff I want to save, and would need to find someone who can hoard it for me while I restart... And there is no one near me who plays this game, so it has to be someone online.

Here's my dream address if anyone wants to take a look at it: 5F00-0024-04DD. Any kind of input if whether or not I should reset it or if there's anything I can do to fix it is greatly appreciated.

I am desperate at this point �� I just want to have my dream Zen forest town.

Edit: I had thought about asking someone to lend me their 3DS and buy another copy of the game, but honestly I don't have money to spare at the moment and having to copies of the same seems kind of a waste for me. What can I do!?
If you're not happy with your town, and there's no way to change your town so you can be happy with it, I say go ahead and restart.

Last edited:

I am desperate at this point �� I just want to have my dream Zen forest town.

that's such a tough situation. i've had my map from the start and have had some Moments of Doubt with it as well. totally reasonable. you couldn't have known.

i would say however, it's probably not going to improve if this is how you are constantly feeling. resetting would be a fresh start with none of the pent up frustration and regret. i would advise giving your essential items to someone trustworthy, for safekeeping (but generally, part of the fun for most people resetting i think, is the challenge of building everything up again, including catalogue).

as for the villagers, it's probably the best time ever to reset wrt that? amiibo cards make retrieving them easier than ever and a lot of people with full sets are even giving them away for free, it just might take a bit of time. definitely don't let that stop you from being happy with the game. it's supposed to be fun!

I am desperate at this point 🙁 I just want to have my dream Zen forest town.

alright so the best thing to do in this situation is break yr problems down into three major projects.

1. LANDSCAPING
  2. CLEANLINESS
  3. URBAN PLANNING (PTS. 1/2)

URBAN PLANNING (PART 1)
  • before you start fiddling around with anything, it's time to PLAN. ignoring completely the current placements of movable buildings, focus on yr ideal plan for where both PWP and villager homes might go. be flexible. if you think the map and landmark (river, beaches, rocks, town plaza, etc.) placements are salvageable, put in the work. if they aren't salvageable, now you gotta figure out how to transfer over most of yr ***** to a new town (not ideal) or nuke from orbit and start again. i would suggest the latter if you're feeling things aren't salvageable.

LANDSCAPING
  • first things first, you gotta prep for a revamp of yr entire town, which means making your town as close to a bare canvas as possible without completely decimating your ecosystem
  • to assist with getting your town's landscaping in check, i would HIGHLY suggest making a secondary character that exists solely as a place to store fruits and flowers if you have the space in your town. don't bother upgrading anything, just stick the plot as close as you can to the train station to make trips shorter between yr storage locker. minimize the number of trees the plot knocks down when you place it
  • go through your village and gather ALL the fruit from ALL the trees one by one. stack em, then stuff em in yr storage locker.
  • go through your village and gather ALL the flowers you can. stuff em in your storage locker.
  • WEED EVERYTHING
  • take a break when you're done!

CLEANLINESS
  • now that you've got all your landscaping needs "backed up", you can start organizing your items
  • i would HIGHLY recommend at this point making as many secondary characters as you can to give you additional storage locker space without needing to purchase the secret storage for your main character's home. it also gives you a convenient way to organize items by type, style, theme, value, rarity, etc.
  • go through your town and organize yr stuff outside. don't worry about the stuff in yr main characters locker yet, just focus on getting the litter taken care of so you can start to improve your town rating.
  • USE A SYSTEM! it doesn't matter what the system is or how you organize things, just do it sensibly to you. it's your stuff.
  • keep anything that isn't reorderable through the catalog in the shop
  • keep anything that you want to use in your home as soon as your items are organized. anything that is orderable via catalog and not a priority for your immediate interior design needs, sell it. you can always buy it back through the catalog later.
  • take a breather when you're done, this ***** is tedious work!

URBAN PLANNING (PART 1)
  • now that you have the two more pressing concerns out of the way, you can focus on the parts of the game that are actually kind of enjoyable: building public works projects and your villagers.
  • if there are any villagers that you absolutely cannot live without, yet hate their home placement, you gotta realize that something's gotta give. you might have luck partnering up with someone on TBT forums and having them shuffle villagers back and forth between your village and their village (initiated by amiibo cards to force out villagers). that would require a lot of legwork of at least two people, though, and you might be better off just getting your dreamies again through the forum via giveaways/trades/paying for them. that's your call, though
  • if it were me, and i were dead set on getting my dreamies that i have now in the perfect positions, i would likely either get my town to 100% approval rating, get the ability to set ordinances, set the Keep Town Beautiful ordinance, then cycle 3-6mos forward in time with every leap for 6-12 leaps to have my villagers cycled out and have the 16 villager cycle requirement met AND get some villagers that others might want to trade for. or i'd just start buying their amiibo cards and go from there.

I just restarted my town.

I've had the same town for years. After a long hiatus.. Like years.. I had lost all the villagers I liked. Walt and Lobo in particular.. Even my stalker, Mott, moved away.

I coukd never get Peck to move away and I hated him for replacing Lobo.

Long story short, I hated my town and wanted a fresh start.

If you've had your town for a long while, Tom Nook makes it worth your while. He'll BUY your town and transfer the funds to your new town. I started my new town with 14 MILLION BELLS!!

I started my new town, like the new layout, and even have Wolfgang as one of my new Villagers. So far I'm glad to have restarted.

Last edited:
I just restarted my town.

I've had the same town for years. After a long hiatus.. Like years.. I had lost all the villagers I liked. Walt and Lobo in particular.. Even my stalker, Mott, moved away.

I coukd never get Peck to move away and I hated him for replacing Lobo.

Long story short, I hated my town and wanted a fresh start.

If you've had your town for a long while, Tom Nook makes it worth your while. He'll BUY your town and transfer the funds to your new town. I started my new town with 14 MILLION BELLS!!

I started my new town, like the new layout, and even have Wolfgang as one of my new Villagers. So far I'm glad to have restarted.
The town selling feature is pretty cool! What are you going to do with all those bells? It should be enough to fully upgrade your house and build some PWPs right off the bat.

The town selling feature is pretty cool! What are you going to do with all those bells? It should be enough to fully upgrade your house and build some PWPs right off the bat.

That's actually my exact plan. I borrowed my husband's 3DS and his copy of AC:NL so I could raid his town for fruit.

I've got the perfect little river side, ocean veiw plot for my house and the layout of the town is perfect for the "grove" of fruit trees I planted as there's not enough room for housing there.

All in all the new place is great.

Hey!
Currently...I don't know what to do.
While my town is nice and all, I just don't like it...
Villagers I feel I should mix again. Mostly because of how I had them before and how they were enjoyable.
The Villagers in my sig other than Phoebe, Stitches, Marshal,Molly,and Bruce aren't the same as the ones before.
Should I do it?
Also, I feel I have a crappy town map...

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also, I don't want to lose my items or hybrids.
If I do, then I'd probably pay 100TBT for someone who is willing to keep all my crap in their town.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Resetting. :)
Find my threads that involve holding! :eek:

Last edited:
Back