• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Club Tortimer - What was your experience?

I just went to the Club Tortimer Island for the first time and met a really nice guy from Japan. His english was pretty good and he even knew some german words and phrases! We only did one tour because I didn't have much time, but we exchanged friend codes.
It was fun! I never met someone online before since I have this terrible error code problem where I wait and wait and wait for the train... :< So this was really... refreshing.

Helpful hint if you're on the international island: Emotions work wonders.

I totally agree!

I've tried Club Tortimer a few times, both to play with others on tours, and also just to do bug-hunting without having to destroy my own island (cutting trees). I've mostly had good experiences, usually when playing on the international island, but also on the same region one. Actually, my very first time playing, I was paired up with a player from Japan. Luckily, I've studied Japanese in school and lived over there for a few years, so I know enough conversational Japanese to play. But it's hard to communicate because I can't use the Japanese keyboard in the English version of the game. But we were able to talk and go on some tours together and added each other as friends. ^^

But I've had a few bad experiences, too. Usually, people will enter into some kind of dialogue whenever I'm trying to leave the island to return home, so I can't leave. And I've had someone disconnect their wifi as I was on my way to drop off bugs in the box, and Resetti returned me to my town emptyhanded. :(

I will on occasion go to the Club Tortimer Island just to see what they have in stock since it is always different than my island. When I did stick around I've had a range of experiences.Most people are nice and will go on a tour with you. One guy was cool and we played the Giant Dragonfly Tour for at least an hour. That was fun and I got a ton of medals as well. :)

Then you get the others. I had one that as soon as I got on the island asked me for money. That and my outfit (which was a qr code lol). He would run around the island and scare the bugs and tried to scare the fish away. He then spoke to the tour lady and kept tying her up so I couldn't leave. He didn't even want to do a tour or anything. I'm just glad that when you flip the wifi switch you go home. :mad:

I ran into another homosexual (or so she said) and SHE was flirting with me..... im a guy....

I love Club Tortimer! It's a great way to meet new people plus make money on the side. The only downside is going bug catching and losing a bug because someone walked past the tree. XD Everything else is great!

I don't usually talk much when I meet someone with Club Tortimer because I think it's a pain to type on the DS. When I take too long to type it gets pretty awkward. :p but first time I met a really friendly girl from Japan, did some tours with her and left. Then I tried North America only and there was a boy cutting all the trees...he said nothing and disconnected.

The first time I went to Club Tortimer, I chose to meet people world wide instead of just international cause I thought it would be fun!

I was the only one there for a while then someone showed up and they were from the same state in the U.S. that I'm from. We said hello, then they left.

Then, someone from a different U.S. state showed up. They said hello and not much else then joined a tour and never came back.

Then the third person to show up was from the same state as me AGAIN, and they told me they were 37 years old and right as I was trying to leave, they asked of I had a Facebook account.

So, I'm not sure I want to go back just yet. I also didn't consider the huge international time change we have, so I'll try later on in the day.

90% of the international people Ive met were Japanese. Also, I wonder why they go international if the great majority is unable to speak "proper" english (?)

Except that its quite enjoyable most of the time.

Last edited:
Sadly, everytime I've went the people ignore me and just walk around and if I ask to play games they never sit down lol.

It was definitely funnier around launch time.

Only went once, sort of had a similar experience, but I didn't really stay for as long.

When I arrived, there was a girl from Barcelona there. We did a few tours to earn some medals, and after a while she left. There was also someone who came and left right away.

Then some guy from Japan showed up. I think I asked him if he spoke English, but he didn't reply. Then another Japanese person showed up, and they started speaking Japanese. Was sort of awkward for me, since I couldn't join in, so I left.

Not really sure if I want to go again. I'm not really good with other people, especially strangers.

Meh my experience was OK but nothing special, I'd rather go the island with my 3DS friends any day over complete randomers.

Most of the folks I've come across have been OK. Usually starting the conversation with a hello or an invite to tour helps. Having the other player get first pick for the tour goes a long way too.

The Japanese players I met all seem to understand smiley faces and question marks, and the German girl I visited with today was really cool about my very rusty elementary German.

If I'm just shopping for hibiscus, I let the other person know but tell them I have time for a tour or two if they'd like.

It will all be a lot easier, though, when Shrunk gives me a few more emotions. So far I only have sad, angry and grumpy type ones!

I had a lot of fun my first few times, met lots of Japanese people and we talked in Romaji and Emotion-speak... Lol then some dude asked for my friend code in katakana (which I could read) then I gave it to him......

AND HE DROPPED 2 MILLION BELLS ON THE FLOOR.

Ermahgerd. Best. Dude. Ever.

I've only been a few times one night at like 3 am, the people I've been with were all really quiet and all they did was fill up their pockets and then leave. Some of them didn't even say hi ;-;

I just had a great Club Tortimer experience with a Japanese player. We completely kicked butt in the Elite Bug-Hunting tour and she was just really nice and easy going. We did a few tours, we swapped FCs and now I'm up past my bedtime. :3

Club Tortimer's a Hit and Miss, but Mostly a Miss

I've really tried to like Club Tortimer. I really have. But 9 times out of 10, I end up having a terrible experience. Those 9 times out of 10 include things like trees getting chopped down while I'm trying to make extra Bells catching bugs, people constantly asking how old I am, and getting intentionally disconnected from the server.

It's bad enough I'm playing the game during the winter, when beetles are virtually nowhere to be found in my town. To make it worse, you'll get this one player who decides it's a good idea to start chopping down every single tree on the island. I end up wasting the ship fee and just end up relocating to my personal Tortimer Island. The person doesn't bother saying "Hey!" or "How are you?"; s/he just starts chopping down trees and ticking a lot of people off in the process.

Secondly, I don't understand why people on these servers are so obsessed with finding out how old I am. If I tell them my age, I get disconnected instantly. If I tell them I'm "old enough," I get disconnected almost instantly. If I ignore them, I get disconnected. It seems like that question is an intentional d/c waiting to happen, regardless of how you choose to address it.

Of course, the biggest problem of these is getting booted from the server. If I've been hunting around for beetles or happen to have a souvenir in my inventory while trying to sort out everything else in my take-home box, I instantly lose all of that, just because the other person on the server wants to be a jerk and disconnect intentionally, causing me to lose any and all items I didn't have immediately stored in my item box. I can't tell you how many items, how many Bells' worth of beetles, or how much time I've lost due to people pulling mess like that. Of course, the items I'm purchasing with hard-earned Medals are for catalog completion anyway, but it would be nice to not have to deal with that on a daily basis. Today, I had to say "goodbye" to a whirlpool bath (which costs 70 Medals, by the way) when a new person arrived, said "hiiiiiiiiiii :D", and immediately disconnected while I was trying to sort out my items and the pricey beetles I had caught. All of that work over a 90-minute time-span? Gone in 5 seconds. Needless to say, it's an atrocious system filled with malicious users. The worst part about it, though? Once you've been disconnected, there's no way to blacklist the person, so you could easily wind up in the same situation with that person in the future, though the probability is extremely low.

I've stopped going altogether, unless I absolutely need a particular furniture item, in which case, I just farm the Medals normally on my private island (usually 100 Medals at a time), travel to Club Tortimer, purchase the new items, and leave immediately.

However, that one time out of 10 keeps me coming back to the island due to some infinitesimal hope that I'll get to meet a person who's actually looking to chat about something meaningful. Out of all the times I've been to Club Tortimer (which I'd estimate at about 80 times so far since I purchased the game), I've only gotten that twice (now that I think about it, it's not even a 10% positive rate; it's only at 2.5%). One was a girl from Japan who ended up talking about how much she wanted to visit America, while the other was a boy who was fascinated with my Link costume and talked about Legend of Zelda together for a few hours. That's the experience I hope for every time I connect, but there's always going to be someone out there who wants to make the experience for other players as miserable as they can, just to get a quick "ha ha" and move on with their game without any consequence.

I'm sure Nintendo expected players to be a little more, well, player-friendly, but they certainly didn't take into account all the nasty ones that lurk in the gaming world, especially those who lurk in something as innocent as Animal Crossing.

I didn't have CT at the moment, but if I have someday, I'd rather run to stacyadams. :p

I've had a lot of good and bad experiences. Hmm... What was the worst? Oh, yeah... there was this one person I actually added to the block list. (He's the only person I've ever put there) So, what did he do? He was annoying, he chopped down trees without asking, and would open up his inventory or something when someone would try to leave, making them unable to leave. I finally ditched him on a tour. The other two people there sat before he did, so then I sat so everyone except him went on the tour.
My best experience would be with the girl that the guy I mentioned above wouldn't let leave. I had a very interesting and fun conversation with her. It was actually a roleplay. I pretended to be Kirby and she pretended to be Benedict Cumberbatch. That will probably be the only time I ever get to have a roleplay on Club Tortimer.

Back