• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

BotW: WiiU or Switch?

Nightstar

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
May Birthstone (Emerald)
Ruby
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Green Candy
So I'm getting a WiiU (secondhand from a friend) and I'm just wondering: Is there any noticeable difference between Breath of the Wild on the WiiU versus the Switch? From videos I've seen the graphics are pretty much on par.

I think there may be some lag issues on the Wii U version, but that's just based on what I've heard/read from other people.

Other than that, pretty sure there's not a noticeable difference.

The Wii U version lags when you access the Home menu during gameplay and return back to the game. I haven't tried the Switch version yet.

Last edited:
Inb4 Cress turns up and says neither cause he has some unreasonable grudge against the game

i only got a tiny bit of lag with my save file on wii u when i had, like, a Billion things. i never had any problem with lag before i finished all the quests and all that and collected a ton of items and food. i haven't played it on the switch but in my experience the lag on wii u isn't bad.

You can't go wrong with either version. My brother has the Wii U version and has only experienced some minor lag at a few occasions.

I haven't tried the WiiU version but the Switch version is fantastic. No complaints here.

From what I've seen, there isn't any significant difference between those two versions so, it pretty much boils down to this:

Do you want to be stuck playing in the same room as your Wii U without spending much money, or would you rather be able to play this game both at home and on the go?

As someone who has the Wii U version, there really isnt much of a difference. Content is the same, just a few framedrops every now and then which are barely noticeable. If you dont plan on getting a Switch for a while then its a worthy investment, especially with the dlc around the corner.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, everyone :D I always game at home so the portability isn't an issue. It'll probably be a few years until I buy a Switch (I always take a long time with nintendo consoles for some reason) so it's good to know I don't have to miss out on BotW anymore <3

Thanks for the input, everyone :D I always game at home so the portability isn't an issue. It'll probably be a few years until I buy a Switch (I always take a long time with nintendo consoles for some reason) so it's good to know I don't have to miss out on BotW anymore <3

I got it on Wii U because I could not wait for the Switch, and honestly, it works just fine. Every experience with the Wii U version was a good one. Believe me, you'll enjoy it ;)

I have the WiiU version and it really only lags when I am fighting a group of Moblins. Which is scary because they are dangerous to fight and I am stuck staring at them wondering when they are going to move again. It has only happened a couple of times though.

Depends. If you have a Switch, definitely go Switch. If you don't, Wii U is fine. Sure, there's a couple frame drops here and there, but nothing to obstructive. I have it on Wii U because I don't have that cash money, and I'm enjoying it perfectly fine.

EDIT:
Just realized you already made a decision. Oof

Last edited:
Back