• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

New iPhone X is $1000.. discuss?

i don't think it's a horrific price
but no one in the right mind would buy a phone that much, it could get lost, stolen, broken beyond repair etc
people will only buy it because it looks shiny, new and it costs a lot

waste of money tbh if you have a phone and it works then why spend $1000 on a new phone

waste of money tbh if you have a phone and it works then why spend $1000 on a new phone

yeah idk, my SE cost $500 with half a year insurance so yeah why pay the double for some dumb airpods and face recognition lol

Hell nah!!!!
I've got a Samsung galaxy A3, and its amazing!!!
I'll only be getting the iPhone 6 or 7
Or iPad
Oh well

Smartphones are already more than expensive, all of them. I never bought an Apple phone and never will.

I read an article that says having an iPhone X is really more about status symbol and that's so true. Nothing better to show off than casually carrying a $1000 phone around.

You can get a phone with similar features for less, but knowing people, this phone is going to be sold out for like 2 months straight.

I read an article that says having an iPhone X is really more about status symbol and that's so true. Nothing better to show off than casually carrying a $1000 phone around.

You can get a phone with similar features for less, but knowing people, this phone is going to be sold out for like 2 months straight.

It's true.. and it's consistent with their other products like their macbooks. You're definitely paying for their brand.

I have a macbook pro that I think is the 2012 model that I bought for design school a couple years ago. But my friends with slightly older models of the mac say when they have a problem with their computer the "genius" bar can't even work on it for them because it's outdated technology, and the chargers for it are no longer made for them either.

THAT is the thing that bugs me about apple the most - is that they're rich as heck yet their products have a really short warranty, not very durable, and they are constantly voiding older models to get you to buy their new expensive ones. If $1000 isn't enough, you're gonna have to spend another $100 for wireless headphones to use a feature that the old iphones had lol. I just don't appreciate that in terms of how they brand themselves. It just feels very cold and exclusive to me.

Last edited:
^Yeah that is really annoying that you can't use like, older charger (I mean I get those like 4/4s chargers are outdated but others...lol) and not regular earphones etc. They could very well lower their prices, smh.

I for sure won't get this new one X if I ever get a new one that's for sure.

my macbook cost less than that and i still almost cried in concern for my parents financial wellbeing when i received that
i'll stick to my 5s thanks

To be fair, if you don't the design/price you can get the iPhone 8. I personally think it looks better. @_@

Plus all I do on my phone is play mobile games and browse the web lmao. There are legit some people that always have to buy the 'best' model, such as those that want an iPhone 7+ 128GB because its the most expensive but realize it's too impractical for their means and eventually downsize to something smaller lol.

thats literally more expensive than my gaming laptop...wtf
ill stick with my 5s until it breaks or becomes unusable

To be fair, if you don't the design/price you can get the iPhone 8. I personally think it looks better. @_@

Plus all I do on my phone is play mobile games and browse the web lmao. There are legit some people that always have to buy the 'best' model, such as those that want an iPhone 7+ 128GB because its the most expensive but realize it's too impractical for their means and eventually downsize to something smaller lol.

Yeah, I mean sure if I can't play my games on my phone without paying for a $1000 phone in the future, yeah then I will most likely ditch stuff and have a cheaper phone than can last my basic needs, yes.

"android is better!111!" " android is cheaper !!111!" the prices are literally almost identical lol anyway

i'm getting one because i like technology and i like iphones and this is up my alley. spending money on products that i get enjoyment out of is not insane.

"android is better!111!" " android is cheaper !!111!" the prices are literally almost identical lol anyway

i'm getting one because i like technology and i like iphones and this is up my alley. spending money on products that i get enjoyment out of is not insane.

Yeah it just comes down to what you prioritize in a phone. And based on people's priorities, spending a lot on a phone may be unreasonable to some while not to others. Whether its the design, the camera, messaging features, etc. At least there are a lot of options out there now. I think I'm just perplexed at how the prices of phones are climbing so quickly. :s I don't know much about the market so..

Well if you want to and think Apple has fair prices, like their stuff... I mean go ahead and spend money it's not like I can stop you.

Well if you want to and think Apple has fair prices, like their stuff... I mean go ahead and spend money it's not like I can stop you.

Well I feel like everyone has things they like to spend money on because they value it and there's no shame in that. Just as an example, some people buy collectible shoes that they never wear, some people spend money on collectible figures.. I spend hundreds of dollars every year on kpop merch and concerts cause that's just what makes me happy in life right now lol. It's not a "smart" way to spend money but to me it's worth it. Same can go for really cool phones I think.

i mean i'm not saying that the pricing isn't ridiculous, but it's not really a poorly priced product either. phones have been rather expensive for quite some time, the 6/6s/7 plus phones are all near $900 if you get more than the base storage option. i'm not knocking android phones because i enjoy a lot of them as well, but insinuating that android phones are cheaper is a bit of a stretch considering the note 8 is priced the same, as are several other flagship devices. singling out the iphone x as an expensive device doesn't make much sense when there are plenty of devices that have been around long before this that cost just as much if not more.

Well I feel like everyone has things they like to spend money on because they value it and there's no shame in that. Just as an example, some people buy collectible shoes that they never wear, some people spend money on collectible figures.. I spend hundreds of dollars every year on kpop merch and concerts cause that's just what makes me happy in life right now lol. It's not a "smart" way to spend money but to me it's worth it. Same can go for really cool phones I think.

It was directed towards Soigne, lol. But yeah myself couldn't justify that much on a phone only since it's kind of limited still. On a good gaming laptop that will last me years if I treat it well? Sure, no problem would I ever need it.

And since Apple are obvious capitalists that overprice their things drastically just because the Apple brand is known and limited to few products, yes people will buy it because "status".

And yeah I have things I 'waste' money on such as certain clothes, music, books etc. but I don't really go bribe with it :p

- - - Post Merge - - -

i mean i'm not saying that the pricing isn't ridiculous, but it's not really a poorly priced product either. phones have been rather expensive for quite some time, the 6/6s/7 plus phones are all near $900 if you get more than the base storage option. i'm not knocking android phones because i enjoy a lot of them as well, but insinuating that android phones are cheaper is a bit of a stretch considering the note 8 is priced the same, as are several other flagship devices. singling out the iphone x as an expensive device doesn't make much sense when there are plenty of devices that have been around long before this that cost just as much if not more.

Yeah I don't know how "overpriced" Android phones are nowadays and if their OS wasn't so awkward/ugly/annoying to navigate etc. I'd totally get one of those. I'd rather spend as little on phones as possible really, but having iPhones for some time now they kinda grew and I got an SE because it's a good size and even though a bit overpriced still I have one knowing I might sound hypocrite as heck here.

What idiot buys a phone for $1000

Back