• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Understanding Villager Migration

shanyo

Bells
I'd like to understand how villagers move around.

My son (who is just learning to read) accidently time-travelled to the year 2039. When I set the time back in his game, Portia was gone from our town. No big deal.

But a day later on my daughter's 3DS, a plot has been reserved for Portia moving in.

These two connect to each other's towns using the 'nearby' option all the time, so I'm wondering if this villager migration is connected. Will this instance of Portia retain any knowledge of my son's villager, or is this just a coiincidence?

I see a lot of talk about people trading villagers, and other villagers getting sent to the void and don't understand what any really means.

I'd bet a lot of bells thatthe Portia that's moving to your daughter's town is the same Portia that left your son's town. And yes, she'll remember where she came from, what the native fruit was, mayor's name, town tune, lots of stuff. And she'll have the same furniture she left with, not her default furniture, as well as the greeting and catchphrase your son gave her (if he did). It's a neat touch.

I'd bet a lot of bells that the Portia that's moving to your daughter's town is the same Portia that left your son's town. And yes, she'll remember where she came from, what the native fruit was, mayor's name, town tune, lots of stuff. And she'll have the same furniture she left with, not her default furniture, as well as the greeting and catchphrase your son gave her (if he did). It's a neat touch.

Adding onto this villager trading is normally when the villager's possessions are in boxes and (s)he's preparing to move someone from another town can invite them over (Normally for furniture, bells or another villager in total) There's a sub-forum dedicated to it if you want to ask around some more. http://www.belltreeforums.com/forumdisplay.php?85-Villager-Trading-Plaza-(Beta)

That's what I'm hoping for as well. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Just wanted to understand what;s happening behind the scenes.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Adding onto this villager trading is normally when the villager's possessions are in boxes and (s)he's preparing to move someone from another town can invite them over (Normally for furniture, bells or another villager in total) There's a sub-forum dedicated to it if you want to ask around some more. http://www.belltreeforums.com/forumdisplay.php?85-Villager-Trading-Plaza-(Beta)

Interesting. So once a villager has packed up, someone from another town can come by and persuade them to move to his/her town?

Interesting. So once a villager has packed up, someone from another town can come by and persuade them to move to his/her town?

Precisely! Villagers can also appear on the highstreet if more than 4 have moved out, however I get the feeling its quicker to persuade said villager than wait. It can take around a month if not more after 4 villagers have moved out.

I know one rule where if you time travel, a disadvantage is that villagers may move out.

As I read on the Animal Crossing Wiki, any one town can have a maximum of 10 villagers. Once there are 9 villagers in the town the last villager will ALWAYS move in from a town that you have visited previously.

So because your son and daughter have connected by visiting each other, your daughter got Portia from your son. (If a villager moves out from your son's town and your daughter has 9 villagers, that person moving out will probably migrate to her town.)

- I hope that helps ^_^

So during the last shared session, my son's DS must have told my daughter's DS "we're done with Portia now -- she's all yours. Here's all her state information (furniture, friendship levels etc)".

Love it. Brilliant.

I am pretty sure it is the same Portia.

I had Soleil move in, and she kept mentioning this town called Herupia, I think that's what it is, and singing that town's tune, and then about a week later, one of the model homes in my HHA place, was from Herupia, and when I left that house, I could hear that same town tune!

I wish I had someone local that was also playing!

So during the last shared session, my son's DS must have told my daughter's DS "we're done with Portia now -- she's all yours. Here's all her state information (furniture, friendship levels etc)".

Love it. Brilliant.
Yeah. The villagers randomly migrate like this either when you visit each other's towns after a villager has recently moved out, or you streetpass a town with a villager who's just moved out (as you're playing in the same house, I assume you're streetpassing almost constantly :p)

My son got Beardo the day after he moved out of my town. He had not WiFi'd with me the day he was moving at all, but he still made it to my son's town. My son is on my best friend list and he had the opening, so I don't know if that is a factor or not. It is most definitely my Beardo, though, because he is wearing the same outfit he left my town in (he is still in boxes today in his new town).

My son got Beardo the day after he moved out of my town. He had not WiFi'd with me the day he was moving at all, but he still made it to my son's town. My son is on my best friend list and he had the opening, so I don't know if that is a factor or not. It is most definitely my Beardo, though, because he is wearing the same outfit he left my town in (he is still in boxes today in his new town).

Even if it wasn't wifi, you still got him form streetpass most likely... that or does the game 'remember' the last town's you wified with and takes moving villagers from them? :/

What happened is that your son's and your daughter's 3DS are constantly exchanging information through Street Pass

Back