• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Tips on getting your villager's picture

keybug55

Untitled Goose Villager
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
3543-1815-3219
Blue Hybrid Pansy
Pavé
May Birthstone (Emerald)
Easter Egg
Togepi Easter Egg
Red Candy
Dusty Scroll
Ancient Lantern
Yellow Candy
Pokéball
I've been experimenting with villagers, and I think I know a way on getting your villager's picture

Step 1: Make sure you're good friends with them: There is a "Friendship Ladder" that you must climb in order to be best friends with them. The order goes as follows:

^tier 7: Villager is ready to give you a picture/pings you to move away.
|tier 6: Villager sends you letters.
|tier 5: Pings you for a new nickname.
|tier 4: Gives you items from their pockets. "Oh I've gone to the store and I found something" "I've got some extra item" "Do you wanna buy this item?".
| tier 3: Starts to Ping you for new catchphrases or greetings
| tier 2: More friendly conversations.
| tier 1: When you first introduce yourself to the villager.

You will move up this ladder as you do them favors. Make sure you know what items they have in their pocket when they ask you to buy something from them, just keep this noted.

Step 2: Do them the favor After they send you letters (responses to your letters DON'T COUNT, they have to send you letters first) The next favor they ask you will be the picture favor, it can be any favor. The favors they can ask you on the highest tier is when they ask you for a rare fish/bug or signatures from another town, although they don't have to be these favors (the last favor I did was to get them an item for their house before they gave me their picture)

Step 3: The reset method When you got the item for the favor, save and continue BEFORE you give them the item. If the villager gives you an item that's not in their pocket, this is the way to get the picture. These items can be fairly rare. Another way to tell is that on getting the item, the villager will tell you what the item is AFTER giving it to you (not confirmed for all personalities). If they give you a non-picture item, go to your 3DS home menu and close without saving. Rinse and repeat until they give you their picture.

I hope this helps you, please tell me your feedback.

Last edited:
Thank you for the nice tutorial! c: If it's right, I'm waiting for ma pictures now. XD

I got a picture from a villager that I like the least. They've all been asking for me to change my name but I don't want to. I've already done that several times and it didn't help. They ask for furniture, I give them something, they don't like it. I have also done the signature thing, hunt for bugs/fish for them, pick fruit when it's right in front of them. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I only have one picture, from Monique. She gave it to me after she was ill and I gave her medicine. No-one else has given me a picture yet, despite my best endeavours.

I got a picture from a villager that I like the least. They've all been asking for me to change my name but I don't want to. I've already done that several times and it didn't help. They ask for furniture, I give them something, they don't like it. I have also done the signature thing, hunt for bugs/fish for them, pick fruit when it's right in front of them. What the heck am I doing wrong?

When they ask you for furniture, they're mainly asking for certain sizes. Especially when they say they need to replace something, it has to be something of that same size.

Remember to do the reset method when they ask you the signature or bug/fish favors.

Last edited:
I am clueless as to how you know what is in their pockets. This is probably very elementary but please explain? You stated:
"Make sure you know what items they have in their pocket when they ask you to buy something from them"

I've never known how to do that or that it could be done.

I am clueless as to how you know what is in their pockets. This is probably very elementary but please explain? You stated:
"Make sure you know what items they have in their pocket when they ask you to buy something from them"

I've never known how to do that or that it could be done.

When the villager asks you to buy their items, it's always going to be the same thing. Like when they tell you "Do you want this Stair Dresser" and you decline, they're probably going to give you the same Stair Dresser later when you completed a favor for them. They're pockets are invisible, but it will become more clear on what they have when they ask you to buy items from them.

I constantly get letters from Whitney but have not gotten her picture yet. Oh well, I'll get it sometime soon. :)

Every pic I've gotten has been outside. If you give them the item while in their house, you're much more likely to get a piece of furniture from their home. If they give you a store spotlight item (rococo, number lamp, etc) you're could be getting a pic with the next reset.

Every pic I've gotten has been outside. If you give them the item while in their house, you're much more likely to get a piece of furniture from their home. If they give you a store spotlight item (rococo, number lamp, etc) you're could be getting a pic with the next reset.

That may not exactly be the case with Muffy in my town; she often gives me Rococo furniture and has it as her theme. I'm almost positive it's not from her house, due to none of her furniture being absent. We definitely don't interact as much as my other villagers, and I don't do too many of her errands either. ^^;; Does she give me the Rococo set just because she has it in her house?

Last edited:

I actually got Fuscia's pic while in her home, same with Francine

Also i dont think Letters are vital
i just send one to them when they have moved it, thats all and ive got 8 pics easily :) and they still send me letters randomnlu with presents

Wow Thanks for the tips.
I will definitely have to remember to do the save and continue, no matter how many favours I do for my villagers I still don't have any pictures yet :(
I get as fas as them giving me stuff from their pockets and giving me a new nickname.
I am considering time travelling to April 1st so I can get some pictures but have never time travelled before so I think I will just have to do it the old fashioned way.

Last edited:
Wow Thanks for the tips.
I will definitely have to remember to do the save and continue, no matter how many favours I do for my villagers I still don't have any pictures yet :(
I get as fas as them giving me stuff from their pockets and giving me a new nickname.
I am considering time travelling to April 1st so I can get some pictures but have never time travelled before so I think I will just have to do it the old fashioned way.

You need to reset honestly.. or the picture is just one of many items a villager could possibly give you after a good reward.

I'm not sure if the Ladder is entirely accurate because on the first day of my new town, Kody pinged me and wanted to give me a new nickname. So... Yep.

...How do you know what's in the villager's pockets, though?

When they ask you to exchange in item for theirs. Example:

"Oh, I want your shirt, can I exchange it for a painter's smock?" You'll know that they have a painter's smock in their inventory.

Or when you give them an item, there's a chance they'll give the item back to you.

"Oh wow thank you for the polka-dot stool!"

"Hey, do you want a polka-dot stool?!"

Also works when they buy an item from Re-Tail

You can possibly corrupt your save by closing without saving in the home menu.

If you possibly want someone's picture THAT much... well.. you be careful... :blush: c:

Back