• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Bell Tree Mumble: Beginner's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas0n

Retired Staff
Bells
Lump of Coal
Dark Candy
Blue Mote of Flame
Purple Feather
Pink Feather
Blue Feather
November Birthstone (Topaz)
Ancient Lantern
Dusty Scroll
Trophy
The Bell Tree's Mumble is now live! For any new users to Mumble, this guide will help you through discovered what Mumble is, how to use it and how to join The Bell Tree's server. If you have any questions that this guide doesn't cover please feel free to either PM me or simply make a post in this thread!

What is Mumble? How do I download it?
Mumble is a VoIP service. Put simply, this means that you can join The Bell Tree's Mumble server and you're able to voice chat to anybody else who's also in the server. It's almost like a combination of Skype and the forum's pre-existing IRC Chatroom.

To download Mumble, visit http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ and half way down the page under "Get Mumble" download the latest Stable release for your operating system (As of posting this thread, Version 1.2.4 for Mac & PC).

Once downloaded, launch it and follow the simple setup wizard. It will guide you through configuring your microphone so that it's as clear as possible. Please make sure to read everything and set it up correctly. I strongly recommend that you set your microphone to the "Push-To-Talk" setting. This means that you will need to press a button on your keyboard or mouse and hold it while you are talking. Doing this means that we won't hear any unnecessary background noise coming from your house or when you are typing on your keyboard.

How do I join The Bell Tree's server?
On the server connection list, which should pop up when you launch Mumble, you can click "Add New" and fill out these details.

Label: The Bell Tree
Address: 108.61.25.67
Port: 4562
Username: Your Username

Or, you can simply click this banner and it'll connect you to the server automatically:

How do I register my nickname?
Registering your nickname in Mumble simply makes it so nobody else can use your nickname on our server. It also allows you to become an administrator on the server.

To start, you'll want to make sure you're using the nickname that you want to register with and join The Bell Tree's server. Go to "Configure" menu and select "Certificate Wizard". Follow the instructions, similarly to how you set up your microphone in the audio wizard.

Once that is complete, right click on your own username in the user lists within the channel and select the "Register" option. If everything worked properly, you should now be registered.

How do I disable Text-to-Speech?
The Text-to-Speech option in Mumble makes it so all messages written in the Mumble text chat are read aloud for you to hear. This can be useful if you're playing a video game or something, but in general it can be quite annoying.

You can disable this option in the Mumble configuration. Simply go to "Configure Mumble -> Messages" and un-tick the "text-to-speech" option for the corresponding notifications. Some versions of Mumble can just un-tick "text-to-speech" directly from the "Configure" menu.

Have any more questions?
Feel free to post below with any questions as well as with any other information you'd like to see added to this guide. I look forward to seeing all of you in the Mumble server!

Last edited:
So I followed the instructions to register my name but now I can't join the server under Horus, so...

WHAT HAVE I DONE?

So I followed the instructions to register my name but now I can't join the server under Horus, so...

WHAT HAVE I DONE?

I guess you either changed your certificate or the computer you were using. If you're going to use mumble on more than one computer you'll need to copy the certificate that is made on your first computer and import it on your second.

I cleared your registration so you should be able to use your Horus name again. Try redoing the registration I guess?

I guess you either changed your certificate or the computer you were using. If you're going to use mumble on more than one computer you'll need to copy the certificate that is made on your first computer and import it on your second.

I cleared your registration so you should be able to use your Horus name again. Try redoing the registration I guess?

Just got the one computer, so I don't know what happened but thanks Jason.

Received a few questions asking how to disable the text-to-speech option in Mumble so I updated the guide with how to do so. Hope it helps!

It keeps giving me an error message:

Mumble 1.2.4 Setup Wizard ended prematurely
Mumble 1.2.4 Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run Setup Wizard again. Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard.

I tried to install it about ten times now...

It keeps giving me an error message:

Mumble 1.2.4 Setup Wizard ended prematurely
Mumble 1.2.4 Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run Setup Wizard again. Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard.

I tried to install it about ten times now...

Are you sure you're installing the right version for your system? That's the only thing I can think of. I tried googling your error and I can't seem to find anybody else who's had the same issue :/

Maybe try installing an older version of Mumble like 1.2.3. Or possibly even grabbing the Snapshot version.

Are you sure you're installing the right version for your system? That's the only thing I can think of. I tried googling your error and I can't seem to find anybody else who's had the same issue :/

Maybe try installing an older version of Mumble like 1.2.3. Or possibly even grabbing the Snapshot version.

No,i tried three different versions. I took a nap and restarted the computer,and it seems to be installing fine now. I guess the thing was just picky and wanted a reboot. -.-;

Shameless bump for the Mumble thread in the disguise of a progress report, as there's currently no other advertising for the server on the forum!

So we've had the Mumble for almost 2 weeks as of posting this. It's been doing surprisingly well so far with activity every day and we've formed a nice small community from the regular visitors. We talk about everything from happenings on TBT, various games and gaming news, general life discussion and the occasional (terribly bad) karaoke.

We'd like to recruit more users into our fold so if you were thinking about joining or if this is your first time hearing about the server, be sure to pay us a visit!

Thinking of giving this a go but not sure....

Thinking of giving this a go but not sure....

What's holding you back?

I was shy and afraid to be judged by everyone. I thought they would despise me after hearing my voice. The regulars who go on are very warm and welcoming. C: They're very easy (to get along with xo). They are so warm & fuzzy that when random people (those who channel surf) come in, no one kicks them and instead they just merge with our community and have amazing conversations. This is my story.

You should give it a shot. c:

Honestly the Mumble is where it's at. You get a chance to communicate with the staff members a lot there. Get to know your forum mods + admins there. xo

Edit: If you come on at the right times, we also play games together. Like Mino's "Guess the capital of .." game, Mino's dictionary game or Ticket to Ride / Mario Kart 7 / Pokemon X&Y (most likely, am i rite).

Shout out to the regulars: Hi Lauren, Jason, Jubs, AndyB, ProfGallows, Mino, SockHead, Horus, Harry, Pally, Kuma, Jen, River.

Promoting Mumble = A +++ on efforts.

Last edited:
I wish I had the time be on every day to chat :/ My internet os pretty bad as well. Maybe I'll start going on Mumble during XY.

D'aw Kayla. iLoveYou

But yes, everybody should join Mumble, you get the inside scoop on all the TBT drama and happenings. Although Thursday seems to have been officially dubbed the "everybody get drunk" night. Be wary if joining on Thursdays.

What's holding you back?

I was shy and afraid to be judged by everyone. I thought they would despise me after hearing my voice. The regulars who go on are very warm and welcoming. C: They're very easy (to get along with xo). They are so warm & fuzzy that when random people (those who channel surf) come in, no one kicks them and instead they just merge with our community and have amazing conversations. This is my story.

You should give it a shot. c:

Honestly the Mumble is where it's at. You get a chance to communicate with the staff members a lot there. Get to know your forum mods + admins there. xo

Edit: If you come on at the right times, we also play games together. Like Mino's "Guess the capital of .." game, Mino's dictionary game or Ticket to Ride / Mario Kart 7 / Pokemon X&Y (most likely, am i rite).

Shout out to the regulars: Hi Lauren, Jason, Jubs, AndyB, ProfGallows, Mino, SockHead, Horus, Harry, Pally, Kuma, Jen, River.

Promoting Mumble = A +++ on efforts.
Aw yeah

What sucks is everyone is mostly on at like 3am when I can't talk as loud...

JUTMtCs.jpg

This guy is me in the Mumble when everybody's drunk and hyper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back