• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

My HRA score was halved for no reason!

Toraneko

Striker Eureka
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Purple Mailbox
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
Cake
So yesterday I got nearly 800k points for doing a Trendy themed house, and it unlocked the gold door for me. This was the third day (I think) I've been on the themed challenges. Today when I checked my score it was 477k, and I didn't change anything drastically on the inside or outside. If anything I added a few more trendy things to the inside of my house. Is this a bug or something?

I suggest using this page to fully understand which exterior parts are trendy:
http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/House_Customization

From what I've heard, the gold parts are antique. I'm wondering if the antique theme builds the most points. I don't think specific furniture sets are worth more than others, as long as you have 11 trendy furniture pieces, specifically a full set.

Try to remove all non trendy items from your house.
Use this to see which furniture is what:
http://moridb.com/items/sets/

Just search your furniture in the search box an you'll find the item. Very useful site

By saying you didn't 'drastically' change the exterior, do you mean you didn't change anything at all? The only explanation I can think of is that you ordered the golden door, which overwrote a trendy-themed exterior and put you below 3 themed exteriors, thus changing the point calculation by a lot.

I've been using that page a lot. I currently have red brick fence, metal mailbox, and black modern roof contributing to the HRA score. I do not have any of the gold exterior parts on my house. As I said, I didn't change any exterior elements in between yesterday and today, so I don't understand why the score suddenly lowered for no discernible reason. :\

I have the minimalist set in the front room, modern and half of sleek set in the back room, astro set in the right side room, and classic in the top floor. The left side room has a few trendy pieces but mostly kitchen items. I've also been using moridb heavily to check whether an item matches the theme.

But as I said, I didn't make any huge changes between yesterday and today so it just seems strange. :\

@Nao - I DID NOT order the golden door. I do not have any of the golden exterior items and I didn't change any exterior elements.

Last edited:
I have the minimalist set in the front room, modern and half of sleek set in the back room, astro set in the right side room, and classic in the top floor. The left side room has a few trendy pieces but mostly kitchen items. I've also been using moridb heavily to check whether an item matches the theme.

@Nao - I DID NOT order the golden door. I do not have any of the golden exterior items and I didn't change any exterior elements.

Sorry - I would guess you did not, but the wording wasn't absolutely definite as to whether you did or not, so to be on the safe side...

Anyway - I'm no expert on the theme challenge, but I'd really recommend putting all of your themed items within ~3 rooms rather than spreading them out. If you don't have enough items in a room so that it makes 90% of the room and is at least ~10 or so items, then it'd be best stuffed in a room that already has a lot of those items. Non-themed rooms don't count against you, but themed items in a predominantly non-themed room aren't making you a lot of (or possibly any) points. Your "mostly kitchen items" room would probably be most useful if you took the trendy items out of it and put them in a themed room.

Again, I'm no expert and I'm not trying to tell you what to do. >_< But I completed the challenge in a couple of days with three rooms absolutely stuffed full of sci-fi stuff, so in my experience, I think stuffing a few rooms is your best bet.

Taken from Liquefy's FAQ on gamefaqs, the formula for a house with at least 3 exterior reforms and 90% of items in a room being themed:
90% of room for 11,000 x # of total different items + 95,000 x # of exterior reforms
You've probably seen this before, but in case you haven't, here it is.

EDIT - also just in case, here's a link to that FAQ. http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/997811-animal-crossing-new-leaf/faqs/65246 This is what I used, it has all of the themed items in one easy place.

But yeah, I definitely can't explain why your score would drop.

Last edited:

D: Thank you! That's so nice!

Also, I had a thought - you said you didn't CHANGE a lot of stuff, but did you perhaps MOVE stuff from one room to another? If you moved items from a predominantly trendy room to a room with fewer trendy items in order to space things out (for example, to the kitchen item room), it might have actually hurt your score.

Aside from that, I dunno. That's my best guess.

Hmm I didn't move any items to the kitchen themed room from other rooms, what I added was only a spotlight that I had delivered to me yesterday. Today I added a TV camera, set square table, coffee filter, display stand and polka dot lamp to that kitchen room. The trendy items already in that room were hi-fi stereo, minimalist lamp and electric kettle. And I guess modern wall if the wallpaper counts as well.

Thanks for the help. I'm just so confused. ><

Last edited:
Back