• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The Resetting Thread

Well I didn't ideally place my cafe, and police station. My biggest thing is basically the layout of the town.

I have a question, when you guys reset, do u reset it at your original start date ie. June time. Or do you reset on the current date? I kind of want the original date but i dont want to TT so many months ahead.

I have a question, when you guys reset, do u reset it at your original start date ie. June time. Or do you reset on the current date? I kind of want the original date but i dont want to TT so many months ahead.

I usually just stick with the current date. I don't like to Time Travel very much.

I've reset a couple of times now, but when I first did so, it was in August so setting the date to the 14th of June, and then TTing forwards wasn't much of an issue for me. I had plenty of time to catch up, but in my latest town I didn't set it to my original start date. Starting in June and then TTing all the way up to October didn't really appeal to me, but that's just me! If you're alright with TTing that far and if having your original starting date is important, then I say go for it, especially if it isn't that long ago. :)

So, I took the first layout that came along when I made my town (it was the only good one) and I never liked it that much, and I didn't want to start with cherries, but I kept the town anyway because it had 2 of my dreamies as starters. I thought I'd grow to love the layout, but unfortunately that isn't the case. It just isn't a very nice layout, even though I've tried to make it look nice with paths, trees, etc, and I have a massive beach and private beach when I think I'd rather have 2 biggish ones. The only reason I'm keeping it is because of my villagers - I have most of my dreamies now, minus Mira and Beau, and I'd hate to lose them all through resetting. So I'm in 2 minds whether or not to reset atm...

After tons of deciding, I reset my town.
I hated the villagers, town layout, grass and fruit. I'm so happy I did.
Now I'm on the quest for a town I'll love.

I have reset once. My first town had a perfect layout and was going so good, I had 8/10 dreamies and was working on TTing a villager out, but made a few TTing mistakes. I then realized that I had the game for a couple of weeks and a years time had already passed, so I decided to restart and not time travel so that I wouldnt get bored of my town fast. I have only TTed once to get a villager out to make room for a dreamie, and my game has been going so much better

Okay so I've made the decision to reset my town due to a rubbish map layout. Can someone help me with pointers for choosing a map?... I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Okay so I've made the decision to reset my town due to a rubbish map layout. Can someone help me with pointers for choosing a map?... I have no idea what I'm looking for.

But, but, but...you worked so hard on your dream town! xD I don't remember your map, but I thought you made your town look really nice.

Your villagers are pretty cool too~

I start at my original start date because it makes me feel good.

Sorry for posting so late :/

I've decided to reset my town, even though it has a "perfect" rating. It sucks that it took me so long to realize this (I started playing in July), but
1) I have almost no room for public works projects.
2) My river is really long and curvy, which leaves 2 narrow strips of land I can barely put anything in.
3) I have a long and narrow peninsula which is difficult to work with, and it's mostly villager houses so I can't really put projects there. I love love love the projects new leaf offers so I want as many as possible!
4) My house placement has always bothered me. It's almost right on the cliff (what was I thinking??).

My current map:
acnl old map vivani.jpg

For my new map, I want a smaller, horizontal, and straighter river, so it'll divide the town into 2 pretty even parts.
I think starting fresh will be fun (although challenging), because who knows what villagers I'll get? I want a town that I'm in love with, not one where I dislike lots of things about it.

So, with all that said, can someone please please please be amazing and let me come to their town and drop off some of my things and hold onto them while I reset my game and get a new town?
NOTE: It might take me 1-3 hours (hopefully not that long!!) to get a map that I like because I have a very specific one in mind. But I'll message you as soon as I'm done and come pick my stuff up :)

Message me if you can help me please :)

Sorry for posting so late :/

I've decided to reset my town, even though it has a "perfect" rating. It sucks that it took me so long to realize this (I started playing in July), but
1) I have almost no room for public works projects.
2) My river is really long and curvy, which leaves 2 narrow strips of land I can barely put anything in.
3) I have a long and narrow peninsula which is difficult to work with, and it's mostly villager houses so I can't really put projects there. I love love love the projects new leaf offers so I want as many as possible!
4) My house placement has always bothered me. It's almost right on the cliff (what was I thinking??).

My current map:
View attachment 15956

For my new map, I want a smaller, horizontal, and straighter river, so it'll divide the town into 2 pretty even parts.
I think starting fresh will be fun (although challenging), because who knows what villagers I'll get? I want a town that I'm in love with, not one where I dislike lots of things about it.

So, with all that said, can someone please please please be amazing and let me come to their town and drop off some of my things and hold onto them while I reset my game and get a new town?
NOTE: It might take me 1-3 hours (hopefully not that long!!) to get a map that I like because I have a very specific one in mind. But I'll message you as soon as I'm done and come pick my stuff up :)

Message me if you can help me please :)

Lol, I had this EXACT same map! And....I was weak so I bought a second copy, but yeah I had the same annoyances you have. This town layout feels sooooooo small, and PWP's are unbearably hard to put anywhere.

We put our campsite in the exact same spot C=

Last edited:
I just reset and am now regretting it! The reason I reset was mainly boredom, I had everything and wanted the challenge of starting a new town, but then I remembered how annoying it was not having anything unlocked XD.. Also you loose your best friends chat thingy if you reset, I would say unless you are super unhappy with your town then don't do it! :D

View attachment 16056

Please ignore the bad quality of the picture. ~_~

I reseted a while ago, because I just wasn't happy with my layout (mostly because of the river and of where I had placed my house). I really like the layout I have now (I was specifically looking for a place where I could put my house and I would have no neighbors), except my villagers tend to place their houses close to each other (left side of my map) and it kinda annoys me (doesn't matter how often I reset; they'll always place their house close to another one, not to mention it is impossible for me to get anyone to place their house in the right upper corner of my map -_-').

There are four villagers I plan on getting to move (the one below Re-Tail, the one on the right below the Town Hall, one of the two at the bottom of my map (next to my bridge) and then one of the four on the left (Sterling placed his house close to Fauna's and while I don't like that very much, I love Sterling so I kept him there)), so hopefully that should help things and make me like the house placements better.

However, to be honest, while I don't regret reseting since my previous layout had begun frustrating me, I've lost my motivation somewhat to work on my town. It takes time to unlock everything again (even if you TT) and I'm a bit 'Blah' because of all the insects and such I had already donated to the museum.

I do plan on beginning to play again more often and more seriously, but I'm unsure what to do. I'm seriously considering TT-ing back to the beginning of the year and then TT-ing forwards two days each time, to get all the fish, insects and such that I need. I haven't decided yet, though. But I know after my first town that this time there are things I won't do, like getting the Dream Suite. So it helps that I have some idea of what I (not) want/need.

So, in short; I'd say that if you're really unhappy with your town layout, then reset. But keep in mind that you'll have to unlock certain things again and that you'll also have to catch insects and what not again (if you plan on donating them to the museum, that is).

I really want to reset...i want to make my town pretty because when i first started, i did everything wrong - picked a ****ty layout, chose a crappy spot for my house, didn't name my town something i was happy with, etc.

But ive just fone so much. Even though yes, i did time travel at firs tto speed thins up, i cant deny that ive made ao many memories and such on my game!

Im not happy with my town, even though ive worked so hard on it...its past the point of repairing too, trust me, some things i just literally cant alter. This is why i used AR and some game editiors for wild world and city folk, i was never disappointed because i could change anything at any time.

But i know we have such restrictions ln the game maybe because im looking too into it or what, because its like live, like real life - and in real life you mist live with the choices youve made.

But still, this ks just a game. And i desperately want to reset.

I was thinking of asking my friend to borrow his 3ds for a second, drop off all my items, clothes, what little bells i have, etc., so ill have a little headstart. Its just too bad that i cant save the letters. I mean k vould screenshot them in-game, because even if i reset ill always have the hundreds of photos i took :)

*sigh* i really dont want to. But ive come to terms with it. :,(

I do have a lot of PWPs, but...my villagers barely recommended any. So although that will be a major pain in the ass, it's not like i unlocked ehat i wanted anyways - never got the flower arch, never got the cupid fountain, etc. That part i will get over.

What do you guys think? Good plan?

I reseted also few days ago, because I wasn't happy with the layout of my town and I hated basically 95% of my villagers. Also I did the mistake to time travel. I don't regret my decision. :)

I was resetting yesterday, resp. I am still resetting.

I always was like "that's not the best map, but it's okay". Since I played a while and noticed how crappy it really was I set a cut.
A friend's carrying my most important stuff and a few hybrids. I'm still not finished resetting. Doing it for around ~4 to 6 hours now. I hate it. The thing is that I'm annoyingly picky. I always got pears - now I hate them - I want apples! I've got a special river in my head and just won't accept another. Hope I'll get it soon. :(
It's so depressing.

(Here's my old map)
townmap.jpg

Last edited:
Back