• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The Resetting Thread

I feel like I cheated my town as I did a timetravel ONCE and now it haunts me. I don't feel like it's genuine or pure anymore and that's the whole reason to why I'm struggling with if I should reset or not. I want to be able to say I did everything without cheating and to me timetraveling is cheating.(Eventhough most people doesn't think it is..)

Currently I have Tammi, Blaire, Cobb, Tom, Clyde; Pashmina, Lucy, Ed, Muffy, Kiki and they are not that bad, because I'm scanning amiibo's in anyway to replace them. The town landscaping isn't even started on yet as I have been focusing on god knows what? My town name and my Mayors name is also starting to get to me since it's unoriginal and kind of make the point to clear on what it's really about.

I just need some advice, but I am almost 100% sure to reset so I can feel I haven't done any type of cheating in anyway.

What do you guys think? Is it a bad idea to reset or not?

I feel like I cheated my town as I did a timetravel ONCE and now it haunts me. I don't feel like it's genuine or pure anymore and that's the whole reason to why I'm struggling with if I should reset or not. I want to be able to say I did everything without cheating and to me timetraveling is cheating.(Eventhough most people doesn't think it is..)

Currently I have Tammi, Blaire, Cobb, Tom, Clyde; Pashmina, Lucy, Ed, Muffy, Kiki and they are not that bad, because I'm scanning amiibo's in anyway to replace them. The town landscaping isn't even started on yet as I have been focusing on god knows what? My town name and my Mayors name is also starting to get to me since it's unoriginal and kind of make the point to clear on what it's really about.

I just need some advice, but I am almost 100% sure to reset so I can feel I haven't done any type of cheating in anyway.

What do you guys think? Is it a bad idea to reset or not?
Honestly, it sounds like you're really unhappy with your town, and you don't really lose much by resetting it. I say go for it!

I've started the awful journey of resetting for the perfect map on my new game. Gone through about a dozen resets so far. Kind of regretting getting rid of one map 'cause it was decent and had Snake, Molly, and Lucky in it, but it had oranges as the native fruit and I don't want that.

So basically my wishlist for this new town is:

- South facing river
- Circle or triangle grass (because I have square in my main town)
- Not oranges or apples (I don't like oranges and I have apples in Bluebell)
- Good location for plaza/town hall/Re-tail (plaza is the priority, I don't want it shoved away in corner/edge)
- Nice peninsula-type spot for my Mayor's house

I'll probably end up compromising on some of it eventually but hey.

Last edited:
just bought a used copy so i am resetting the town while getting bells for selling the old town. but since i didnt like the first maps i gotta so it again and listen to isabelle and nook and resetti again x.x

rover keeps giving me maps where the plaza is hugging the wall or right up on the campground entrance :(

I've been thinking about resetting my second town for a while. I started it in March, searched hours for a map that I liked, and worked very hard on it at first. I got T&T emporium within a few months, for example.
But, I just don't feel motivated to work on it anymore. I can't work around the map, I don't like the overal feeling of my town, and I just don't like it. It feels almost too perfect for me.
I don't know if I should reset because I already caught a lot of bugs and fish etc., and I caught both the scorpion and the tarantula for the first time in my life.
What do you guys think, should I reset?

(btw, I would never reset my first town, that is my child haha. I got a second town because after four years of playing I felt like my first town was finished and I wanted something new to have fun with)

I'd say go for it! If you were to be unhappy with the placement of villagers, PWPs, paths or something non-permanent, you could just redo all of it, but since you seem to be unhappy with the map on it's own, you've got nothing to lose!
A fresh start can feel pretty nice and while I do understand that losing your encyclopedia and museum stuff, it's worth it in the end.
(And you can always catch the insects and fish again!)

I've been thinking about resetting my second town for a while. I started it in March, searched hours for a map that I liked, and worked very hard on it at first. I got T&T emporium within a few months, for example.
But, I just don't feel motivated to work on it anymore. I can't work around the map, I don't like the overal feeling of my town, and I just don't like it. It feels almost too perfect for me.
I don't know if I should reset because I already caught a lot of bugs and fish etc., and I caught both the scorpion and the tarantula for the first time in my life.

(btw, I would never reset my first town, that is my child haha. I got a second town because after four years of playing I felt like my first town was finished and I wanted something new to have fun with)
Having gone through a lot of towns myself, I noticed some towns seem to hit that feeling of perfection sooner than others. No clue why. Sounds like it's time for a fresh start!

(And you can always catch the insects and fish again!)

Hmm, yeah, I think you're right, thanks. It is just nice to hear someone say it's a good idea. I'll leave my game for a few days, and if I'm still certain I should reset next week, I'll sell my town. Thank you.
And I am so proud of catching both the tarantula and the scorpion because it's the first time I ever did that, and I've been playing since Wild World.

Hopefully there will be an AC switch by next summer though (probably not).

- - - Post Merge - - -

Having gone through a lot of towns myself, I noticed some towns seem to hit that feeling of perfection sooner than others. No clue why. Sounds like it's time for a fresh start!

You're right, some do! Even though it's nowhere near perfect, I just don't know where to work on in my town. Thank you for your reply! Made me even more certain that I should reset.

I found that after being burnt out for a while, I'd try to rejuvenate myself my starting over. It didn't always work for me, but it can be nice to get a fresh perspective on things. To do things differently in the town.

I'm in the process of resetting my town. I still want a similar map but brand new theme. Selling your town, going through the dialouge, and not finding ANY cute maps is a nightmare.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of resetting my town. I still want a similar map but brand new theme. Selling your town, going through the dialouge, and not finding ANY cute maps is a nightmare.
I feel you. It's so tedious, but rewarding when you finally find the right map!

i kind of regret my map but i do not know if i should reset
map.jpg
I have already put my campsite down but I am not sure I like that spot either >.<;

Last edited:
i kind of regret my map but i do not know if i should reset
View attachment 210078
I have already put my campsite down but I am not sure I like that spot either >.<;

I like your map, the centered plaza is nice, as is your house placement. But if you feel unhappy with it currently I'd try to wait it out for a few days and see if the urge to reset goes away. Sometimes you just have to get used to a layout and figure out a way to work around the things that bother you.
Don't end up like me and restart for several days, making you curse out Rover and stop playing for a while haha.

I like your map, the centered plaza is nice, as is your house placement. But if you feel unhappy with it currently I'd try to wait it out for a few days and see if the urge to reset goes away. Sometimes you just have to get used to a layout and figure out a way to work around the things that bother you.
Don't end up like me and restart for several days, making you curse out Rover and stop playing for a while haha.

It took me 3 days to get that map as Rover was giving me the worst maps ever.

I am going to reset my game, but i need someone to hold some of my valuables for me. Note that I do have issues with trust, if any of my items go missing I will not only give you a bad wifi rating but I will report you. I have the items written down and I will know if you took anything. Please PM if i can trust you to hold my items for me

Back