The Resetting Thread

Look, I pretty much made an account just to say this. I'm not sure wether to reset or not. I don't like how my town looks, I don't really like where my house and retail is at and I just don't really like my town in general. But the thing is, I got most of my dreamies and I have my favorite native fruit which is cherries and I have all of my shops unlocked and I have a lot of stuff I don't want to let go of and I have over 200 hours invested in my town. I just can't decide if I should reset.

I read this before.. "Better to reset now rather than 3 months from now." It's now easier to reset than ever with the update. You can get money for your town, all of the PWP suggestions you previously had, and get your entire inventory transferred. If you hate the layout that much, take the plunge. I've reset some beautiful towns (just because I was bored, not because I thought about the layout) and I've gotten all of my progress back, and I didn't even have the update then. You can do it too, especially with the update. However, getting the shops unlocked, with timetraveling and buying endless clothes from Able Sister's in order to pass Gracie's Fashion Test, took AGES. I was up until 12 AM opening T&T Emporium. Unless you're taking the long route or are patient, I wouldn't recommend doing all of that.

Thanks to your advice and by watching a motivational video, I have decided to reset.

That is, if I didn't stop procrastinating on it.:v Once I get the right layout and stuff I will post a little screenshot. (If I ever get the perfect layout.)

I've decided to reset my town... it's the first time I've ever reset and I'm already dreading hunting for a good map.

Who knew resetting for circle grass + apples would be this difficult?

I know something even worse...

Resetting for a perfect town with a good river layout AND a plaza in the center with apples as the native fruit AAAANNNNDDDD triangle grass. ;-;

Just recently reset my town. Was looking for the town plaza in the center with a great stretch of beach so I don't have to walk in and out. Spent 2 hours restarting the game; to now having a great layout with Cherries as my native fruit. Even found a perfect cherry on my first day!

I know something even worse...

Resetting for a perfect town with a good river layout AND a plaza in the center with apples as the native fruit AAAANNNNDDDD triangle grass. ;-;

To be honest, I was also restting for a good layout! Goes without saying :)

unsure wether i want to reset or not.

pros of resetting: ive had this village since 2014 new villages are fresh. i can change my house and layout and replace cafe, permanent structures, etc. plan out my layout more. and i can enjoy holidays and resetting villagers, all over again. I can also change the name of my mayor and my town. dont really care about losing the medals, itll be fun to earn them back again.

cons: had this village since 2014, old villages are cool. and a ridiculous amount of items/furniture/bells/flowers i spent months and lots of TBT to get, + an entire closet of QR codes. i would want to transfer that i doubt can pass through anyone's game who also has alot of items in their town.

+ cannot find a friend who can help me hold/move my items.
usnure of wether i can trust strangers to hold my items, especially if i take a while to continuously reset for a good layout.
+ person may not have enough room to keep all my items/bells

I'm considering resetting my town of 4 years ;;;;;;
I was super attached to it... but now not so much
I still feel horrible thinking about deleting it though
I hate all my villagers and my town layout is **** so idk

I want a fresh start, but i...d...k

Last edited:
I'm considering resetting my town of 4 years ;;;;;;
I was super attached to it... but now not so much
I still feel horrible thinking about deleting it though
I hate all my villagers and my town layout is **** so idk

I want a fresh start, but i...d...k
I'd say reset, a fresh start is always good for a situation like yours. Plus as you know, people will hold items for you.

I have reset my town 3 times, just because I wanted the perfect town, I had some issues with the maps I had and today I finally got my perfect map. I haven't gotten so far but now I am happy and can focus on making my town awesome.

I'm having such bad luck resetting.

If I hadn't had an amiibo villager place their house terribly a few weeks ago, I'd be golden, but no matter what (or many other people do), many, if not all amiibo villagers refuse to move out, so the problem was unfixable... It was the best map I'd gotten possibly ever, too, so trying to get something like that again is rough work.

Last edited:
I just sold my town and when restarting, Rover only gave me like 4 different maps and I couldn't pick my new face, if I totally delete the new town, will I be able to pick everything?

So after about 2 years of casually resetting my extra cartridge, yesterday I FINALLY got my perfect town roll! Holy crap. I did it idly while watching TV or studying, didn't keep track of an exact number, but a rough estimate might be ~5,000 times (~50x a week for 2 years), which means sifting through ~20,000 maps.

The list:

Triangle grass
Peaches
Green roof train station
Green roof town hall
West facing beach
Both ramps on the large beach portion so there's a smaller private beach
Main ramp goes straight up and down directly from the dock instead of having to turn and run against the side of the cliff
South facing waterfall w/ straight river portion to put bridge as close to being above the waterfall as possible
Two ponds
Town hall and plaza on upper quadrant and near the corners
Retail on lower quadrant of map

uhhh, and I think that might be it!

I ended up putting my house in front of the eastern waterfall so I can see it every day as I walk out, with enough room to put seating to the right of my house, directly in front of the waterfall. ^-^ Also, bonus points for getting two of my favorite villagers, too: Skye and Tabby! Also my IRL dog's namesake Bones decided to move in, and in line with IRL Bones always being in the way (100lbs and like velcro), Bones the villager is totally in the way. XD Not even mad!

Last edited:
I'm starting to think the perfect map doesn't exist. I ended up picking one with:
- circle grass
- peaches
- vertical waterfall
- town hall + retail aligned with the railways
- just 1 pond, but big and in a bad spot
- plaza in the South, right next to the path that leads to the camping
- interesting neighbors such as fauna, cookie, and Julian is moving in today.

i really want to reset my town but i don't want to lose all my stuff i guess

edit: i reset lol

Last edited:
I feel like erasing zebilage just because I'm not happy how it is anymore
But really if I'm doing it... I want to trust someone who can hold 4 animals and all my stuff
Well at least all my pictures,black flowers and items that I can't order
But I just don't know who :( and I don't have another 3ds that I can have to do it well

So I'm just stuck in wanting to reset but don't want to loose the stuff I wanna hold

I've reset so many times my town since I got the game, I lost count
I just wanted space for the cafe, the camping site, my house near the waterfall and the villagers
And the freakin Apples!
But mostly I reset because I don't like my villager's face lol

Back