• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Why do people consider Animal Crossing "bad"?

Not at all. Animal crossing is a wonderful game. Not only is it fun but i've been many great friends. In my opinion it can only get better from here.

I just wrote a comment toward the video about Animal Crossing supporting Otaku Citizenship. I'd like to cross-reference it here. ;u;

I think that the idea of Animal Crossing is partly to appease the controlling aspect of the individual. We live in reality, where many things in our lives are beyond our control. If anything, Animal Crossing provides a safe environment where you are allowed to be controlling and obsessive, where otherwise you would not be able to be.

Considering Japanese society is very much about regularity and not deviating from the norm (perhaps even moreso than American society), the game provides the means for people to let out those 'urges' safely. It's much like the Sims, or any other similar game in which it gives you this amount of control. The 'mask' of having cutesy elements is simply a stylistic choice, where the Sims does not provide. Some people wish to fully separate their control impulses from reality, and providing a very animated, distinctive style helps the brain further separate the difference between being a 'tyrant' (whether kind or terrible) in your game, and being a tyrant in real life.

I'm not trying to protect the franchise, as I'm actually very new to it (I only own New Leaf). However, I've heard many long-time fans say that the game was almost 'therapeudic' to them, and that one of the best things about it is the ability of escape. I've heard stories about kids who had difficult home lives, who could look toward Animal Crossing and project their idea of a 'perfect home', and a 'perfect community'.

We were built with our instinct of fight-or-flight, but modern civilization is not built on this, which is why life causes us so much stress- and may be a reason as to why disorders are being constantly discovered, as a 'disorder' could simply be the brain's inability to cope between instinct and society norm. Nevertheless, if games like this can provide a safe, separate environment where people are allowed to let loose these feelings, I can't say anything but positive things about it.

Of course, and I stress, so long as the difference between reality and simulated environments are understood by the individual as wholly separate things.

TL;DR: If it's not hurting anyone and taking over the person's life, I see AC more as therapy than anything else.

... Phew it's long. ;u; But this pretty much sums up my opinion on the game. I don't feel it makes people obsessive; I feel more that it provides people with certain obsessive urges a safe space to let out. c:

Last edited:
Why do people write so many articles about Animal Crossing being bad? I just noticed a few on a google search, and I didn't even feel like reading them because of all the crap people say about it.
Maybe if you did read them, you'd have your answer? Just sayin. You can find support for just about any unpopular opinion in a quick Google search- that doesn't mean that opinion is held by a meaningful majority. It doesn't even mean that the opinion qualifies as a trend. I have noticed a few satirical articles written about AC, and how it reinforces undesirable social ideals, and how it encourages conformist thinking. Broadly speaking, these are both true, and yet, cogent counterarguments can also be made that ACNL is a creative outlet, and that it encourages positive social values.

tl;dr: It's the internet. Of course there will be people who think Animal Crossing sucks and is bad for you.

Who really cares what other people think?

If you're going to base your opinion off of a total stranger's opinion then why even bother to do anything at all? lol

Reviews are stupid. Sorry to anyone who might do reviews but really all a review is is someone's opinion. They might be insightful to help figure out what sort of game you're looking for but other than that it's just how one person feels about the game.

I don't think the stigma is that it's a bad game, I think it's that gamers consider it a casual game. I dunno. I think a lot of immature gamers feel that if a game isn't hard core then it's not worth their time. I can't speak for all gamers of course, but I do know that I get my fair share of "fake geek girl" shaming when I say I like games like pokemon and animal crossing because those are "girly games". They apparently don't seem to consider that I also used to place in Street Fighter tourneys and am in the Gold Tier of Starcraft 2. Details, details.

The only negativity I've seen about it is that is is meant to be real time. People will act in an addicted manner and play all day long trying to make bells or collect items in all the different ways. A lot of people will sit there and play non-stop to make sure that they don't miss something. A game like this is just as bad as Call of Duty or whatever just because of the addiction factor. There really is nothing "bad" about it in any other sense because it is an easy-going "child's" game.

I was unaware people considered this series to be bad. Well. Besides that one time where news people were claiming that Toritimer was really some pedophile in disguise as if someone was controlling the NPCs in the game. And that's just because ignorant news media! :D

Really, I don't care what people think about the game. I know it's not bad. If they want to hate one it and make up weird assumptions, let them. It's not gonna make me enjoy my game any less!

The game has had so many glittering reviews. I really wouldn't take a few randoms to heart.

And may I bring to peoples attention that this game has sold over 5 million copies worldwide. I think that alone stomps out any negativity from naysayers.

It annoys me those who call the game childish. The game is a great for escapism and for pure relaxation. It is so refreshing to come back from work, play the game and chill. It is quirky, addictive and child and adult friendly. I am past caring what people think now.

my fnds think it looks like the dumbest game ever and don't believe me when i say its AMAZING

If you're going to base your opinion off of a total stranger's opinion then why even bother to do anything at all? lol

Reviews are stupid. Sorry to anyone who might do reviews but really all a review is is someone's opinion. They might be insightful to help figure out what sort of game you're looking for but other than that it's just how one person feels about the game.

^ Couldn't have agreed more.

Personally, I used to read reviews to get a basic 'idea' or 'understanding' of one (or several) opinions to ultimately base my decision around the fact if I should buy a game or not. I have then learned that this would not be the case as many people who deem a game 'terrible' always wound up having the exact opposite opinion of my own. Listening to others opinions and then claiming them as 'factual' and not buying a game because of 'so and sos' reasons is very ignorant and childish. Everyone is entitled to have their own personal opinions, however, that doesn't make them at the very bit, right.

In the end, all that matters is what YOU think of the game, and nobody else. If you like the game, then that is where you stand. If someone else doesn't, then that is their own decision.

Last edited:

As much as I might hate to admit it, this is true.

Maybe if you did read them, you'd have your answer? Just sayin. You can find support for just about any unpopular opinion in a quick Google search- that doesn't mean that opinion is held by a meaningful majority. It doesn't even mean that the opinion qualifies as a trend. I have noticed a few satirical articles written about AC, and how it reinforces undesirable social ideals, and how it encourages conformist thinking. Broadly speaking, these are both true, and yet, cogent counterarguments can also be made that ACNL is a creative outlet, and that it encourages positive social values.

tl;dr: It's the internet. Of course there will be people who think Animal Crossing sucks and is bad for you.

The reason I've stopped reading them is because I've read several of them out of curiosity and people have written dumb things like talking animals is a bad thing, and that paying money to a raccoon is stupid. In my opinion, I'd classify that as crap.

To those of you who were saying that it's their opinion, that's not exactly what I meant.

People can dislike Animal Crossing if they want, but I'm saying, why do people say Animal Crossing is bad for you and that it can ruin your life?

To those of you who were saying that it's their opinion, that's not exactly what I meant.

People can dislike Animal Crossing if they want, but I'm saying, why do people say Animal Crossing is bad for you and that it can ruin your life?

Because some people would rather bash on something to get their opinion across rather than just saying they don't enjoy it.

I think that in this case some people can't handle Animal Crossing because it's a drawn out game. It doesn't end in three days like a lot of other games do. You have to put time and effort into it and if all people are used to is playing a game for a few days and beating it and done with it forever they aren't going to understand a game like AC.

Who in their right mind says a video game intended for children can ruin your life? The only way I can see this game ruining my life is when I'm hooked on beetle farming because I spend way too many hours confined in my room.

Now, I can understand why this game may have negative reviews because it is a little mundane, but bad for you? No way.

Reading reviews its not critically bad- but everyone has their own opinion and people may say this because they have played another game in the series or a similar game
I play everyday and still have plenty of time to do whatever!

That is a good point from Prof Gallows as well- ACNL is an endless game!

Yeah, but still. There're reviews- "How Animal Crossing ruins your life" and stuff that's just stupid. How can a simple, happy game ruin your life?

I thought Animal Crossing was getting good reviews but I have only read a few in PC Gamer and in Amazon. It has charted in at No 2 everywhere so that must count as a good advert/review. I think that people that do play video games are used to doing something more exciting like killing/beating up people or going on an adventure. The adults/children that don't play video games are the protential market they are the ones that could enjoy playing Animal Crossing. The UK adverts are advertising it as a young woman playing.

Back