• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What do you look for in a game?

ƒish

Retired Staff
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I dunno why i'm suddenly asking this, but i'm curious, what do you guys all look for in a game.

I guess i'll start:

Music - I didn't even know this until after i played the DS version of Animal Crossing... Music plays a HUGE roll in a game for me, nearly the defining element... I look back at animal crossing for the GCN and realize how much i loved the game because of the music... then i stare at the DS version and find out how bored i get with the game because of the music... The music defines the game for me, i dont know why.
Gameplay - An obvious choice, nothing is worse than playing a watered down version of another FPS you just beat a week before. A game has to be original for it to be good.
Physics - I'd take great physics over great graphics any day... although a mix of the two is also nice, i'd pic a roaring physical engine to a shiny one, as crazy as that may seem, its just more fun watching the guy you've just blown up go flying across the map than watching him just fall over.
Originality - Goes with gameplay, yes, but i cant help but love original games... i'm a suckor for anything that hasn't been done before.
Kiddiness - I guess i must be a kid at heart... whether its taking Mario Baseball over whatever madden-baseball equivalent is out there, or playing some 'stupid' internet game like Jumper, or Soldat instead of a 'better' Platformer or FPS for the PC, i just have this thing for kiddie games... i dunno why, i just love 'em.

:p

So, what do you look for in a game?

Well I think it's definetly changed for me, but these days I mostly look for:
A lot of gameplay outside of the main sotry mode. This also means online games, games with a lot of "arcade" features, games that can be played over and over, etc. I don't really enjoy playing through a game's "story mode" as much as I used to. Partially because I don't have the time... and it gets boring.

Franchises I know. Games with good music/sound that keeps me with the game. I mostly look for the Nintendo franchises...nothin else :p. Also, I get sports games every couple years.

Gameplay-Gameplay probably is one of the biggest factors for me. Yup. Nothing else to say.

Music-Music is the thing that draws me into games. I memorize every tune and can play it on almost any instrument.

Lack of Violence/kiddiness-The brighter and sunnier the game the more chance I'll buy it.

Replayability-Probably not a very key factor for me. I'll play a game again no matter what.

Gameplay is first, it needs to be a game that I enjoy to play

:p
Replayablity is second for me, if it just has a story mode, that gets boring, then i'll be done with the game in a week or two. If it has online, then i'll be playing it for a year on and off.
Music is next, I NEED to be listening to good music in the game.
and then next is everything else.

It has to have long hours of gameplay,
replayability,
decent graphics,
and it has to be an adventure/action, a platformer, or an RPG.

In no particular order, and I won't even talk about gameplay since it's an obvious choice anyway.

Graphics - I LOVE a game with great graphics. Call me a Sony fanboy or whatever, but I drool when I see great graphics, which makes me want to hit Nintendo for making the Wii so underpowered. Also, I consider physics to be part of graphics, so...

Homey feeling - Although this isn't necessary for me at all, I REALLY REALLY REALLY love games with homey feelings. Some of these games are Yoshi's Island and Animal Crossing... I dunno how to explain this properly.

Music - Heck, being a musician myself, I can appreciate good music... And the fact is, a good game with bad music = a mediocre game.

I look for Metal Gear Solid 3 in a game.

No this isn't a joke. For me MGS3 is the best game ever conceived along with the other MGS's. In a game I want every or at least most of the aspects MGS3 had in it, so Great gameplay, great graphics, one of the best plots for anything EVER, great physics, great everything.

Back