• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Catching a bee

Redlatios

Belly Dancer
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Silver Mailbox
Did anyone manage to catch a bee in the original animal crossing? i remember me and my brother tried for months and never got to catch it. I did catch one in new leaf tho.

It was easier to catch on the gamecube one than in new leaf; they're caught the same way but in new leaf you can't shake the tree with your net out.

No, I've never managed to catch any of them, I didn't realize that you could shake a tree with the net out on the GC version. However at least its easier to catch them in NL than it was in WW, thanks to quick switching items.

I've caught three so far in New Leaf and never caught one on the Game Cube or Wild World so I think it's easier in New Leaf. I also think it's easier to out run them and hide in a house.

I never managed to catch one. (I've not even caught one in New Leaf yet, :/) But I recently restarted my Gamecube town and if I don't catch one this time I am giving up.

Soooo much easier in NL, people are just doing it wrong.

When you see the beehive fall out of the tree, run away so you can't see the bees onscreen.

As soon as the bees are offscreen, don't use the D-Pad to equip the net. Open your inventory, and equip the net this way. The bees can't move while the inventory is opening, closing, or open, while the D-Pad switch lets them move.

Once you have your net equipped, immediately face the direction bees are coming from. When you see the bees onscreen, press A. You just caught your bee!

Soooo much easier in NL, people are just doing it wrong.

When you see the beehive fall out of the tree, run away so you can't see the bees onscreen.

As soon as the bees are offscreen, don't use the D-Pad to equip the net. Open your inventory, and equip the net this way. The bees can't move while the inventory is opening, closing, or open, while the D-Pad switch lets them move.

Once you have your net equipped, immediately face the direction bees are coming from. When you see the bees onscreen, press A. You just caught your bee!

that seems cumbersome....what i do is make sure no other tools in my pocket but the net...i normally place my character on the left side of the tree....shake the tree....press the "d-pad" then press A...it might take a few tries but you will get the hang of it.... i've already completed my museum and the most challenging is catching the tarantula and scorpion....so creepy ..lol...good luck to you...

I find it easier in New Leaf, I've already caught 3 bees so far. However, none in the Gamecube version yet. Too bad! :(

Everything is easier to catch in NL than the GCN version, I thought this was actually a fact more than an opinion.

But anyway I never caught a Bee in the original, among other things. Caught a handful in NL though.

Everything is easier to catch in NL than the GCN version, I thought this was actually a fact more than an opinion.

But anyway I never caught a Bee in the original, among other things. Caught a handful in NL though.

This is so true, it`s disappointingly easy to catch the insects in New Leaf, I only ever caught one bee in the Game Cube version. It was frustrating.

Catching bees in the original is easier than WW or CF.

Step 1. shake tree.
Step 2. take a few steps away (you need some space to run).
Step 3. open inventory and equip net.
Step 4. let the bees chase you a bit and then start to run in long circle around them. They cannot turn quickly so you can outmaneuver them permanently as long as you don't turn too soon.
Step 5. When you are confident they are far enough away, turn and use the net.

I haven't missed a bee in the original game for a long long time. When I do it is normally because I start turning too quickly, in which case they catch up and sting.

Last edited:
I remember that when moving between acres the rest of the game would stop running, in a way--like characters would stop walking for a moment as you moved from one acre to the next. when I used to try to catch the bees in gcn I found that that was a really common tip: hope that the tree is close to an acre border, so you can get a little jump ahead. is that proven for anyone? (disclaimer: Ive never caught those bees--new leaf is WAY easier. or maybe Im just better now than then?)

Oh god.. no... I missed all the time ;-; However, iit was fun taking out the umbrella and spinning it on them rofl

I never caught one in GC. I never knew you could. ._.

Well, I'm gonna try it out tomorrow.

I always tried in the original and failed so bad. All I had to show for my efforts was a swollen eye.

I just tried it today. I shook nearly every tree in town and I finally found bees in the last few acres. I found 5 and failed at catching every one of them. ;-;

Back