Best to Worst Animal Crossing Game

New Leaf: Do I really need to say anything about this game? Aside from the people who have their nostalgia goggles on (which is not a bad thing mind you), I have yet to see someone who thinks there's a better AC game than this. The level of overall customization is incredible, being the mayor is awesome, the new villagers are cool, etc. etc. I probably don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said, but I've had this game for 3 months and love it to pieces.

Population Growing: Since I'm probably on the younger side of people posting on this forum, this wasn't my first Animal Crossing game. This was my second, and the game I've probably played the most over the 5 1/2 years I've been playing Animal Crossing. It seems so odd compared to the other games nowadays, but it has some things I legitimately miss. For example:
-Having 15 villagers
-Wisp, who is a godsend when you haven't played in a while
-The acre system

Since they're technically the same game, I should probably mention Dobutsu no Mori e+, which I have played. It's not too different, but the added villagers are nice and being able to shop at Nook's after hours is just... odd.

City Folk: Ahh, my first Animal Crossing game. Seems like so long ago I got it that Christmas of 2008. I have mixed feelings about this game. On one hand, it was indeed my first AC game and the one that made the largest impression on me. On the other, it definitely has some flaws, such as VILLAGERS SAYING THE SAME FREAKING THINGS- sorry, that bugged me when I was 10, it still bugs me now. I actually quite like the city unlike most people, and I really liked seeing all the villagers in the square. It gave the game so much atmosphere to me, and I still think it was the best aspect of it that no other game has had so far.

I actually haven't played WW, but I think it would probably go last. The holidays are something that really makes the Animal Crossing games, and having weird, made-up holidays would probably ruin it for me.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Yes, I absolutely love this game. I love the customisation of both the furniture and the town, I love the addition of QR codes, which is amazing because it means that so many designs can be shared so easily. I love how easy it is to connect with friends, as I always found it hard to do so in City Folk and Wild World. The fact that you can become mayor, but still have three other characters is awesome too. I love the island and the island minigames, as well as all the different holidays, especially April Fools. Overall, this game is amazing, and I think it is longer-lasting for new players than the others.

Animal Crossing: City Folk
My family and I played on this game a lot. We'd sit in the living room on weekends and take it in turns to play on our own characters, go to the city, earn money and pay off our loans. It was something that brought our family together in a way,. as we all strived to donate enough to the town fund to get the windmill and the fountain. I really enjoyed this game, but can see why others didn't. It wasn't portable, and the dialog was very stale and repetitive.

Animal Crossing: Wild World
I played this game when I was maybe 6 or 7 and found it very difficult to earn money, so the enjoyment I had was limited. I did like interacting with villagers, but Lyle and his insurance policies creeped me out, and so did Redd. I always avoided going in his tent and didn't even open his letters after I was sold a fake painting by him.

Looking back, I can see why people prefer Wild World to City Folk, but for me, City Folk offered more enjoyment, perhaps because I was older and understood the game and the goals better, or maybe because I could play with the family more.

1. Animal Crossing Wild world
2. Animal Crossing
3. Animal Crossing New Leaf
4. Animal Crossing City Folk

New Leaf :)
GameCube, though I barely played it, it had nice little features.
WW - no holidays, but I played this for a looong time.
CF - pretty boring.

1. New Leaf
2. City Folk
3. GC
4. Wild World

tbh I love all of these game a great amount. WW is at the bottom only cause it had so many limitations compared to the others.

New Leaf- amazing in every way possible <3
Wild World- kind of ugly, but at least it's portable
City Folk- don't like it because it's not portable

1. New Leaf
So many things were added to AC with this game. Being mayor, diving, island tours etc. There are little things they changed I liked too, like the flowers being in four instead of three, and lilies and violets. Also, new personalities were added for the first time in the series, giving new dialog and villagers. Campsites make it easier to control who moves into your town, which I love. (I got one of my dreamies from the campsite) All of these things, and others which I probably forgot, are why New Leaf is the best game in the series so far.

2. Wild World
This game was the first AC game that was portable, which meant it was a lot easier to play than GameCube or City Folk. Think about it, if you wanted to play GC or CF, you had to start up your GameCube/Wii and wait for it to load. Then you have to start the game, and wait for that to load too! With WW you can just open your DS, and it's there, ready to play. This is the number one reason it's number two on this list.

The holidays (or the lack of them) didn't bug me a lot. I liked how they made up new holidays on the game. Plus, it has no grass wear, something that annoys me on CF and NL. There IS dirt everywhere though, one of the only things I dislike about this game. But, overall, WW is really the second best game in the series.

3. City Folk.
While I did start with City Folk, no portability and grass wear is what put it down here. I know grass wear is useful for making paths, but I've disliked it from the beginning. It's also a lot worse in CF than it is in New Leaf. In my first town, my grass wear was awful. I don't think it really has to be in the AC series.

The thing I DID like in City Folk was the city. A lot of people don't like it, but I loved it. You didn't have to wait forever for shops to open like in New Leaf, they were right there for you. CF was my first AC game, so I'll always have great memories of it. So even though it's 3rd, that doesn't mean it isn't a great game.

I didn't rank the GameCube AC, because I've never played it.

1. New Leaf is definitely the best game I've played so far. There's so much to do and I love all the new features and characters and how the personality types aren't as harsh and cruel as they were in previous games. It's easy to connect and play with friends, there are so many different customization options for your character and your town, and there's never a dull moment. Really a brilliant title for this series.

2. The GC Animal Crossing was my first and holds a lot of sentimental value and memories from my childhood. I love the atmosphere provided by the graphics, simplistic gameplay, and music. I have a lot of fond memories from this game.

3. I was really excited for City Folk when it first came out, and I LOVED the addition of the shopping center and the new customization and shopping options. It was so fun and exciting to be able to buy new things and explore new stores. I don't play it anymore, though.

4. Wild World was a real disappointment for me. I found it difficult to navigate and do anything, it was difficult for me to play with others, and I foumd it kinda boring. I liked some of the new dialogue paths with the villagers, but that was the only real enjoyment I got from the game.

1) Animal Crossing GC for being my first. Yeah, the other 3 released to the U.S. have more features but the GC version will always hold a special place in my heart.

2) New Leaf. So many new features and villagers. Public Works Projects and two types of online play plus the chat feature for best friends is just wonderful.

3) Wild World. I miss Gulliver in his UFO and bottled messages.

4) City Folk. I played this one less then a month. I've never been too comftorable with the wiimote. Other then that it was fun.

1) Animal Crossing: New Leaf, because I am the only person on TBT who hasn't played any of the other games.

I only played Wild World and New Leaf, so for me...
1) New Leaf- Everything is very smooth and graphics are great. Becoming mayor is a great twist to the already fun game. The new features such as being able to choose where you want your house as well as villagers having random spots it town are great compared to Wild World's set villager plots. Public works projects are a good addition too. They allow more customization to the town rather than simply allowing you to plant plants. The island and the Tours are a great addition. They allow more fun in multiplayer. And te list goes on and on.
2) Wild World- It was a really fun game. I spent countless hours playing it, but after coming from new leaf, the game was laggier. The screens were not fully utilized since you only use the bottom screen mostly. There is also a great lack in customization in town coming from new leaf. Villagers already have set plots. That is good though so it will be easier to make paths. You can't do as much in multiplayer as in New Leaf. Despites these lacks, it was still a great game for its time.

1.new leaf
2.city folk
3.wild world
4.population growing

...what? @ #4

1.WildWorld&GameCube(nostalgia reasons,k?)
2.New Leaf
3. Doubotsu No Mori e+(interesting game with changes)
4.City Yolk(Folk) (Wild World on crack.)

1. new leaf
really great. not sure if i would've played it if it was closer to the older games in style and stuff, but they added lots of new things and it's easily the best of the 4

2. population growing
nostalgia reasons i guess?? i still play it sometimes

3. city folk
first ac game i could use wifi in, i have a lot of good memories with it and played it all the time. i don't see how so many people disliked it haha

4. wild world
didn't play it too much, it was just ok compared to the others. i haven't been able to play it again since new leaf

I'm going to include some of the Japanese versions in mine.

1. New Leaf
2. City Folk
3. Animal Forest e+
4. Animal Crossing GC
5. Wild World
6. Animal Forest 64

New Leaf is great, CF was fun and I spent a lot of time on it, e+ was everything that ACGC wasn't because Japan is a bunch of mean butts, ACGC was great and I love it, WW was good but the graphics are bad and a lot of stuff just isn't there, and 64 is okay, but I can't read the Japanese - plus it has less features than all of them.

The only features the N64 version doesn't have is the real-time simulation and some residences.
It was then ported to Gamecube with the addition of a real-time clock/museum etc, (then translated into English becoming Population Growing)
The e+ version is no different from the US version of Population Growing. They're the same. In fact doubutsu no mori e+ is a direct translation of the western version, (after having been translated from doubutsu no mori+) and having been translated back into Japanese from English to include the extra Western holiday items, hence the 'e'.

This is how I'd rank them:

1. Animal Crossing: Population Growing (/doubutsu no mori e+)
Mainly because this was the game I spent the most time on and I like the integrated NES games and e-Reader/GBA features. It was fun playing NES games whilst in the game and made your house look really awesome xD

2.Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Comes as a close second to the GCN version. The graphics are amazing as is the gameplay and game features. If New Leaf had NES games, I'd of put it top xD

3. Animal Forest (doubustu no mori 64 /doubutsu no mori+)
This is a cool title. It's pretty much the gamecube version without real-time. The best thing about this version is that the villagers ask you to do more work than other titles. :)

4. Animal Crossing: Wild World
This could have been ranked higher because it was an ok game. I just didn't like the room at the top of the house where everyone had to sleep and the graphics were average. It wasn't the worst game in the world though.

5. Animal Crossing: City Folk
Another good game, but I rank it my least favourite because I hated the controls. I played it for a while but I soon got tired of pointing the wii-mote at the tv. Also this game doesn't let the villagers prompt for work as much as previous titles.

Last edited:
New Leaf, Population Growing, WW, City Folk.

New Leaf is 1st because it has seemingly surpassed the rest with customization, things to do and uniqueness of villagers. The game just feels so much better on a handheld than on a console anyway imo.

Pop. Growing is 2nd because of nostalgia factor. Was the first and I mean FIRST video game I had ever bought with my own money and I played that game until the disc was so scratched that it could be played anymore (circa 2008). Not to mention, it had a really quaint and homey feeling to it. Warms me up inside to remember those days. (I wish they would've brought back the diary function for New Leaf though.)

WW is 3rd because it was a step in the right direction for Nintendo in terms of quality and customization. Hairstyles, more furniture, lots more things and plus handheld and Wi-Fi capabilities, plus the first time you can ACTUALLY hang out in a town with friends. (no using the GC memory cards for "hanging out and visiting each others town" like what even..) but it did feel like it was missing something. (also, weeds were just HORRIBLE in this game.)

City Folk is 4th because it was a step backwards. It was exactly like WW but with a "shopping district" that was a bit over-hyped in commercials. Nintendo didn't add much other than the fact you could get your shoes changed, and a couple of new villagers(?) and furniture.

Last edited:
Back