• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are two towns possible with a digital and physical copy on one 3ds?

Thouser8751

Bells
Sorry - I posted this question incorrectly to a poll. Does anyone know if you can have two towns with both a physical and digital copy purchased and played on one 3DS. I would like to have a town that I can experiment with and not worry too much about destroying and a "real" one. I was thinking I could send stuff between the two towns.

I'm wondering this too. Though the extra data gets overwritten each time you load up the digital and then the physical for example. This includes DLC. I wondered if it would overwrite from the game with no DLC, meaning you lose it, or overwrite to put the DLC in the game that doesn't currently have it.

So yes, you can play both on the one console (my plan), but I'm not sure how the overwriting of data occurs so I won't download my digital until we know a bit more. Plus I'll get my physical copy first as it's delivered to my office, but my bundle is going to my home wich is a 2 hour drive back a couple of days later.

That is great news! I would like to have one town that I time travel in and try different "tricks" on and then my good town that I can keep pristine!

I emailed Nintendo with this very question and the answer was yes :) You can;t have 2 digital versions, but one of each is fine.

tigereyes86 - that was what I was worried about. I wanted to start playing at 11:00 pm CST on June 8th on a digital download and trying different things. I saw on youtube where you can go to your island and cut down all but two trees opposite each other and one in the middle and then catch like tons and tons or valuable bugs at midnight. Then I wanted to get all those bells and mail them to myself in my other town on the physical copy that I have to wait until 11:00 am on June 9th to get. I would be devastated though if I messed things up though.

Thouser8751; Then I wanted to get all those bells and mail them to myself in my other town on the physical copy that I have to wait until 11:00 am on June 9th to get. I would be devastated though if I messed things up though.[/QUOTE said:
can you do that? mail to another town?

Erce - I was thinking that I could either mail or gift them to another player (me!). I have watched Youtube episodes where one player went to another player's town and dropped bells on the ground for the other player. I also remember back in City Folk you could mail someone in another town a letter and attach fruit or bells. Maybe I am making this up in my head? That was the main reason I wanted two towns....to use one to get lots of bells in a way that kind of destroyed the town and then get those bells over to my "nice" town that I could expand my house quickly and get the police station and other expense community projects.

Does anyone out there know for sure if you can "gift" or "mail" other towns bells, and if so, how? I am almost positive I remember doing that somehow in City Folk.

You can only send a letter to a friend if you're in the same town. And you can't gift yourself or visit yourself if you only have 1 3ds.

Hmmm - I was hoping that I could go visit my 2nd town and just drop the bells on the ground in that town. Can't you visit other people's towns when they aren't playing and drop stuff off? I would only need 1 3ds for that, but maybe I am being too hopeful.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Or maybe I could leave it as a gift and go visit that other town in a dream and grab it and bring it back with me?

Things that happen in the dream world do not effect the original state of the town in any way.

Ah - okay. I was watching the Lin and Ko series on Youtube and they went to Aika's village and Aika had a doll all wrapped up as present when they first got into her town. I was thinking that was something she left for others who visited her village to pick up and bring back with them to their town.

Ah - okay. I was watching the Lin and Ko series on Youtube and they went to Aika's village and Aika had a doll all wrapped up as present when they first got into her town. I was thinking that was something she left for others who visited her village to pick up and bring back with them to their town.
Afraid it doesn't work like that. Whatever happens in the dream, stays in the dream. You also can't visit people's towns who haven't opened their gate, meaning they have to be online and playing. So unless you have a second 3DS you can borrow, you won't be able to gift or mail yourself anything.

I would imagine so...the same way you could have multiple physical copies of the game.

The only thing you probably can't do is have multiple digital copies....can anyone clarify on that?

But couldn't I open one town's gate (from my digital version of the game) and then stop playing that file and open up my second town (from my physical version of the game) and travel by train to the digital version's town where had I opened my gate and drop off a gift? Unless visiting another town is dependent upon a friend code (thus limiting me to 1 3ds), I would think that you wouldn't have to be actively playing the game if you left your gates open for someone to be able to enter and leave you a gift. I might be making this more complicated than necessary - but it would be great to be able to somehow get the bells from one town to another town somehow.

Unfortunately you would need another 3DS console to do so. Both games must be actively running at the same time in order to visit another town via the gates. If what you're saying worked, people would be able to wreck havoc in your town while you're offline. I'm sure you wouldn't want this. lol

Thank you for everyone's replies! This will save me from buying both the digital and physical version if I can't get bells from one town to the other without buying another 3ds. I am not that crazy! I swear that in City Folk, you could send mail with attached fruit, bells, etc. to other towns. I remember the option as "Send a gift to a friend out of town" The only "rule" was that you had to have been in their town at least one time or vice versa. They must have taken that out in New Leaf. Too bad!

Back