• Our Earth Week 2024 mini-event is scheduled to begin tonight featuring hybrid flower breeding and more -- stay tuned!

Did anyone notice something? (Regarding the new, "Special Feature" for NA)

Sam

Resident Coldplayer
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
So, if you, like me, have seen the footage posted by Jezdayy (credit to GimmeGimmeGames) of Animal Crossing at this years SXSW Gaming Expo*, you may have noticed that when the guy is talking about the HH Showcase, he mentions that he is "not allowed to go up there yet". Do you think this is because of the new 'Special Feature'?

Personally I think so! :D

*This footage can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx3Y3iMtQx4&list=UU-iNDwxETP8OAesmQlgs4Kg&index=1

A bit off topic but wow I am a little upset that the sisters are saying "oh that's kind of for a boy but I guess you can wear it". Not only that, but the comment about the Afro wig being for men is kind of upsetting too. Afros are not just a male thing. It may not be as popular now, but decades ago plenty of women wore their hair that way too.

It just seems incredibly unnecessary and a little gender stereotyping to mention if something is for a boy or girl.

And also to answer your question...

He said that they aren't able to visit that area yet and I think it might be more along the lines that you couldn't really anyway since there wouldn't be anyone for the demo to street pass with.

But it could also be for some unfinished tweaking of the non-Japanese street pass system.

He could've been on a mayoral task of going to see Tom Nook to talk about placing his house, so he can't go up there at that second.

Schim, lol when I was like 5, I thought only girls wore afros, lol!

Hey Schim!
I've always liked your icon and I thought it was fan-made.
Well I went to the local comic store and bought the third issue of Fionna and Cake and of course that was the cover art!
Best looking cover art so far :3

He could've been on a mayoral task of going to see Tom Nook to talk about placing his house, so he can't go up there at that second.

Schim, lol when I was like 5, I thought only girls wore afros, lol!
Actually Digby/Kent doesn't appear until the second or third day of playing so you need your house placed to see him

and I doubt it's the new feature. I doubt it'd stop him going into the streetpass area. He probably just didnt have any streetpasses and couldn't go there

Rewatching it, he does say he cant go there but when he talks to Digby/Kent you can clearly see he has the option to go there, he just chooses not to through the dialogue.

Last edited:
Hey Schim!
Well I went to the local comic store and bought the third issue of Fionna and Cake and of course that was the cover art!

Thank you!

Fionna and Cake has some great covers. Pretty sure this one is by Natasha. I love the fact they do incentive covers from guest artists too.

I don't like the gender stereotyping things either. The previous games got by just fine without defining an item of clothing for this or that gender. Unless "female" and "male" are themes that are to be judged by Gracie, I think it's very counter productive in our society to be applying such labels.

I doubt it's the new feature. I doubt it'd stop him going into the streetpass area. He probably just didnt have any streetpasses and couldn't go there

Rewatching it, he does say he cant go there but when he talks to Digby/Kent you can clearly see he has the option to go there, he just chooses not to through the dialogue.

Good point, but if it was just a case of not having any streetpasses, surely he would just say that he couldn't go up there? I was just curious as to why he specifically used the words "not allowed..." as if someone (Nintendo) had told him he couldn't.

A bit off topic but wow I am a little upset that the sisters are saying "oh that's kind of for a boy but I guess you can wear it". Not only that, but the comment about the Afro wig being for men is kind of upsetting too. Afros are not just a male thing. It may not be as popular now, but decades ago plenty of women wore their hair that way too.

It just seems incredibly unnecessary and a little gender stereotyping to mention if something is for a boy or girl.

But, of course, that's how we live in America. In reality, when it comes to a lot of clothing items that we see as set to one sex, there is no real rational reason why it is that way. Just like it was ridiculous that women couldn't wear pants, it's equally ridiculous that men can't wear dresses.

...But that's a whole 'nother topic. lol. It is pretty dumb that they're doing this in the game. I praised the game for allowing guys to wear skirts, but then they go and do ...this? Why? It's just going to be annoying. "You shouldn't wear this, you're a girl". That's what it is going to say. I already have one personal issue with this game, I don't need another one.

And if they (Nintendo of America) decided to remove the ability for guys to wear skirts... I swear... They will hear about it.

I don't think that it's a special feature because he even explained that it was for streetpassing

Whenever I buy something from the Able Sisters I just speed through the dialogue anyway, so I won't have to listen to "That's usually an item for women". If it ever really bothers me, I will just have a female character buy all the women stuff though and give it to me lol.

If I remember right when they announced the release date, they said there will be a us feature while the character was in the hh area. So maybe it still will be in hh?

If the feature is to do with Streetpassing I hope we get it in the EU version too as I've only had two streetpasses since I got my 3DS for my 15th Birthday and I'm nearly 17... (Both those streetpasses were from my local Game store, one of them being the demonstration 3DS and I got them on the same day!)

But, of course, that's how we live in America. In reality, when it comes to a lot of clothing items that we see as set to one sex, there is no real rational reason why it is that way. Just like it was ridiculous that women couldn't wear pants, it's equally ridiculous that men can't wear dresses.

...But that's a whole 'nother topic. lol. It is pretty dumb that they're doing this in the game. I praised the game for allowing guys to wear skirts, but then they go and do ...this? Why? It's just going to be annoying. "You shouldn't wear this, you're a girl". That's what it is going to say. I already have one personal issue with this game, I don't need another one.

And if they (Nintendo of America) decided to remove the ability for guys to wear skirts... I swear... They will hear about it.

According to Zen in another thread here, the whole male/female labeled clothing was in the Japanese version as well. Probably to help easily differentiate for the people who, for one reason or another, actually care about if they're wearing men's/women's fasion. Or maybe it DOES have to do with Gracie's fashion stuff.

There's really no need to jump the gun and get on America's case this time. They didn't do anything wrong, they just translated from Japanese. There's no signs yet that clothing is restricted to male or female players. It's the same in Japanese and English so far.

Zen's Post (so you don't have to hunt it down):
In any case, as I said before clothes have a gender collection attached to them:

- Men's
- Women's
- Unisex

Mable and Labelle will notify you during purchase of the style of clothing (modern, fancy, gorgeous, etc.) and the collection the set belongs in (mens/womens/unisex) as well as an outfit set if it belongs to one (pirate, fireman, nurse, etc.).

Any gender can wear any outfit from any collection. The main change? The way you run.

Boys and Girls have a different style of running (walking is the same for both). If you wear your gender or unisex clothing, you will run as your gender. If you wear the opposite, you will run like the other.

If the feature is to do with Streetpassing I hope we get it in the EU version too as I've only had two streetpasses since I got my 3DS for my 15th Birthday and I'm nearly 17... (Both those streetpasses were from my local Game store, one of them being the demonstration 3DS and I got them on the same day!)

Wow so sad! Add me to your list:( I will give you items:( maybe you can find 3ds groups? There's like one in my city. My city is weird. There's like only one group. The only street pass I get is my bf. I should do a run by the group when they meet lol.

Hey Schim!

Please try to stay on topic, this sort of post is best suited for a PM or Visitor Message.

Back