• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

please tell me this will STAY a rumor

ATWA

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Hacks/rumor-sony-to-combat-ps3-piracy-with-blu-ray-disc-serial-keys/

Previously we reported on a PSN ban rumor which was followed by speculation on preventing bans, and today Dutch site PS3-Sense (linked above) claims that according to SKFU Sony plans to combat PS3 piracy with Blu-ray disc serial keys.

Similar to what's been done with PC games in the past, when you buy a PS3 or PSN game you'll get a serial key with it which you can use up to 5 times.

This gives Sony a signal that you are authorized to play the game and that you have a legal copy of the game, and the serial key only works with the same Blu-ray disc with the same serial number.

To quote, roughly translated: "From a very reliable source (SKFU) we have heard a striking new feature of the PS3. The feature would be present even at the PlayStation Network but is currently still hidden.

It is a serial system which Sony will soon start working on. Since the root keys are on the street you can see every homebrew tool (including backup management) make it sound like it was made by Sony. This makes it so hard for Sony to detect and block gamers with backup managers.

The idea is that soon every Blu-ray disc, with a unique number, comes with a serial key. These serial keys then work only with the Blu-ray disc with a matching number.

Therefore, if you have bought a game and put it into your PS3 you will enable it using your serial key, and thus a signal to Sony indicates that you are authorized to play the game on your PlayStation 3.

Reportedly, any serial key may be used only five times, as many PlayStation Store downloads. Given the implementation, according to our source has already been done in the PlayStation Network, and three unknown input fields on the PlayStation Network indicates the probability that this system will be introduced is enormous."

Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks news. Also be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks Forum for updates!
This would probably do more bad than good

This was also in March's gameinformer, but I was too lazy to find the web article

Last edited:
Well, Sony has quickly become the worst company of the three within the past few months if you've been following all they've been doing.
For instance, they got the police to raid someone's house for hacking.
They also are trying to implement a spyware on PS3's so they can watch everything you do.
They ALSO are trying to get google to give up IPs of people who have watched this one video on youtube about how to hack PS3s, so they can sue the people just for watching the videos.
Don't have all the sources, but these are all from sources that I read a while ago.
Sony is ****ing crazy.

...they got the police to raid someone's house for hacking...
They also are trying to implement a spyware on PS3's so they can watch everything you do.
They ALSO are trying to get google to give up IPs of people who have watched this one video on youtube about how to hack PS3s, so they can sue the people just for watching the videos.
Don't have all the sources, but these are all from sources that I read a while ago.

Can we get any sources for any of that?

Well, Sony has quickly become the worst company of the three within the past few months if you've been following all they've been doing.
For instance, they got the police to raid someone's house for hacking.
Sony is ****ing crazy.
sadly, i'm not too shocked.

kinda mad/appalled about the spyware thing.. but it's a ps3, not my computer.
the video thing is lawlz, though.

on-topic, this is the kind of thing that will kill gamestop/local game stores.
****-ing d-r-m.
images

was trying to find the one where the consumer has an arrow through his head, BUT NO LUCK

Er, Tl;dr version?

Er, Tl;dr version?
sony's butthurt about pirates
5 user limit on each disc
serial keys for each disc

which means a used game basically has 4 or less uses. if a game really gets around, it's of no value. used game stores are gonna get screwed, after so long.

@ATWA/Psycho

Geez, i do hope that's a rumor.

sony's butthurt about pirates
5 user limit on each disc
serial keys for each disc

which means a used game basically has 4 or less uses. if a game really gets around, it's of no value. used game stores are gonna get screwed, after so long.

eg gamestop

Back