• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Gamestop/Where do you buy your games?

Callie

Ms. Jentacular
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Silver Mailbox
Do you like gamestop? If not, why? I feel like a lot of people don't like it, but I never see why. But then again, it's pretty much my only option when it comes to game buying, so I've never experienced anything else (besides occasionally online or Nintendo World)

Also, if you don't use gamestop, where do you buy your games?

I usually buy games at the following places:

GAME.co.uk
Gamestation.co.uk
HMV.com
Zavvi.com
Play.com
Amazon.co.uk
eBay.co.uk
ASDA (In-Store)
Sainsbury's (In-Store)
Tesco (In-Store)

old gba games, yes.
new games, no.

can get better deals elsewhere, just depends on where it's on sale.

Gamestop, Steam, Amazon. Pretty much no where else unless I notice a game I want in the Bargain Bin or on sale. Personally, I like my Gamestop, usually people disliking them branches from horrible service.

I used to get everything at PlayNTrade, but they went out of business. So now I only go to gamestop for preorders, and buy all other games on amazon or steam.

I usually buy at GameStop because I have store credit for them. Walmart, Target, and GameStop are right near each other, so I might as well go to GameStop if I want a game. No way are Walmart and Target better than GS.

I hate GameStop. Why? Because most of the time, their service sucks. Most GameStops I've been to just seem to not care about their customers at all. And their case system is ridiculously stupid. When I went to buy Wii Music a few years back, they forgot to put the disc in the case when I bought it! I was already in the car when I opened it up and realized that they hadn't given me the actual game!

On top of that, they rip you off if you're buying/selling used games. They overprice used games and don't give you enough money for the games you sell them. This isn't really an issue that concerns me, since I never buy used games (unless they're games for older systems that you can't buy new anymore), but I have sold a few games in my youth. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker got me a whole whopping five bucks! Yeah, totally not worth it. Especially when they turn around and sell that same last generation game for $40.

The only time I go to GameStop is if there's an exclusive preorder bonus for a game I want, or if there's a Pok?mon event. Or if they're having a midnight launch for a game or system that I must have as soon as possible, as is the case with the 3DS. Any other time, I'll just get my games at Toys "R" Us, since I get a discount. If Toys "R" Us doesn't have it, then I'll try Target, Best Buy, Costco, or Wal-mart, or an online retailer if I have to.

I love the gamestops here. Main place I get my games from. 3/4 people on the shift are usually into games and they'll talk to me and we'll have a conversation about games and stuff. When I turn 18, I'll probably end up getting a job there.

Here in Canada we like to be different and call our 'GameStops' EB Games :p Nonetheless they aren't that bad.
Although normally I'll go to places like Future Shop first because the prices are a little lower. If I really want to get a game, I go to Microplay or EB Games because they usually have it.

Though I'm really disappointed that the EB Games near my house stopped selling used DS and N64 games :/

Most of the time game stop or amazon. If I'm looking for a game not available on sale anymore, then I'll use ebay.

My Gamestop is awesome.

When I come there, I talk to the manager and some other guys and talk about the latest Nintendo news.
The Gen V discussion was the best.

I'm the only 12 year old there, and the other guys are about 14-19.
I was deemed the "Best Little Kid Nintendo Fan" for knowing more about Nintendo than the average 12 year old gamer.
My friends either never keep up with Nintendo news (that aren't from official local sources, which lag behind Japanese news) or aren't interested at all, so I'm usually alone, when it comes to game discussions.
Not at Gamestop, though.

I feel at home there.

No.

can get heaps better deals elsewhere, just depends on where it's on sale.

Basically this with my edits.

Like Animal Crossing Wild World - Gamestop/EB Games = $69.95 AUS
Toys R Us = $39.95 AUS (brand new)

Gamestop or Target.
Target's in walking distance, but they usually don't have what I want. =T

I buy alot of my games from a small local games shop which is near the back of town. But thats PURELY for old Pre-owned and old DVDs.

Otherwise I hit up Game/Gamestation

Gamestop, Steam, Amazon. Pretty much no where else unless I notice a game I want in the Bargain Bin or on sale.
This O:

A lot of the Gamestops I've been to have ripped me off/had terrible service, but I'm too lazy/impatient to go elsewhere. :c

@ tye, selling games, and the product protection plans that come with them, is their only source of income. think of them as a pawn shop that's only for games.

the markup is a ripoff, but it's how they stay in business.

gba games are like $5, and i don't mind paying that much for the few kickass ones (castlevania: circle of the moon, golden sun, etc)

but yeah. anything this-gen/easily buyable online is a ripoff, and i wouldn't give them my used games. ever.

oh, and @ jasonburrows.. i think.
steam is an online digital distribution platform, which is a fancy term for online video game store. you download a client, and make an account. at that point, you can buy games, download demos/mods, and manage your game library in the nifty steam client. there's a "community profile" page for you, friends list/chat (including groups and group chats), and lots more neat-o stuff like betas and LOTS of sales on PC games.

worth a shot. alien swarm is free. :)

Last edited:
Back