• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Portal 2!

Sporge27

Retired Staff
Orange 🍊
Persimmon 🍅
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
November Birthstone (Topaz)
Cake
Red Candy
Well it is up for preorders, already did :p

This is about the one game I have really been looking forward to in forever!

I played the game tag which is where all the people making the paint stuff came to valve from, and I like it, so with any luck portal 2 will be as good as I am hoping.

I may be hoping for too much though D:

Any of you guys looking forward to it?

i'm looking forward to it going on sale.
i'm not paying $50/$45/$40 for a portal game, fully fleshed out or not.

i played tag, loved it, but i'm not sure how the paint/gel is going to work/mesh with portal. i know it's going to be big.. but i see it as being a bit too complicated.. when you consider the double portal flings and aiming them while in-air.. all that.

i dunno. looking forward to it, but not enough to warrant the price.
unless there are hats.

Grabbing the PS3 version. Two copies of Portal 2 for the price of one? Yes please. :>

I don't know if I will get it. I like Portal, but I just have a hard time getting invested in it. So maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell.

i played tag, loved it, but i'm not sure how the paint/gel is going to work/mesh with portal. i know it's going to be big.. but i see it as being a bit too complicated.. when you consider the double portal flings and aiming them while in-air.. all that.

unless there are hats.

This sums me up. I'll wait until the summer if I have to, but I'm not paying anything more than $30.

unless there are hats.

I agree, I loved Portal and want to play Portal 2, but the price seems a bit over the top so I'm debating whether or not to get it.

WHOO!! I'm so going to go preorder this when I get some more money.

By the way, did anyone hear what is currently being planned for on the PS3? Apparently they are going to make the PS3 version equivalently as awesome to the PC version. Basically they said they will allow PS3 players to chat to people on Steam on the PC AS WELL as cross-platform multiplayer!
I also heard that if you buy it on the PS3, you can get it on Steam for free as well, but something tells me that might not happen.

I'm praying these features will be on the Xbox 360 version because that would suck big time for me. It would only seem fair to include it, but who knows...

the price over the top really?

Many console games are 60 bucks standard now, and at least on the PC it is only 50, 45 for preorder currently. It has been said that it will be no where near as short as the first one, and really is probably worth it.

Many console games are 60 bucks standard now, and at least on the PC it is only 50, 45 for preorder currently. It has been said that it will be no where near as short as the first one, and really is probably worth it.
i totally understand that they have to price it as it is.. a full game.. but i personally am not willing to pay that much for it.
i know it will be longer than the first.. much longer.. and i hope it has a better mod community than what the original portal had (i played about 3 good custom maps, which were decent), if only because clever puzzles are always fun.
i know it will be a good game.. or hope, at least.. but i'm not paying that much for a story-based game like that. even with co-op.. it doesn't have the replayability games like l4d have, simply because there has to be set stages, instead of randomly generated action.

i dunno. i'll see, i guess. i may end up getting it.

@ the ps3 "rumor", it's true. steamworks will be integrated into portal 2 for the ps3, and people who buy (& assuming login) through the PSN/steamworks addition to the ps3, will somehow get portal 2 added to their PC-side steam account.. from what i've heard.

maybe not, but that's how i understand it.

this does not mean you get two copies for the price of one, this means you get to play it in two places at once. i can't see them allowing co-op play on the PS3 and PC using your same account, though splitscreen on the ps3 will probably be there.. assuming.

No im not getting this just for the portal badge but can i get the portal badge (for tf2) if i buy the ps3 version?

As Psychonaut said, I can see why it's priced as a full game now but I've personally never viewed Portal as more than a fun side game of real full game like Half-Life. Even if Portal 2 is making it longer and giving it a deeper story, I still feel like it shouldn't be priced like a full game.

Just my opinion and I may end up getting it also, but as of right now I don't feel compelled to pre-order. Maybe once it's released and I see more gameplay of it I'll be convinced.

No im not getting this just for the portal badge but can i get the portal badge (for tf2) if i buy the ps3 version?
Actually we still don't know what the significance of the Portal badge is. But I wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with the release of Portal 2. I am either betting it will do with preorder promotion or maybe an achievement unlock (like the Alien Swarm parasite hat)
Also I'm not sure about that second question. It all depends on how Valve is going to be distributing that item.

I'm also going to say this again, but I really hope the 360 version is going to get the PC linkup feature the PS3 is getting. That'd be plain unfair if we didn't.

I'm also going to say this again, but I really hope the 360 version is going to get the PC linkup feature the PS3 is getting. That'd be plain unfair if we didn't.

It won't. Only the PS3 will be getting the suite of Steamworks features. (steam chat, cross-platform co-op, free SteamPlay copy for PC/Mac, possibly free DLC) I find it quite interesting considering Gabe Newell's past comments of the PS3... "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels"

Also for those of you assuming there will be a Portal 2 TF2 hat/badge/item, it isn't actually confirmed. You might end up empty handed(or headed)!

In the spoiler below, I present videos!

WHOO! I just prepurchased Portal 2 on the PC today :D I've now got an extra copy of Portal. I think I'm going to give it to my friend.

Although this was seriously an impulse buy. If they implement the "If you buy it on the home console, the PC version is free of charge" on the 360, that may mean I'll have to spend another 45 dollars. I seriously doubt Microsoft will allow Valve to have their PC customers download a 360 game for free.
Meh, at least I'm supporting the developers.

EDIT:
@Justin: I can't remember where I got that info, but I do recall seeing it. I'll see if I can find it again

Edit once more:
Found the link
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-18-portal-2-ps3-steam-cross-platform-play

Last edited:
You clearly misunderstood the if I said in my original post. I'm aware they haven't said anything about whether they'll support that. I said IF they did.

i think it's fair enough.. ps3 didn't get left 4 dead.. that was kinda unfair.

two wrongs don't make a right, but at least they're spreading the love around.

they may add in some kinda steamworks feature for the xbox release.. but i'm not holding my breath.

i think it's fair enough.. ps3 didn't get left 4 dead.. that was kinda unfair.

two wrongs don't make a right, but at least they're spreading the love around.

they may add in some kinda steamworks feature for the xbox release.. but i'm not holding my breath.

I just hope they release the next left 4 dead on ps3 and maybe add l4d1 and 2

Back