• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

OnLive offers 12 free full games until January 31st!

Nic

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
For two weeks starting today Onlive is running a beta for its playback service which allows users to play 12 full games. This requires no credit card or real personal information.
All you need to do is:

1. Create an account at http://onlive.com
2. Download the Launcher
3. Start the Launcher and sign in
4. Go to my games Subscribe to the Playpack Beta
5. Enjoy playing your 12 free games

The list of games are at the bottom of this post.

If you don't the system requirements they will also be on the bottom of this post. Thank you for taking your time and reading this. : -)

Onlive is a new gaming service that offers cloud-based games service. You can sample, rent, and purchase games on-demand. And you can play full games without downloading the game or using any disc. (Also it note it takes my computer computer like 15 seconds to load a full game like Fear 2). You just need to at least meet the minimum system requirements below.

On a PC or Mac:
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

* Internet Connection: 3 Mbps wired or Wi-Fi connection
* Operating System: Windows 7 or Vista (32 or 64-bit) or XP SP3 (32-bit), Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later
* Computer: Most PCs and netbooks, all Intel-based Macs
* Screen Resolution: 1024x576

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

* Internet Connection: 5 Mbps wired or Wi-Fi connection
* Operating System: Windows? 7 or Vista (32 or 64-bit) or XP SP3 (32-bit)
* Mac? OS X 10.6 or later
* Computer: Dual-core PCs, all Intel-based Macs
* Screen Resolution: 1280x720

Last edited:
I still don't fully understand this service. It allows you to play games online, but the actual processing and whatnot is done "in the cloud"? Doesn't this cause massive amounts of lag?

I'm not sure. I really haven't used this service but reviewers I've heard the service is real nice if you have the best specs.

I still don't fully understand this service. It allows you to play games online, but the actual processing and whatnot is done "in the cloud"? Doesn't this cause massive amounts of lag?

Depending on your connection, it's said to be fine.
I just don't like the whole idea and isn't for me. You want to cancel your account? Well, now you aren't allowed anything you've purchased.

Depending on your connection, it's said to be fine.
I just don't like the whole idea and isn't for me. You want to cancel your account? Well, now you aren't allowed anything you've purchased.

Using Steam is a lot like that as well, though.

I tried it out and played a couple of games of UT 3. It was not laggy at all, but I am on a very fast campus connection (most students are away on break, so it can get very fast speeds.) If I understand it right, the game's processing and what not takes place "in the cloud" so to speak, so all you need is the ability to play video and a fast connection. No need for a fancy video card or processor.

I think.

Using Steam is a lot like that as well, though.

I tried it out and played a couple of games of UT 3. It was not laggy at all, but I am on a very fast campus connection (most students are away on break, so it can get very fast speeds.) If I understand it right, the game's processing and what not takes place "in the cloud" so to speak, so all you need is the ability to play video and a fast connection. No need for a fancy video card or processor.

I think.
right, but with steam, you can always play in an offline mode, since it only acts like a library or what have you. unless you're playing a game with steamworks or whatnot.
you don't HAVE to play TF2 while connected to steam, but you can't play on any VAC servers, and you won't have a backpack.
you don't HAVE to play L4D while connected to steam, but you couldn't use steamworks to carry over your keyboard config.

you'd still be able to play them as long as they're on your computer, whether or not you can connect to steam.

and i think what the service would do is basically act as a hard drive for you. it would stream the content onto your computers memory as you play, so instead of loading off your hard drive, you're downloading from their servers. you'd still need to be able to run the games, assuming. bleeding edge **** no doubt, but sounds a bit fragile, imo.

right now i think i have a 1mbps connection, max. this seems a bit advanced for most people, gonna stick with steam for now. thanks for the heads up, though.

right, but with steam, you can always play in an offline mode, since it only acts like a library or what have you. unless you're playing a game with steamworks or whatnot.
you don't HAVE to play TF2 while connected to steam, but you can't play on any VAC servers, and you won't have a backpack.
you don't HAVE to play L4D while connected to steam, but you couldn't use steamworks to carry over your keyboard config.

you'd still be able to play them as long as they're on your computer, whether or not you can connect to steam.

and i think what the service would do is basically act as a hard drive for you. it would stream the content onto your computers memory as you play, so instead of loading off your hard drive, you're downloading from their servers. you'd still need to be able to run the games, assuming. bleeding edge **** no doubt, but sounds a bit fragile, imo.

right now i think i have a 1mbps connection, max. this seems a bit advanced for most people, gonna stick with steam for now. thanks for the heads up, though.

That's all fine, but it's not relevant to what I was saying. What I was saying is that you don't "own" a game that you buy off of Steam in any physical sense, either.

I tried to play Frontlines (a game I already know sucks - I played a demo of it two years ago,) and it gave me a CD key error. Lawl.

That's all fine, but it's not relevant to what I was saying. What I was saying is that you don't "own" a game that you buy off of Steam in any physical sense, either.
i thought you meant/were comparing how the games were stored.
if you wanted physical media, you could back it up or burn it to a CD, though yes, it is the same in that respect, unless you want to bring up that it's being stored on your hard drive.
i've been interested in this, before.. and i haven't looked into it enough to be an authority on the subject, but what's the whole policy on ownership if you buy a console version of something as compared to a digital version?
you don't own the game, so much as you own a copy of it, and the license to play it, but not to distribute the intellectual property.. hence you don't really own the game so much as the physical media it's copied on.

or something like that. it's a far comparison, and i'm not well versed in that respect, but the only difference would be having a CD graphic/game cartridge, and a printed booklet/instruction manual.
but eh.

i tried it, lagged a bit at first, smoothed out. didn't take the time to fine-tune the controls of the game, i'm fine without it. cool service though, if you need it on-the-fly like that.

Apparently it has a user cap. I just tried to log in and it said the service was full.

If the creators of this really want to compete with consoles, they will need a metric ****ton of servers and ****.

Back