• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

This kind of person.

Brad

Ask About Dark Candy
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Winter Mittens
Happy Home Designer Token
ぶ
う
つ
森
ど
Dark Candy
User Title Color Change
The kind of people that say a game is bad JUST because the game has bad graphics. Their minds can't be changed even if the game is fun. We have been so spoiled by good graphics that if its not the best then it ruins the game for some of us. It makes me wonder what these people would do if studios started using only 8-Bit graphics. So, do you know anybody like this? Are you somebody like this? If so are you so bad that your mind can't be changed or can your mind be changed based on gameplay? To me gameplay is the MOST important part to me, graphics will always take a backseat.

Same here. I am tired of people saying it's all about the graphics. It's all about the GAMEPLAY. Graphics, to me, is just a bonus. Sure I say ''Woah, nice graphics!'' on a video game, but I don't think it makes the game great. Personally, I'm more of an 8-bit guy myself.

You can have: Bad graphics, good gameplay. Good graphics, bad gameplay.

End of the story.

I agree, I'm tired of hearing people saying good graphics are awesome and assume the game is so great... "Dude how many hours did you spent on that level"? Not every game with great graphics is perfect. I like playing side scrolling games like mario, sonic, and etc... graphics are not the best but still have excellent gameplay. Only my words cuz I don't want to ruin the game. Kapeesh?

If we went back to 8 bit graphics, I'd probably stop playing video games. I mean, it's neat to play every once in a while but the detail is just :X

Graphics are just one quality of a video game. It's one detail on the quality of the game in relation to its time. It isn't everything, but it's a nice touch to a game.
I personally don't care too much about graphics, but they're still cool. That's probably the first thing that distracts a player.

Hate that. Belongs as you enjoy it is the main thing. The Graphics are nothing.

Graphics are kind of a big part of it. I mean, I won't hate it, but I won't necessarily like it as much.

Yes, gameplay.

When people complain about old games having bad games, I'd like to give them a roundhouse kick because usually they're talking about games that had the best of graphics in the time they were released.

And most of the time they talk about bad graphics, they're talking about bad graphics in Nintendo games and comparing them to CoD graphics.
And then I come in and say that Nintendo graphics are usually cartoonish.
And that's when they talk about Nintendo being kiddy and not bloody and gorey.

The horror of arguing about Nintendo.

[Nook said:
,Jan 4 2011, 10:24:54 PM]Yes, gameplay.

When people complain about old games having bad games, I'd like to give them a roundhouse kick because usually they're talking about games that had the best of graphics in the time they were released.

And most of the time they talk about bad graphics, they're talking about bad graphics in Nintendo games and comparing them to CoD graphics.

But Nintendo is kiddy and not bloody and gory. :L

FarrenTheRobot said:
[Nook said:

Not kiddy, for everyone.

E for everyone, and occasionally T for Teens.

EVERYONE.

Not K for Kids.

[Nook said:
,Jan 4 2011, 10:45:38 PM]
FarrenTheRobot said:
[Nook said:

Not kiddy, for everyone.

E for everyone, and occasionally T for Teens.

EVERYONE.

Not K for Kids.
Alright so, let's compare:

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Nintendo</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">
super-mario-galaxy-2-review.jpg
</div>Here is some art for Super Mario Galaxy 2. Note the bright colors, unrealistic graphics, and made-up creatures. Such would be for a child's imagination of a world. Violence is not bloody or gory. Also, the game is rated E, making it accessible to children.
<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Call of Duty: Black Ops</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">
standard_Call_of_Duty_Black_Ops__(01).JPG
</div>Here is a screenshot of Call of Duty: Black Ops. The game has realistic graphics, violence, and enemies. It is bloody and has some gore. It is rated M, meaning that it is accessible to people ages 17+ (minus parents buying it for younger children and the like).

Now, ask anyone which would be more suitable for a child to play.

But it can be played by anyone, kids to grownups. To me, the less realistic, the more fun because you can't do that cool Mario stuff in real life.

true bad graphics don't always make a bad gameplay experience, but if the graphics aren't polished enough to not be *censored.2.0*, then the gameplay will more likely be worse.

think of it this way. if they take the time to flesh out the gameplay well enough, chances are the graphics will in some way help the gameplay. team fortress 2 was a good example, since it's a very basic red vs blu, and all of the classes are wildly exaggerated for easy targeting (ex: heavy is huge, scout is small, soldier has a huge rocket lawnchair, engineer has hard hat, etc) and great visual appeal. it aids both gameplay (due to easy recognition) and the art style as a whole (since they all look good/well enough), and without both points, the game would suffer on the whole.

bad graphics don't always make a bad game, but they sure as hell don't help the game to be any better.

I also think there's a difference between high definition and good graphics. a game can be low-res and still look beautiful (super nintendo still looks wonderful imo, aside from the polygon/super FX games), and an HD/1080P high res game can look beautiful or awful.

tl;dr: assuming graphics don't have anything to do with games/gameplay isn't the correct path to take, but neither is bad graphics making a bad game.

I sometime really care about graphics. If It isn't good, I probably can't see the damn screen. What happened if you can't see anything basically? Still call it a good game? I wouldn't.

Ricano said:
Graphics are kind of a big part of it. I mean, I won't hate it, but I won't necessarily like it as much.
Pfft. Not in my eyes.

I've shown quite a few people Minecraft, and their first reaction is usually along the lines of "eurgh these graphics are terrible" and they instantly decide the game is bad.
But then I get them to have a go on my copy and they're all like "holy *censored.2.0* this game is amazing"

Yeohkei said:
Too many graphic whores these days...
^

I heard Nintendo's gonna make Wii HD to shut up these graphic-fags. But I think they canceled it, I really don't know.

Back