Should Disney have a gay princess?

thisistian

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Pear (Fruit)
White Rose
I just think that they should since people are more secure about being gay and that we should teach kids that it is OK to be gay. I also think it'll make it easier for people to come out as they will have a role model.

What do you guys think?

I think more diverse movies are in order. Gay princes/princesses, maybe somebody who is acknowledged as transgender by the people instead of sneaky crossdressing, people who aren't skinny as heck, a black princess who isn't turned into a frog for most the movie, etc. A lot of social issues can be tackled if Disney does movies off them.
Love this topic! Most of my friends are LGBT so I'm glad to see others on this forum who support it!

Last edited:
sure but the risk of it sucking would be really big and i don't think they would take the responsibility to handle the situation.
it'd be a big thing in media and homophobes would get a lot of space to talk about their hatred, there is never a good "discussion" when someone is discussing the morality of lgbt representation (especially in children's media) it's always just people who are like "well i hate gay people and want them to die and my children bradley and kaiyhleigh would be traumatized if they saw a gay person so it's wrong". it's just hate speech being labeled as a discussion and would hurt lgbt people.

a disney film with a gay lead would cause a lot of discussion and hate while not touching on issues with homophobia because that's just not happening lol. it's enough for disney to sell representation and diversity to be seen as Woke, they don't need to go into the issues the marginalized people have and i really don't think they would since that'd cause an even bigger backlash from homophobic parents and whomstever else getting upset about it.
like, i think it would be a bad stereotypical movie that would be praised to heaven for being so accepting and diverse lol.

don't get me wrong, i think it would be great but i just don't see it happening and if it were to happen i don't think it would be done in a responsible way. maybe i'm being cynical lol idk i just hate when companies use diversity or marginalized groups as a selling point. (like "look this kid has two dads NOW BUY OUR PRODUCT WE ARE A GREAT COMPANY" or lgbt baiting or whatever.)

sure, why not. i'm always up for more diversity in everything, even if it's using marginalized groups as a selling point. it's good that we live in an age where that is possible, instead of every movie catering to straight white males.

Who cares what Disney does with their movies? They're just cartoons/ cg characters that are in no way realistic, and shouldnt be used as role models. Parents and actual adults in kids' lives should be their role models. Also WHY does sexuality have any place at all in kids shows/ movies?

Also WHY does sexuality have any place at all in kids shows/ movies?

As long as kids shows/movies are going to feature heterosexual romance, they should feature homosexual romance as well. I honestly agree that sometimes romance is really unnecessary in kids movies, but it's not fair if people (I'm not accusing you, just people in general) start saying "why is sexuality content in kids movies necessary?" only when a homosexual couple is featured. That sends the message that being straight is normal and ok while being not straight is something taboo that kids shouldn't know about. And lbr, people are never going to stop putting heterosexual undertones in kids movies, so in that case there should indeed be homosexual characters in kids movies in order to teach kids that all orientations are normal and ok.

Why not?

But yeah as for eg. Disney or whatever it might me like "buy bait" for people to buy merch or watch that movie just because it's about a gay princess and not because it's a good movie. And chances are they might fail. But sure, come up with a good idea and it might just make it.

Eh, if they want to. Yea it's normalized now, but that doesn't mean people have to make movies based on it. Plus showing kids movies with a gay couple or whatever is going to do jack s*** to change how they think. Kids don't care who or what other people like, their opinions will more than likely be based solely off of their parents and the people they're close to. Showing them a movie isn't going to change that.

Last edited:
It's not a bad idea, but I'd rather have a bisexual character. It's just that I wish bisexuals like myself had more representation in the media. It's not bad to have gay characters, but there just never seem to be any that are bi.

Eh, if they want to. Yea it's normalized now, but that doesn't mean people have to make movies based on it. Plus showing kids movies with a gay couple or whatever is going to do jack s*** to change how they think. Kids don't care who or what other people like, their opinions will more than likely be based solely off of their parents and the people they're close to. Showing them a movie isn't going to change that.

actually representation does matter. it can give gay kids someone to relate to and kids in general are open minded or at least just accept things, so if they learn about the existence of gay people and are taught that it's good they will probably be more Nice about it.

Only if it wasn't a gay movie. I want a movie with gay characters, not a movie that is all about being gay. That's just cheap and commericial bait.

all the disney princesses are gay if you're not a ****ing coward

sry if i sound dumb, but what does this mean?
this is a good thread btw. i enjoyed the responses.
i think it would be fun to see them try.
besides i've seen plenty of gay characters in kids shows and there's never any fuss about it.

sry if i sound dumb, but what does this mean?
this is a good thread btw. i enjoyed the responses.
i think it would be fun to see them try.
besides i've seen plenty of gay characters in kids shows and there's never any fuss about it.

have they ever explicitly said that the disney princesses are cisgender and heterosexual?

Last edited:
Back