Lucky Lollipop
Spectral Preserves
Gastly Halloweaster Egg
Pumpkin Glow Wand
Key to Bell Tree Manor
Ghostly Preserves
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Hybrid Rose
Yeah this is probably a question people get asked too many times but why do you play the game?

I originally played it cause I remembered playing Wild World and City Folk and how fun that was so I just had to get it. Nowadays I play it because it's so relaxing and helps to curb anxiety and depression. Plus.. it's still just fun.

I play ACNL cause my home life ain't great, but I want to move out on my own and be a wonderful adult on my own. When my chara moves out on her own, and becomes so important...it strikes a chord with me.

The reason I continue to play on a daily basis is simple: I suffer from depression and almost crippling social anxiety, so having these adorable characters who are always happy to see me and don't judge me is very relaxing and soothing.

And it's certainly cheaper than Prozac and therapy.

I play it because it's such a lovely distraction from the real world, I've loved it ever since I played WW and I've been hooked ever since. The community is wonderful too!

I have a lot of RL problems, with anxiety, etc.
Animal Crossing has helped me get through the days, years even. Since 2005.

I love fishing, and wildlife of any kind, and to be able to fish, hunt bugs, even design my own personal paradise.. tis a dream come true, and the perfect escape from the sometimes 'harsh reality' of my real life. ^_^

Last edited:
It really is a helpful game with anxiety isn't it? I feel like it also teaches responsibility. You may not be doing much in your real life so instead you play this game to do daily tasks. It's motivating, to see these tasks eventually pay off.

I work with a rude, unappreciative public every day. It's nice to come home to my villagers who get excited over trading their polka-dot shirt for my conch shell. lol

I work with a rude, unappreciative public every day. It's nice to come home to my villagers who get excited over trading their polka-dot shirt for my conch shell. lol

Lol, ditto. I work so much, this game is just a nice distraction. Plus, I like that it's not stressful and it's an overall easygoing game.

like others i have depression and anxiety. i love animals and nature but my cats passed away and i live in an apartment in the middle of town so having my little village to visit every day is medicine for my soul. certainly helps more than the medicine my doctor prescribes...!

Because I love my villagers
and my real life is boring
so, like animes, cartoons, movies, Animal Crossing is a form of escapism for me, I guess.

I play it because it is something for my hands to do when nobody needs me. This videogame connects me to nintendo and my previous life. This is also my last serious, hardcore "voyage" with a videogame. I finished the Pokedex with pokemon (minus sun and moon because I havent got it yet). So once I complete the badges from Phineas I will be set! I will be free!!

7ccaf9ea9be6b9cb4fb9843d15631e96.jpg

I was really into wild world when it first came out. That was my first AC game. When I saw they were making ACNL for 3ds I bought a 3ds just to play it. Originally I wanted to play it because of the nostalgia but I was surprised how long it kept my interest for.. I love the customisation aspect of it and my interest in it only got bigger after I got happy home designer/WA update came out and became obsessed with making rooms in my town (before I wasn't that interested in it). That's probably my favourite aspect of the game right now. When I'm on Hiatus on ACNL I like to go on HHD and just make random rooms lol.

I have loved this game since 2002, and helps me deal with a generalized anxiety disorder, PTSD, and depression on top of a chronic illness that can suck the joy out of things. It's so happy and bright and allows me to exercise my creativity with the various designing aspects it offers. I also love the kind of zen fishing zone I get into when I play lol. It helps me to focus, regroup, and relax at those times when the anxiety and PTSD episodes try to take over.

I originally got New Leaf because I was so in love with the Gamecube game and Wild World as a kid. But now I'm really just attached. The music is great, I love my villagers, and everything is just so cute. It's a really good "chilling out" game, which is something I know I need.

Relaxing in a way I guess... I mean sometimes it's a chore but way more nice to play and not some elitist MMO stuff I have to game at 2 am.

Same with the others, I benefit from the relaxing nature of the game.

It's definitely a distraction though, and I need to curb how much time I spend playing it so I can pay attention to my life.

Best thing about NL is the cuteness and the peace. I don't enjoy the violence in video games in general. If pokemon didn't involve so much battling I would like it more.

AC games are pretty therapeutic. I love how you can do whatever you want at your own pace.

I usually have a video game that I'm really into and play every day, and that used to be Overwatch. But being a stressful competitive game, it started to frustrate me so much that I would be in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I realized this was unhealthy and stopped playing but I still needed something to spend my time on, so I thought, why not go the opposite route and play a cute, peaceful game? So I loaded up my old New Leaf cartridge and started a new town, and I've been really enjoying it. It's such a nice way to relax after school, and I like the routine and slow pace of it.

I've also noticed a recurring theme in this thread is that AC helps a lot of people cope with mental illnesses like depression and anxiety, and I think it's really nice that a game can help with that.

Back