• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Why aren't my villagers celebrating their birthdays anymore?!

HopeForHyrule

Bunny Fanatic
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
2496-6703-5894
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Timmy Christmas Doll
Winter Mittens
I mean, seriously! The other day it was Genji's birthday, and he wasn't in his house. Today it's Francine's birthday and guess what? Not in her house!

Is this happening to anyone else, or is Bunifrey just "special"?

Are you sure your town's date and the rl date match up? Are your gates open when you try going to their parties?

I don't TT and yeah, it's the right date. The bulletin board even has Francine's birthday listed. It's just really weird...

Same thing happened awhile back with Graham, too. And that was in a different town/cartridge.

That's really strange..
The other day it was Genji's birthday in my town too, but he was in his house

Did either of them send you a invite to their parties? Maybe because you didn't get one, they didn't celebrate (mailbox full or something).

Did either of them send you a invite to their parties? Maybe because you didn't get one, they didn't celebrate (mailbox full or something).

That... actually sounds like a really good explanation. My mailbox IS full.

Just checked, and yep! The last birthday invite I got was for Ruby's on 12/25. Still can't say for sure, but this theory definitely seems the most logical.

Guess now I have a reason to keep my mailbox empty!

That... actually sounds like a really good explanation. My mailbox IS full.

Just checked, and yep! The last birthday invite I got was for Ruby's on 12/25. Still can't say for sure, but this theory definitely seems the most logical.

Guess now I have a reason to keep my mailbox empty!

Aha, that seems to be a common theme! I searched around for someone with your problem and came across this post and they said their mailbox had been full as well, hopefully that's all it is~

Last edited:
I mean, seriously! The other day it was Genji's birthday, and he wasn't in his house. Today it's Francine's birthday and guess what? Not in her house!

Is this happening to anyone else, or is Bunifrey just "special"?

I know why, as it's just happened with Chelsea, and a few others.

The reason they are outside, is they are going to ping to move.
Once they've done that, they will be inside when you load your game, and they'll be celebrating their birthday(s).

IKR?
I thought NL would be different from WW that way, and stop villagers packing/pinging to move on their birthdays. :(

I know why, as it's just happened with Chelsea, and a few others.

The reason they are outside, is they are going to ping to move.
Once they've done that, they will be inside when you load your game, and they'll be celebrating their birthday(s).

IKR?
I thought NL would be different from WW that way, and stop villagers packing/pinging to move on their birthdays. :(

This wasn't the case with Francine, considering that three of my other villagers gave the random "rumor talk" that didn't involve someone planning to move. So I'm definitely of the mind that it was because my mailbox was full and I didn't get an invite to their party.

Oh.
I get the rumor talk, and villagers still ping to move the same day.

I do TT a bit though!

Last edited:
I can now officially confirm that villagers will NOT have their birthday party if your mailbox is full and you didn't get an invitation.

After clearing out my mailbox earlier today and logging back in just now, Francine's birthday invite was waiting for me, and now she's celebrating her birthday with Coco!

I can now officially confirm that villagers will NOT have their birthday party if your mailbox is full and you didn't get an invitation.

After clearing out my mailbox earlier today and logging back in just now, Francine's birthday invite was waiting for me, and now she's celebrating her birthday with Coco!

Excellent.
That's good to know. ^_^

Isn't it kind of amazing that an almost five year old game has mechanics that we're just now discovering?

Back