• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Boyfriend is treated unfairly unlike his sister

Acnl_starfall

Acnl addict
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
October Birthstone (Opal)
Red Cosmos
Tasty Cake
So I have been dating my bf for at least a year we are both still in high school and live at homel. His family is really nice to me and have a mutual relationship. Unlike my family where he talks to my parents about everything and is really good friends with my sister. I have realized this for a while but his parents treat him like nothing. He has a sister that is one year older than him and obviously like her better than him. Here are a few examples:

1.If she has something big due the next day shes allowed to stay home (unlike my boyfriend that isn't) and then his parents rub it in his face saying things like "See your sister gets to do this because she is good at school unlike you" and that really makes him feel bad

2. My bf is always stuck cleaning up and doing chores more than her, and when he brings this up his parents deny it. one time he got stuck cleaning up after her and her friends.

3. His parents will cook food for her but he is stuck feeding himself

3. Whenever me and my bf go out his mom always asks his sister if she wants us to pick her up anything, but when she goes out and we ask her to grab something his mom gets mad at us for being selfish

4.Today they were pissed at him and calling him a disappointment and yelling and he started crying (Usually he doesn't cry) I was on facetime calming him down and his dad heard us and got mad at us. and he hung up on me and I broke down and cried because I cant deal with him being treated like this.

5. They are really lazy as well. They will not drive him anywhere because they do not wanna drive. Also my boyfriend has really bad scoliosis and they will not take him to the doctors or hospital even though he is in so much pain he can't even sit

I feel so bad for him as he is an amazing guy and deserves so much better. My parents love him and cherish him and he is one of my sisters best friends.
I really want him to live with me but that is impossible but I just don't know what to do, I just feel so bad

You're both very young. It's something he's gonna have to deal with on his own. Once he's old enough, he can leave, and in the meantime, you'll just have to be supportive of him and give him as much emotional support as you can. There's nothing you need to do here.

The parents are just awful, playing favorites and treating him like that. No child should have to endure living in that kind of family. Like Bowie said, you just need to be very supportive of him. It's despicable for parents to act this way. My heart goes out to him.

Last edited:
Parents like that give me a stomach ache. There is never a good excuse for any of that (that I can think of, only coming from a third party though). But it's unfair nonetheless.

I guess for now, make it as a drive to work hard in finding a new place in the future* (at a healthy pace, don't rush anything, especially at so young). Keep your heads up <3

Last edited:
Yikes. Just tell him that if he works his butt off to go out and do something he loves then his parents will come running back to him. :')

yikes those parents Suck

idk if theres much any of you can do to change his parents (because that’s probably not possible, they have to decide to change on their own and since they’re bad people i don’t see that happening but idk) but you can try to make sure he doesn’t have to be with them a lot by maybe inviting him over to your house a lot and support him to stand up for himself.

one of my cousins is treated unfairly by his parents, he has some behavioural problems and isn’t the nicest person ever but he has always been treated worse than his siblings have, even when he was like 10. the entire extended family agrees that his parents are treating him badly and encouraging the other siblings to be mean to him and my mom and grandma have spoken to my aunt (the parent) about it bit she always gets super defensive about it and says that they don’t know what it’s like. i think my aunt tries to think about not being too harsh on their son but her husband is a bully who hates being told that he’s wrong lol.
there’s not a whole lot they’ve been able to do but my grandma is really close to the badly treated cousin and on family get togethers people sometimes speak up or say they disagree with his parents when they’re being mean, which often stops it.

idk if you could do something similar lol but i think it’s important that you support your boyfriend and maybe stand up against his parents idk

Ok this is gonna be long, but...

Your bf's problem is pretty much the same as my father! Since he's very young, his parents, especially his mom, favors his sisters more (he has 1 older sister and 1 younger sister). Luckily my dad is a free spirited, carefree guy who never let that kind of things torn him and he never let anyone bring him down, including his parents. He also got lots of friends growing up and surely that helped him a lot during the hard times.

Now since your bf got you, you just have to support him and lift him up whenever he's down, which I'm sure you already did.. Be the one who strengthen him up in times of trouble and keep his spirit high, I'm sure someone that came out alive from trials and tribulations, will become a heckin STRONG person! >:)

FYI, now my father is a successful businessman, their kids (me and my 2 siblings) attain good educations and live a happy, adequate life. My father even pays his parents medical and home bills up to this date. After whatever they've done to him, he still have some respect to them, I can't even imagine o_O But that's just one quality of a strong person, right? ;) I believe your bf will be a strong one, like my dad. I hope you two can cope. I believe you will! Just keep being supportive to each other. Oh and, if you need someone to talk to, I'm all ears, go pm me anytime :D

I find this heartbreaking... :( Just love him and support him, ok? :) I'm sure you're doing an amazing job already, since you care about him so much. :D

Last edited:
This is called the Golden Child and the Scapegoat.

Is it possible that they're living in a Narcissistic family?

This sounds just like my own boyfriend's family, it's not fun to deal with... I'm so sorry...

Last edited:
that's horrible! it sounds like those parents are playing favorites. just give him tons of care and support, okay? i'm so sorry for him having to go through this.

Back