• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Why are hacked towns the only towns people actually praise?

animalcrxssing

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Okay like for real I am on tumblr a lot and the towns that get the most "notes" are always the hacked towns and I get it they are super pretty but I always feel like hacked towns ruin the purpose of the game like there are people who work hard on there town manually and then people who hack there way to a good town. This isn't meant to shame hackers personally their towns are really nice but I wish non hacked towns would get praise to if you guys know what I mean.

I've personally never seen hacked towns get praise.

It probably has something to do with hacked towns getting more attention than the actual towns. If I ran a famous tumblr and showed my town, it would get more praise than me saying here: "here's my dream address! go check my town out!"

I get what you mean, but I don’t feel like hacking has ruined the game for me. I started playing ACNL three years ago and I got bored after a year. I left the game for a couple of months until I discovered hacking, and it made me enjoy the game again. Hacking is another way to enjoy the game, but I understand you’re upset about the lack of appreciation for non-hacked towns.

It might be because a lot of hacked towns have things in them that are not possible in normal play, which garners a lot more interest. I hack myself (my towns aren't *that* good tho haha) and I see where you're coming from, but I know lots of people who are equally, if not more impressed by non-hacked towns with a lot of effort put into them.

I personally would never hack my town, but I still think hacked towns are just more interesting to see in general - maybe that's why it receives a lot more attention.

I think it just has to do with the fact you can do so much more with hacked towns then you can non-hacked. Like you can put pwps where they aren't supposed to go (in the river/ocean, on the beach, on town plaza etc), you can have trees where they usually can't be, bushes and bamboo too, etc. There's alot of possibilities with hacking your town and people like seeing that as opposed to the same normal stuff you get with non-hacked towns.

It's more aesthetically pleasing..
I work manually on my town, and I almost always get compliments from visitors.. I wouldn't hack my town though, defeats the whole purpose of the game Imo.. But I don't care if people hack their own stuff

tbh, most of the hacked towns i see on tumblr are... not good. yeah let me place 3000 cedars and bushes so you can't move anywhere and let me ruin my river by placing a million bamboo and clovers, because it doesn't look at all out of place. i get the what they are going for but it does not look aesthetically pleasing at all :eek:

Each person has their own preference, personally I feel a town warrants a lot more praise when it becomes beautiful and special through hard work and planning and not through hacking, but I do see the allure in exploring new possibilities, especially for a game this old where some people have already done all there is to do through normal means.

I never praise them.
I think they're hideous.

They just drop a seed, and don't have to really work at anything. :-/

I never praise them.
I think they're hideous.

They just drop a seed, and don't have to really work at anything. :-/
I don’t mean to start a fight, but hacking is actually pretty hard and frustrating. ^^’

I don't care if people hack their towns but I think hacking a game like Animal Crossing is like giving a Barbie doll a boob job.....sure it looks nice but it isn't really necessary.I appreciate non-hacked towns more because I think people are forced to be more creative when they have fewer tools to work with and have to operate within the parameters of the regular non-hacked game.

I don’t mean to start a fight, but hacking is actually pretty hard and frustrating. ^^’

Coding might be, but anyone with two brain cells can work an AR. ^_^

I'm talking about actually waiting the time it takes, to accumulate all the bush starts, breed hybrids -> from scratch, and obtain all the fruits.

I grew my town.
I do TT, but I don't cheat.

Well, time traveling is absolutely cheating as well :)

in any case, I think most people don't really know what a hacked town looks like

in any case, I think most people don't really know what a hacked town looks like

But it's apart of the game...
The villagers will call you a time traveler if you do it too much.

Last edited:
I think it's because they can do things with their town that a non-hacked town couldn't do that makes it more aesthetically pleasing. For example, putting tree stumps and the log pwp close enough to the bonfire pwp that you can sit and it still looks normal xD Also, like everyone else keeps saying, you can put pwps on the beach, and whatnot, so to people with non-hacked towns, it may be curiosity that gets them more attention.

It's all about personal preference~
I love the immediately-acknowledged look of hacked towns and admire the immediately-acknowledged effort of a nonhacked town ^_^
There's more to do with hacks, so maybe that's why people love them.

hacked towns are just more interesting. people want to see weird stuff like trees in the lake and the same villagers in someone's town, you get what i mean?

- - - Post Merge - - -

it really is! i tried for hours to hack my town with homebrew and the save editor. i might just be dumb, though

No it isn't.
It's an actual part of the game.
That's why one of the villagers rumors is "I hear you're a bit of a time traveller".

They never say "Oh, you're a bit of a hacker". :-/

As a game hacker myself I see why people hack. It brings out features you normally do not see. It doesn’t automatically make it less work than non hackers. I have never hacked my animal crossing game but I have hacked games suck as sims and others. Let me tell you It takes me hours sometimes to get something done! And I get to enjoy extra features I don’t normally see. It’s not an easy thing to do. I don’t be really like any hacked town less because of it. A lot of my favorite are actually non hacked. However I don’t have anything against it and I myself don’t hack my towns. I also don’t have any objection to people hacking items for me :D

Last edited:
Back