• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Fishing Tourney Measurement Glitch?

Valzed

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
2305-9568-2503
Island
Amity
Spectral Preserves
Raven Wings Potion
Shadow Kitty Plush
Gourdy
Opalescent Crystal
Gleaming Butterfly Spirit
Black Famous Mushroom
Quirky Doll
Spirit Candy: Wix
Purple Bat Potion
So today's the Fishing Tourney. Chip wants us to catch the largest pond smelt. I caught a 6.50 inch (16.51 cm) pond smelt. When I took it to him he said it wasn't a new record. Oh, ok - no problem. But Chip then said "the best entry so far is from Molly who caught a nice 6.45 incher (16.383 cm)". Wait... what? :confused:

Now I'll admit that math is not my friend but I'm pretty sure 6.50 inches (16.51 cm) is larger than 6.45 inches (16.383 cm). I've shut down the game & my 3DS. I even took the cartridge out & blew on it. I turned everything back on and caught another 6.50 inch (16.51 cm) pond smelt and Chip said the same thing as above.

Is my math actually wrong? Am I missing something somehow? Has anyone else experienced this? Are there pond smelt large than 6.50 inches (16.51 cm)? Any advice would be a huge help. Thanks!

You're right about how you should be the larger one, though DO NOT take out your cartridge and blow on it. For one that's not gonna change anything, and secondly it'll just end up damaging your cartridge.

Maybe to earn a new record is that you have to catch another fish a certain amount higher than the last record? It makes no sense but that may be it.

Or maybe Molly is just adorable and is getting her way. It's always a possibility. Its not but I can dream...

Maybe your 6.50" pond smelt lacked the vibrancy and whatever else he tends to judge stuff based on? Or is that only with bugs?? :[

Well, at least my math does seem to be correct. I just tried to hand in a 6.47 inch (16.4338 cm) thinking that might do the trick and found out that Wolf Link handed in a 6.70 inch (17.018 cm). Why, Wolfie? Why do you hurt me like this? Sigh... Molly is quite adorable. I'd probably give in to her overwhelming cuteness if I were Chip.

I think only the bugs are judged on glossiness/color... whatever. So far Chip's just measured my fish, told me they weren't big enough & ate them.

I'm terrible at math, but why did Chip say my 6.25 in pond smelt was bigger than my 6.50 pond smelt? o_O

The decimal absolutely MUST count!

I'm terrible at math, but why did Chip say my 6.25 in pond smelt was bigger than my 6.50 pond smelt? o_O

The decimal absolutely MUST count!

I feel your pain, Jon_Snow. (And I love your avatar & title!) Soooo my tourney just ended and we held the ceremony... Wolf Link won with a 7.50 pond smelt (it must be nice to be blessed by the Goddess), yours truly came in 2nd with a 7.00 pond smelt (still didn't get a piece of furniture) and Molly came in 3rd with a... wait for it.... 6.50 pond smelt. �� Just pour that salt on the wound....

I feel your pain, Jon_Snow. (And I love your avatar & title!) Soooo my tourney just ended and we held the ceremony... Wolf Link won with a 7.50 pond smelt (it must be nice to be blessed by the Goddess), yours truly came in 2nd with a 7.00 pond smelt (still didn't get a piece of furniture) and Molly came in 3rd with a... wait for it.... 6.50 pond smelt. �� Just pour that salt on the wound....

Hehe, TY! ^_^

Shep caught a 7.50 pond smelt, and my encyclopedia record is 7.20. o_O

That's me fishing HEAPS, and he beats it, and was INSIDE the WHOLE DAY! LOL

Hehe, TY! ^_^

Shep caught a 7.50 pond smelt, and my encyclopedia record is 7.20. o_O

That's me fishing HEAPS, and he beats it, and was INSIDE the WHOLE DAY! LOL

You're welcome! JAWS is my all time favorite movie!

Seriously? He spent the whole day inside? Your wound's getting salted too!

i had a similar problem. my pond smelt had the record (6.8 in) but Diana won with her 6.65 in pond smelt. it might've been because i time traveled, but i only went back 2 hours while the fishing tourney was still going on. i didn't even get in the top 3 though, which is kind of surprising...

Last edited:
I think they're messing the decimals up.

My 6.25 beat my bigger 6.50!

I'm thinking 6.50 in the game, is really 6.05.

Again, I'm a failure at math. :D

My fishing tournament was weird this time. Gave a 17.40 fish and got 1st place. Caught another 17.40 fish and he said I got first place again. Got a prize both times.
Got 1st place at 17.40, 2nd place villager at 17.20 and 3rd place villager at 17.10.

I've done the fishing tournament before and had a higher fish that didn't count a few times. Those times a villager caught theirs before I got mine checked. Chip didn't count mine when a villager handed in a 8.20 fish and than I handed in a 8.40 fish. After I caught a 9.00 or higher than I got 1st place. It was the decimal point that caused the problem each time.

Back