Life Isn't About Just Working, Is It?

I dread going to work but payday definitely makes up for it to me! What I earn from work allows me to buy things and go places that enhance my life and make me happy, so I've learned not to resent work but to appreciate what I add to society and what I personally gain from working. I've been fired once in my life and in the month I was out of work, it felt really awful to be bound to what money I had saved and not have anywhere to be during the day, so I appreciate the job I have now even though some days are definitely better than others!

Due to my disability, I really can't work at this point in life, but I tend to think that the fact that many of us are forced to work for survival is cruel when I think more kindness and sharing on the part of the rich could feed us all. I think work should be done out of passion, not necessity, life should be about thriving, not struggling.

Life is what you make of it, but if you're at a financial disadvantage you won't be making much out of it. Or maybe not! It depends on what you think is important, and what you'd like to accomplish in your lifetime.

Life shouldn't be about work, it should be about enjoying the fact that you exist and making the most of it by doing what makes you happy. Too bad society today means more money equals less problems. People drown in student loans and debt to the point of where they need to make money or they'll end up with nothing. Plus society makes everyone already hate their lives to the point of where some people don't want them anymore that working is sometimes the only thing people are able to do.

Money doesn't fall into our laps out of thin air, so people need to work for money. A steady income means food, clothes, paying for amenities, a decent standard of living. Since work is inevitable (unless you've been born into a wealthy family that will feed you for the rest of your life), what's important is to find work that you enjoy. It's easier said than done, of course, it seems most people are not fortunate enough to have found work that gives them a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. But it should be a goal to keep striving for, for as long as you live because, most of the time, good times do come to those who put in the effort and time to better their own lives.

That's what the pragmatist in me says.

The cynic in me says, life is suffering, life is meaningless, life is simply a precondition for death. Make of it what you will, it changes nothing, unless you change yourself or your environment. (Preferably both.)

:):(

Back