• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Life Isn't About Just Working, Is It?

SoulEaterEvans

Soul Eater
Orange 🍊
Lychee 🍇
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
4021-6641-1350
Island
Amaranth
Share your thoughts and opinions with me, please, I'm quite curious.

Personally, I believe that it isn't just about that; life, to me, is about-- well, living life, doing whatever that makes you happy, really. Y'know, just enjoying and experiencing life.

I prefer to think we work to live, not live to work. ^_^

can't enjoy life without money i am a slave to capitalism

No, it is not. Many people become victim to working excessively though. Sometimes you can find a way to get out of it, but the ways to do so are so circumstantial and specific to you. Many times people work a lot earlier in their life to get ahead later in life

I'm honestly not sure how to answer this because it depends on the stage of your life. It can feel like that with a minimum wage job, or at least that's how it feels for me at the moment. But it's still too hard for me to say without sounding negative, and I know it gets better eventually if you keep going forward

Oh my god with our stupid capitalistic culture that treats work as life's fulfillment, I hate it and I rant against it whenever I get the chance. The number of people I have known who held a job at some point that drove them crazy and made them stressed/depressed even though they didn't even need the money, they just felt like they HAD to be working because that's what people do... UGH. People should not be made to feel that way.

Also every time my mom mentions something about me maybe moving away because "you never know what might happen" ie I might get a job somewhere far away... I always say no, a job wouldn't "happen to me", I would have to choose that job. I'm not going to let myself be jerked around by forces like that, I'm going to make my own decisions based on what I value, and jobs are definitely not at the top of my priority list ...

By the very definition of life that's not true. Unfortunately the definition of work (we're talking physics here) makes the opposite also be true ^-^

Last edited:
Oh my god with our stupid capitalistic culture that treats work as life's fulfillment, I hate it and I rant against it whenever I get the chance. The number of people I have known who held a job at some point that drove them crazy and made them stressed/depressed even though they didn't even need the money, they just felt like they HAD to be working because that's what people do... UGH. People should not be made to feel that way.

Also every time my mom mentions something about me maybe moving away because "you never know what might happen" ie I might get a job somewhere far away... I always say no, a job wouldn't "happen to me", I would have to choose that job. I'm not going to let myself be jerked around by forces like that, I'm going to make my own decisions based on what I value, and jobs are definitely not at the top of my priority list ...

I totally agree with ya' :)

Theres an old saying that balance is key between fun and work. Remember to enjoy life, just not to the point where you're a couch potato~

Life shouldn't revolve around work, but in this economy and the way things are, it's usually the only thing you really do, can't afford to do much else but work and sit at home. I still try to enjoy my time away from work, but with my schedule it makes it a lot harder as well, as I work weekends and nights and can't really even have a life or have friends over to hang out or anything.

So while I believe it shouldn't be about work, it often is what my life consists primarily of.

Eh well, if you need a work and you can get one, you should be grateful as long as it works for you. I mean I recently got an internship at a second hand/charity store and while it's a lot of new things to learn and remember I'm really grateful they are giving me a chance and it helps evolve me as a person. Etc.

But yeah in terms of being slave to capitalism, yeah I'd never want like an office job where you just sit and do stock exchange, that's be boring as heck so yeah that way money is NOT everything. But now I have really good co-workers and colleagues and I get to do different things and meet people which is good social training for me as well and I like the things I've tried so far. Now it's not paid iirc but yeah I really enjoy having something to do. I mean as long as you can earn your living and don't get greedy for too much work is good, but yeah you should be able to have time off.

I prefer to think we work to live, not live to work. ^_^

I love this statement. It can pretty much apply to anything. We work as teenagers because we want to get good grades, and we work as adults because maybe we want to get a job promotion or anything else. I guess it depends on what you want in life, though.

When you use your gift and work, the work is what you find new interest in, and joy, and life itself. But I guess you're implying the case which isn't that?

Last edited:
There's definitely more to life than work, but if you find a career you enjoy it can be a huge part of what makes life worth living.

Working earns you money which fuels you getting to do all the things you actually want to do in life like buying yourself nice things, buying a house, going on vacations, having a family, having a nice wedding, traveling, etc.

To me life as a realistic concept is really bland since once you have to find work, life is no longer anything else. You'll just have to work to death before you even get a chance to retire. I don't have much expectations or hope for life.

Working earns you money which fuels you getting to do all the things you actually want to do in life like buying yourself nice things, buying a house, going on vacations, having a family, having a nice wedding, traveling, etc.

Working certainly does give you the opportunity to do such things, but it's the money that fuels it, not the work itself. My question stems from a philosophical standpoint, the notion that we supposedly work until we die.

Life for me is about family, friends and building relationships with those you love and care about. Work comes second - it?s mainly about supporting yourself and your family financially. For some people, though, work is about fulfilling a need to serve society.

Back